Shox v Cal Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by I_Vector_Wu View Post

Shocker fans were great, hope we sounded good on the broadcast.

Multiple fans on the AAC board commented on the presence of Shocker fans and I saw someone on the Cal board whine about it being a home game for WSU when the underdogs should've been getting way more local support.

Comment

• I_Vector_Wu
      I_Vector_Wu commented
      Editing a comment
      Outstanding!

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    Also, I'm assuming it's ok that fans were acting like frustrated idiots for the first 30 minutes of that game. Just following the lead of the team.

Regarding Shamet being out so long, not sure if entirely intentional. He went over to the end of the bench several times in that stretch to use the rollers on his legs.
    I'm sure going for 30 plus minutes wasn't going to happen considering he's only been in full contact for a few weeks. Gonna take a bit to get his conditioning back

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

Props to your prayer group. May want to meet earlier tomorrow.
      I didn't pray for our team. In fact, I had to put it aside to concentrate. We pray everyday at 7AM and 5PM Mountain Time.
      Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive. (Mt 21:22)

Comment

• I haven't read any of this thread yet, not sure I'm up to it, but I was in a tape delay mode, having arrived home from work after the game had already started and didn't want to spoil my fun of the beat down. Little did I know it was us on the receiving end of the beat down.

I thought this was going to be another one of those early season tournament meltdowns that seem to plague us every year. This game sure tested us well beyond what I expected but Cal was just on fire and we didn't have any of our own until the middle of the second half. That was a tremendous comeback and as others have posted, the press was a key component as was the play of Nurger and Austin.

i don't remember who was wanking about AR's handles a few threads ago but I think young Mr. Reaves proved that doubter wrong. I thought his ball handling and decision making was pretty solid today.

i think, if we make it that far, that Notre Dame will be a tough out unless someone else steps up in the next couple of games.

Comment

• Wow what a game of half’s, we’ve seen it before, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat. We were just horrible the first half, so many turnovers, lackluster defense and poor shooting to boot. But Marshall teams never give up and our depth and press got us back in the game. Shaq in the second half was unreal and he played like he was showing the scouts, I could be a nice power forward in the league. Shamet, great game, he was on the bad end of a few calls, especially the blocking call. Nurger to me was the X factor tonight, Willis had a tough outing but Nurger has been a steady influence, again our depth is our strength. SHJ needs to slow down a bit but he is fearless, so he will have some growing pains. Great comeback, lot of teams would have folded, we have the big target on our back. On to tomorrow

Comment

• Anyone have a good site with real time odds? Curious how low they got.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
              i think, if we make it that far, that Notre Dame will be a tough out unless someone else steps up in the next couple of games.
              Heck, just about any Top 150 team would be tough out if we play like we did today. Fortunately, I just don't see that happening. Don't have long to wait to see if that is an accurate assessment.

Marquette will be plenty tough. So if the game is at 12:30 pm Wichita time then that means the game is at 8:30 am Maui time. We didn't wake up until around 1:30 pm Maui time today which was a problem since the game started at noon Maui time. Hope the guys can deal with that early start tomorrow.

Comment

• I didn’t realize Austin was only 1-7. He didn’t let it effect the rest of his game. Marshall did lean on him a lot with Shamets foul problems and Conner having an off night. SHJ was too wound-up the first half, Austin gave us a calming presence, not bad for a young gun

Comment

• LAHAINA, HI — A few rooms and hallways stretch underneath the Lahaina Civic Center. The walls down there rattled on Monday. Above, Wichita State was unloading its single-minded pressure on a group of open-mouthed victims from Cal. Attack. Attack. Attack. Most of the building’s 2,200 seats were...

"Much of that stems from who the Shockers are and where they come from. Despite going to six straight NCAA Tournaments with wins over Indiana, Kansas and Arizona, and a trip to the 2013 Final Four, and being currently ranked No. 6 in the country, the program still manages to concoct an underdog disposition. They play like they’re the only ones who believe in themselves. In turn, their fans, easily the largest contingent of the eight schools in Maui, cheer for them with the fire of a thousand suns.

They sound different.

Just like their team."

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

That was a joke. They got in on Friday.
                    Good. Was thinking so. See what happens when one is a bit under the weather. Lol. Brain cramp.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I thought Kelly was a difference maker in the 2nd half along with Nurger. They had 12 offensive boards and provided a bunch of energy.
                      Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
                        I didn’t realize Austin was only 1-7. He didn’t let it effect the rest of his game. Marshall did lean on him a lot with Shamets foul problems and Conner having an off night. SHJ was too wound-up the first half, Austin gave us a calming presence, not bad for a young gun
                        Great point. Clearly Marshall trusts Austin enough to have him out there so much. Samajae too at the end of the game. SHJ gives us a dimension that Daishon could not, on both ends of the floor.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I just got to say, it feels like the big time when Jay Bilas is calling one of our games. It's a great day to be a shocker...once final buzzer sounded.

Comment

• Emotionally invested = rational?

ShockerFever Sorry to interfere with your yellow colored glasses. I thought we were talking about a 40 minute basketball game. For someone who is quick to call out anyone not on the Shocker bandwagon (and just for the record, down 18 I said if we keep it under 20 at the 12:00 timeout, this game is ours) . I thought you were definitely in the “embarrassing” crowd. I guess I wil l have to look back through the thread for your “emotionally positive” comments.

Comment

• I liked the polo shirts the Coaching staff was wearing. Would love it if that became standard fair. Never quite understood why basketball coaches feel the need to wear suits and ties.

Comment

Working...
                              X