• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lineup Analysis - ND Game

For ND game

Best Lineup
    Shamet/Morris/Frankamp/Brown, Kelly) - 9.4 minutes, 18 pts-off, 13 pts-def
    5 other lineup combinations that had a 2 to 3 pt positive point differential.

Worst Lineups
    Willis/Shamet/Frankamp/Brown/Kelly - 7.0 minutes, 12 pts-off, 17 pts-def
    Willis/Brown/Haynes-Jones/Reaves/Kelly - 1.1 minutes, 0 pts-off, 5 pts-off
    Willis/Shamet/Morris/Frankamp/Brown - 2.6 minutes, 2 pts-off, 6 pts-def
    Shamet/Brown/Haynes-Jones/Reaves/Kelly - 1.7 minutes, 0 pts-off, 4 pts-def

Point Differential for game and normalized for 40 minutes
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Offense and Defense for game and normalized for 40 minutes
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
        For ND game

Best Lineup
        Shamet/Morris/Frankamp/Brown, Kelly) - 9.4 minutes, 18 pts-off, 13 pts-def
        5 other lineup combinations that had a 2 to 3 pt positive point differential.

Worst Lineups
        Willis/Shamet/Frankamp/Brown/Kelly - 7.0 minutes, 12 pts-off, 17 pts-def
        Willis/Brown/Haynes-Jones/Reaves/Kelly - 1.1 minutes, 0 pts-off, 5 pts-off
        Willis/Shamet/Morris/Frankamp/Brown - 2.6 minutes, 2 pts-off, 6 pts-def
        Shamet/Brown/Haynes-Jones/Reaves/Kelly - 1.7 minutes, 0 pts-off, 4 pts-def
        Not really sure what the "worst lineups" tell us other than Morris and Nurger were in foul trouble. Shamet, Brown, Kelly, and Willis were all in 3 of those 4 lineups. Morris was only in one and Nurger zero, but, again, they were not able to play near as much as we'd like.

Comment

• SB Shock
          SB Shock commented
          Editing a comment
          Willis is the weak link. Morris stupid fouls hurt WSU. D. Smith would have been very useful in this game.

I don't have any problem with line ups and rotation. Out of our top nine players the only two that
        I don't have complete confidence in yet are DW and SMJ and DW is only a couple of bad forced
        shots a game away. Jones has all the ingredients below the shoulders but needs to understand
        he should be trying to set up his team mates first. I'm just NOT seeing that in him yet. With his
        athleticism he should be an assist machine but that is not the first thought in his head yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Not really sure what the "worst lineups" tell us other than Morris and Nurger were in foul trouble. Shamet, Brown, Kelly, and Willis were all in 3 of those 4 lineups. Morris was only in one and Nurger zero, but, again, they were not able to play near as much as we'd like.
          Shaq had the best tackle I’ve seen since 1986.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

DW is also good for at least 2 feet shuffle turnovers a game for what that’s worth

Comment

as a technical guy.. i enjoy the advanced statistics. didn't realize that shj's +/- for 40mins was that bad. i enjoy the up-tempo style, but sometimes i wish that he would just slow down a little bit.

Comment

Here is the California game. Best lineup were any lineup that didn't have Willis or Haynes-Jones in it.
                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

It seems to me that Willis and SHJ have very similar issues. They both pull the trigger very quickly on the offensive side and both are some what of a liability on the defensive side. SHJ takes way too many risks going for steals that almost always end up hurting the team. Willis seems to get out of position quite frequently. He also is not very good at getting back on his man after help defense.

I do have to say, even though I cringe a little bit every time Willis gets the ball and immediately goes into scoring mode, he has a pretty good success rate. His aggressiveness on the offensive side wouldn't bother me as much if he would play proper D.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                    It seems to me that Willis and SHJ have very similar issues. They both pull the trigger very quickly on the offensive side and both are some what of a liability on the defensive side. SHJ takes way too many risks going for steals that almost always end up hurting the team. Willis seems to get out of position quite frequently. He also is not very good at getting back on his man after help defense.

I do have to say, even though I cringe a little bit every time Willis gets the ball and immediately goes into scoring mode, he has a pretty good success rate. His aggressiveness on the offensive side wouldn't bother me as much if he would play proper D.
                    I mentioned it in the ND gaming thread and you sort of touched on it here. DW and SHJ both enter “scoring mode” and there is a 0% chance the ball is entering another teammate’s hands. They stop evaluating the defense and only look at the hoop. Sometimes it results in points, a lot of times it results in some terrible shot against 2 or 3 defenders collapsing on them.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                      I mentioned it in the ND gaming thread and you sort of touched on it here. DW and SHJ both enter “scoring mode” and there is a 0% chance the ball is entering another teammate’s hands. They stop evaluating the defense and only look at the hoop. Sometimes it results in points, a lot of times it results in some terrible shot against 2 or 3 defenders collapsing on them.
                      With SHJ, I would agree with you for this tournament. Against Charleston, he had 7 assists, yet had only 1 against Cal in comparable minutes. He also had 5 assists against UMKC, but they were a lesser opponent. He really didn't see enough minutes the last 2 games to make much of comment on his passing.

Remember, he played the 2 most of the time for Hutch and was a primary scorer. We'll see how he does with more D-I experience.

Comment

I think SHJ will be just fine. Just needs to learn what will and will not work against better competition.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• SB Shock
                          SB Shock commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, SHJ might have to be given a pass for this tournament since he was sick for the Cal game and may not have been fully recovered for the ND game.

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

With SHJ, I would agree with you for this tournament. Against Charleston, he had 7 assists, yet had only 1 against Cal in comparable minutes. He also had 5 assists against UMKC, but they were a lesser opponent. He really didn't see enough minutes the last 2 games to make much of comment on his passing.

Remember, he played the 2 most of the time for Hutch and was a primary scorer. We'll see how he does with more D-I experience.
                        I don’t even think SHJ is a ball hog or holds onto the ball too much (like I do with DW). SHJ still enters “scoring mode” though. If he were able to look for his shot while still thinking about passing, it would be an improvement.

Comment

As I gaze forward into mid-Jan. 2018 when MM returns, I am elated because this is what I see in terms of a consistent lineup. Actually, it was the common one last Season but with the best bench player group of 5 more deep that we may have ever had here at WSU. 1. LS 2. CF 3. Brown 4. MM 5. Shaq. You could put on a blindfold and point to 1. SHJ 2. AR 3. Kelly 4. Willis 5. Nurger and for subbing players and rarely go wrong with our team versatility.

This bench will rarely, if ever, get outscored by a foes bench. There will be games that players from second five that don't start could be finishers and play more minutes than players listed that start depending on match-ups and who is playing good in various games. Our bench is that solid IMO this Season. If you are on the 2nd team and hot, Marshall will reward you with more minutes that game than a starter who may be off that particular game. Not that many teams out there will be as fortunate as we are on this depth luxury we possess.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                          X