Shockers v Notre Dame Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
    One point loss, in a toss-up game, against a team ranked just seven slots below us, early in the season without last season’s leading scorer.

It’s really just about that complicated.

Sure, dropping the game in the final minutes and seconds like that is painful, but at the start of the season - knowing LS was questionable, and MM out - most of us would have predicted this Maui result as a reasonable and acceptable possible outcome.
    I predicted we lose this game before they played. However, since we had things go right in the first half, the way we lost is hard to swallow
    Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

• I'd rather have gotten blown out by 30 and chalk it up to having an off night, not having MM and ND being on fire than to lose in the manner in which we did. We were the better team for 39 minutes, this type of loss is hard to swallow. This would have been a nice resume builder for seed consideration at the end of the year. It's too early to say Baylor is a must win, but Baylor is a must win. Cal will end up being a PAC 12 bottom feeder, Marquette, OK State and OU are middling Big East and Big 12 teams. We have one more shot to salvage our non-con schedule so Shox....let's see you do it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
        I'd rather have gotten blown out by 30 and chalk it up to having an off night, not having MM and ND being on fire than to lose in the manner in which we did. We were the better team for 39 minutes, this type of loss is hard to swallow. This would have been a nice resume builder for seed consideration at the end of the year. It's too early to say Baylor is a must win, but Baylor is a must win. Cal will end up being a PAC 12 bottom feeder, Marquette, OK State and OU are middling Big East and Big 12 teams. We have one more shot to salvage our non-con schedule so Shox....let's see you do it!
        I’ll take a close loss over getting blown out any day. At some point, voters, selection committee, etc., will see that we played close and we’re not overrated. Agree, we really need to beat Baylor. If we’re as good as they say, we have to beat the best teams.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post
          I'd rather have gotten blown out by 30 and chalk it up to having an off night, not having MM and ND being on fire than to lose in the manner in which we did. We were the better team for 39 minutes, this type of loss is hard to swallow. This would have been a nice resume builder for seed consideration at the end of the year. It's too early to say Baylor is a must win, but Baylor is a must win. Cal will end up being a PAC 12 bottom feeder, Marquette, OK State and OU are middling Big East and Big 12 teams. We have one more shot to salvage our non-con schedule so Shox....let's see you do it!
          Just because we outscored them for 39 minutes didn’t mean we were the better team for that 39. They were the better team most of the last 20 minutes. Coach harps on poise. Our players couldn’t spell it in the second half. Totally played scared, which blows my mind. They act as though a zone is rocket science. For the general basketball fan it was quite a game though.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            Stupid 8th grade fouls by Shaq and Rauno, plus a couple BS calls

Willis's second-grade-like double dribble. Lots of those mental errors. Connor had a weak first-grade-like entry bounce pass that had -50% chance of succeeding. Two guys fumbling rebound with each other and giving up possession. Lots of errors.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• This loss frustrated me more than any other in the last couple years, but there are a lot of key opportunities on the horizon and I'm hopeful the players and staff will learn the requisite lessons and be better for it.

Savannah State will be a nice stat padding snack, and then I am excited to make the trip to Waco for what looks like a very, very challenging matchup against the Bears. OSU in Stillwater should be a fun chance for payback, and OU at IBA may very well be another showdown against a ranked foe given OU's apparent and remarkable improvement over last year.

Really looking forward to the next few weeks.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanielBryan View Post
                Excluding Final 4 year, we always lose big games
                We didn't to the Chickens did we?

Comment

• Originally posted by IndianaShocker View Post

No. ND plays average defense. We are a much tougher, grittier team with better depth and defense. ND's advantage over us at this point is basketball IQ, in game situational coaching, and much more fluid and skilled offensive players. Star players have to lead in these games. ND's two AA candidates combined for 41/11/5, while ours had 18/6/8. Brey outcoached Marshall late. Coach has to get better and so does the team. I know we all love the depth, but there comes a time when chiefs need to be chiefs and indians need to be indians.

