Why can't we guard the three?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why can't we guard the three?

Why do we make every team look so great from three point range. I don't believe in 'bad luck' or some kind of Koch curse that allows individuals and entire teams that normally shoot 30% from three to hit close to 50% on a seemingly regular basis. With this kind of trend, there must me a specific reason. Is it lack of gaurd heigth, bad defensive schemes, poor individual decision making or what?

I just don't understand why our guards will drop off their man when an opposing guard is driving to the basket. Why do we need to triple team a guy driving into the lane where our big men are already positioned, and leave someone open for an uncontested three? I'm getting sick of it!

Any thoughts?

I saw UTA make quite a few from way beyond the arc.

The guy that lit us up the most was shorter than Matt, so it's not about height.
    "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
    -John Wooden

Comment

im startin to think that with the atmosphere of koch everyone is just elevating there game because there hitting tough contested shots
      ShockerNut 2305

Comment

I understand that when many teams come in here, its the biggest, most exciting game they will probably ever play in their careers, and I guess you could argue that the energy they get from playing in their 'Super Bowl' allows them to play at a higher level than normal. Still though, Duke and KU don't seem to be bothered with that problem...

Comment

Could it be that sometimes our guys get a little tight at home and worry about the crowd, while the other team comes in with something to prove and feeds off the energy?
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

maybe we need to lay someone out. Send a message that you dont shoot in OUR HOUSE>

________
            Daytona
            http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me
              I understand that when many teams come in here, its the biggest, most exciting game they will probably ever play in their careers, and I guess you could argue that the energy they get from playing in their 'Super Bowl' allows them to play at a higher level than normal. Still though, Duke and KU don't seem to be bothered with that problem...
              Because they have a stable full of McDonald's All-Americans... believe me, it makes a huge difference. They can usually just show up and win most of their games... we have to play well to win our games.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Check out these stats from mvc-sports.com

3-POINT FIELD GOAL PCT DEFENSE
                ## Team G FG FGA Pct
                ---------------------------------------------
                1.Northern Iowa....... 8 45 155 .290
                2.Illinois State...... 8 36 117 .308
                3.Creighton........... 6 26 80 .325
                4.Southern Illinois... 5 31 93 .333
                5.Bradley............. 9 50 142 .352
                6.Indiana State....... 7 44 124 .355
                7.Drake............... 8 57 158 .361
                8.Evansville.......... 6 43 116 .371
                9.Missouri State...... 7 49 130 .377
                10.Wichita State....... 8 59 149 .396

Comment

Originally posted by lemuel777
                  Check out these stats from mvc-sports.com

3-POINT FIELD GOAL PCT DEFENSE
                  ## Team G FG FGA Pct
                  ---------------------------------------------
                  1.Northern Iowa....... 8 45 155 .290
                  2.Illinois State...... 8 36 117 .308
                  3.Creighton........... 6 26 80 .325
                  4.Southern Illinois... 5 31 93 .333
                  5.Bradley............. 9 50 142 .352
                  6.Indiana State....... 7 44 124 .355
                  7.Drake............... 8 57 158 .361
                  8.Evansville.......... 6 43 116 .371
                  9.Missouri State...... 7 49 130 .377
                  10.Wichita State....... 8 59 149 .396
                  Adjust for last night and you have 35.4%

Comment

That would be 3 pt FG % allowed, not made.

Comment

so does that mean we are the worst team in the valley in defending the 3 pointer?????

:shock:

Comment

UTA shot 8-19 (.421) 3's

So it is now

9 games

3's made 67

3's attempted 168

percentage .399

So after playing UTA our 3 point defense percentage got worse.

Comment

personally, I'm glad that our guys are getting tested early in the season. I didn't see too many 3's that were gimmes, I think an earlier post has it right, that this is a big-time game for many of these teams and sometimes you get lucky, or in our case unlucky! With the coach we have and the team composition, these early games will pay dividends later in the season.
                          As an aside, I thought it was really a class act for coach to step in for the after game comments and personally respond to fans rather than allowing his assistant coaches or players to take the heat from any misguided "fans." Rome was not built in a day!

Comment

Working...
                          X