Shox v Cal Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    Never quite understood why basketball coaches feel the need to wear suits and ties.
    Because they are paid like CEO's.

Last year's OSU debacle felt like we were outclassed. This game felt. like we were outhustled and outsmarted. I thought we could turn it around, though the clock started looking grim.

Reaves looked good except for his shot. Stick by my thoughts on his handle overall.

Willis was the Willis we see against legit DI big men.

McDuffie brings another dimension that can't be replicated. Our margin of error is much smaller with him in civvies.
    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Reaves had 4 assists. Shamet, Frankamp, and SHJ had 3 total. The offense could stand some fine tuning between now and tomorrow afternoon. Totally doable, I hope.

Comment

• Saw this on the Cal board --

"Wichita State's entire team look like stereotypical midwesterners."

Ummm. Okay.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
          Saw this on the Cal board --

"Wichita State's entire team look like stereotypical midwesterners."

Ummm. Okay.
          It's flattering knowing they think I, as one of their stereotyped midwesterners, am ridiculously jacked.

Comment

• Shocker Mama
            Shocker Mama commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha! I also have the same exact arm definition as Zach Brown.

• Maybe they think Estonia and Denmark are nearby.

Comment

• bunck
            bunck commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, Estonia KS certainly is...

• Originally posted by FlyingWheat View Post
          Anyone have a good site with real time odds? Curious how low they got.
          My buddy got Wichita State -4 at half and took it.

Texted me after the game and said Georges was on Shaq tonight!

Comment

• Two interestings team stats that paid dividends with the Shocks coming back from an 18 point lead by Cal was benchmarks of Marshall teams here at WSU. First of all, the stat that should most always be in the Shocks favor was 30 bench points for us and only 7 for Cal. 3G recruits only players that have potential to be starters and or finishers and it will be rare as pulling hens teeth that many teams outscore our bench. Cal did also have some solid big men but as they got in foul trouble when the game grinded on in the 2nd half, we ended up with a 48-37 surpass according to Go Shockers.com.

What does it all mean? We win by double digits barely after getting hit in the teeth both the first half and it worsened for another 4 or so minutes to start the 2nd. half. While the Shocks showed resilience by coming back, with the schedule we face this Season, there will be teams that an 18 point deficit in the 2nd half will be next to impossible to overcome. Even so, it is early and we have more experienced players than most any team out there.

We will all be so glad when MM returns. While he led our team in points and rebounds last Season, he also improved in leaps and bounds on defense. Last night, we offer no excuses and are glad to overcome some crazy odds to win. While MM would have been key against a long and tall Cal. team, I also think he could have helped penetrate their zone that seemed to give us fits. In the meanwhile, our other bigs are gaining key minutes of floor time that will only help us to continue to be maybe one of the very best teams in America all Season long in terms of quality depth.
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• My friend and I have dubbed this game the “Wowee in Maui”

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                I liked the polo shirts the Coaching staff was wearing. Would love it if that became standard fair. Never quite understood why basketball coaches feel the need to wear suits and ties.
                For one thing it can send a message to the players that it's time to be serious and get down to business. It's not practice where you get do overs. However we're probably moving to "casual Friday" era.
                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• I commented on another thread a week or two ago that with our depth we could apply full court
                  preasure most of the game and we sure needed the whole second half. Great poise and court
                  sense by AR. Our two centers took control. RN has just become such a solid all around player.
                  DW may lose starting spot again this time to RK. Great grind it out win but lets not ever get THAT
                  far behind again. Come out ready t play at the get go. Poor ball movement and execution
                  against the zone early. Good learning game for us !

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                    For one thing it can send a message to the players that it's time to be serious and get down to business. It's not practice where you get do overs. However we're probably moving to "casual Friday" era.
                    I have heard many players say Shocker practices are much tougher than the games and I don't think the Coaches are wearing suits and ties at the practices. Somehow though they are getting their messsage across. And if the purpose of the suits are to send the message that it's time to be serious and get down to business they should donate the ones they were wearing yesterday to Goodwill.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      I commented on another thread a week or two ago that with our depth we could apply full court
                      preasure most of the game and we sure needed the whole second half. Great poise and court
                      sense by AR. Our two centers took control. RN has just become such a solid all around player.
                      DW may lose starting spot again this time to RK. Great grind it out win but lets not ever get THAT
                      far behind again. Come out ready t play at the get go. Poor ball movement and execution
                      against the zone early. Good learning game for us !
                      I was thinking along those lines as well. I could see either RN or RK taking DW's starting spot if he continues to disappear when he's not scoring.
                      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Can we start calling Rauno the Baltic Bear after last night?
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                          Emotionally invested = rational?

ShockerFever Sorry to interfere with your yellow colored glasses. I thought we were talking about a 40 minute basketball game. For someone who is quick to call out anyone not on the Shocker bandwagon (and just for the record, down 18 I said if we keep it under 20 at the 12:00 timeout, this game is ours) . I thought you were definitely in the “embarrassing” crowd. I guess I wil l have to look back through the thread for your “emotionally positive” comments.
                          If you can’t tell the difference between fans being frustrated with a team down 18 points to a crappy team and blatant trolling, I can’t help you.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                            Can we start calling Rauno the Baltic Bear after last night?
                            I second the nomination!
                            Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Working...
                            X