And those of you blaming AR, thats fine but really you should blame Shamet and Shaq. They should have closed that game. Instead Ferrell and Bonzie did.
                  I hate to sound like I'm piling on, but where was our preseason All-American when things got tight? Where was the penetration and then the dish, not just the last 5 minutes either, but for the whole game/s?

Comment

• 1. Brey is a really smart coach.

2. I need to get over this.

3. With ten minutes to go, we all knew we were in trouble.

4. Good to see Kelly get some recognition.

5. I think we are a better team.

6. Dunno why anybody would ever play us man-to-man.

7. If anybody has to wear this, it's Shaq, not Reaves.

8. We will drop ten spots, I bet.

9. Coach should used a TO, no doubt. Calm everybody down.

10. Press a little, even on tired legs.

11. Damn. I'm gonna go have some turkey.

Comment

• Originally posted by Root Angry View Post
                      I woke up and first thing that popped into my head is this loss. I hate that. Anybody else have that?

And ND out toughed us in the second half, don't you guys think? They exerted their will on us. We really do need to start recruiting a guy that is a master at operating inside a zone. Like, Coach should start adding that to his recruiting list. If we had a guy that could operate around the free throw line with high efficiency inside that zone, we'd implode the thing every time.

... That's how a zone is countered. Our -ahem- offense was lacking at times on the islands this week.

Comment

• Taylor Eldridge@tayloreldridge 4h4 hours ago More
                        • Copy link to Tweet
                        • Embed Tweet
                        • Mute @tayloreldridge
                        • Unmute @tayloreldridge
                        • Block @tayloreldridge
                        • Unblock @tayloreldridge
                        • Report Tweet
                        • Add to other Moment
                        • Add to new Moment

Went back and looked at WSU's final 10 possessions. 4 points. 2-9 shooting. 3 TO's. Only twice did WSU attack middle of zone. Scored both times on Shamet Js. The other 8 times WSU settled for deep 3s or contested shots & came up empty.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                          One point loss, in a toss-up game, against a team ranked just seven slots below us, early in the season without last season’s leading scorer.

Sure, dropping the game in the final minutes and seconds like that is painful, but at the start of the season - knowing LS was questionable, and MM out - most of us would have predicted this Maui result as a reasonable and acceptable possible outcome.
                          Agreed, I think the way defeat was snatched from the jaws of victory is what hurts. Most of us would have taken 2-1 in Maui losing in the championship knowing MM was out. A better result than our recent holiday tournament performance.
                          Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zubcut View Post
                            I guarantee Providence will move up in the Top 25 after beating mid-major Belmont on a miracle 3 at home, and WSU will drop 10 spots after losing by 1 on a neutral court to a top 13 team after dominating the game for 30 minutes. All with an 80% FT missing a front end and a brick laying 50% FT shooter hitting 2 FTs with 2 seconds left.
                            I say we don't drop that much.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

... That's how a zone is countered. Our -ahem- offense was lacking at times on the islands this week.
                              Yep, let’s load the biddy basketball video for film session work this week.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
                                ShockingButTrue commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Well... It's not rocket science. It could come in handy before the baylor game, yes.

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post

Just because we outscored them for 39 minutes didn’t mean we were the better team for that 39. They were the better team most of the last 20 minutes. Coach harps on poise. Our players couldn’t spell it in the second half. Totally played scared, which blows my mind. They act as though a zone is rocket science. For the general basketball fan it was quite a game though.
                              This

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

And this.

We were up 15 with 18:22 to go. By 10:19 it was a 5 point game. We got it back up to 9 at the 7:13 with a short burst, but that was it.

In the last 11:48, we were outscored 14-27 and 10 of our points came in that 3 minute burst. Outside of that 3 minutes, it was 4-21.

This game should have never gotten to the point that it did. That is on the team and coaches, not one or two players at the end.

Final seconds of game can come down to a guessing game. Do we do this or this?

On the stolen in bounds: Shamet and Reaves crossed sending Shamet to the short side of the court where he wasn't going to get the ball. Reaves' man on the other side did nothing to prevent him from receiving the inbounds pass until it came to him.

On the block and then tie up, had Kelly not turned to his left, does he get tied up without a foul? Last second things are funny that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X