No announcement yet.

Shox v Cal Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This game reminds me of just how rare it is for a Shocker team to be down by a lot. I need to enjoy that. I would be very interested to hear what the coaches and players say, but having to dig down and play REEEAAALLLY angry in the 2nd half - consistently like that - may be just what they needed. This team is very talented, but to get to where they want to be they are going to have to play with that kind of fire.

I love Kelly - not sure how much if any he scored outside of free throws, but his energy was incredible. To be fair, the entire team just lit it up from an aggression standpoint all half. Obviously they need to do it for TWO halves, but they kept their heads, dove on the ground, and never gave up when their opponent was shooting lights out.

Shaq is going to have a crazy good year. I think of rim protectors being taller than him, but his explosion and timing are elite. How we contested everything in the 2nd half is what I think of as Shocker D.

Connor struggled with his shot obviously, but what I liked is he stayed aggressive and took it off the dribble more. That is much more important long-term than an ice cold night, and I like having him shoot 10+ shots a game.

I guess we'll see the rest of this week, but this was their first test this year and they responded playing with their hair on fire.

Comment

• Whew...I need a beer. Or 2. Heck maybe 3.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
        Missed the first 5 minutes, so I had to stay off Shockernet.

Havent read the thread but assume we went from arrogant braggers to “Embarrassing” to “Showing our true colors” to “I knew we would win”.

Except ForeverShockerFan. I am sure he never lost hope.

I expected the “so good that our bigs are taking so many ill advised shots” would stop when they started missig.

The good thing is this tournament has already served a purpose. NO ONE is so good to walk through a game against any team. You have to earn it each night. We now know how to overcome adversity. Deal with the Kemba Walker. And most importantly, deal with ourselves.

Our biggest win today wasnt on the scoreboard. It was in the locker room after the game. When we realized we can be an unstoppable force, when the effort is there.

Geaux Shox!
        Same way. I stayed off SN. Only way to keep my blood pressure reasonable.

I'll disagree with some on Reaves. While he didn't shoot well (most of that was the in the first half), he did have 7 rebounds (tying SM for second on the team and 3 more than the other 3 guards combined and also had 4 assists (leading the team), 1 more than the other 3 guards combined.

Comment

• In spite of SHJ's shortcomings, he had a few moments. Remember, this is really his first "real" DI game. I'm not in love with him, but appreciate he just played with the best athletes he has ever seen. Rauno's strong performance may be a bit tinged by the turnovers in the first half, but he was great on the front of the press and then cleaning up underneath. The Shocks needed them both
          Robin Roberts: "My mother used to say, when you strut, you stumble."

Comment

• Zach and Shaq were the only guys who played over 25 minutes. Wouldn't have guessed that.

Comment

• whoops
              Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Brown hasn’t played a good game yet this year.
                Brown had a bad game, until the last five minutes or so, then did the little thing gs that make him the player his is:

- Makes that diving play for the ball
                - Draws that big jumpball
                - Makes that huge MJ-eske layup

Still want to see it for a full game though!
                The Assman

Comment

• im4wsu
                  im4wsu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And four steals. He was exhausted from pressing and pressing. Hats off to his huge part in this team victory

• im4wsu
                  im4wsu commented
                  Editing a comment
                  And four steals. He was exhausted from pressing and pressing. Hats off to his huge part in this team victory

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                Rooting for Cal against VCU tomorrow. Might be tough for them to bounce back from this loss though. They clearly were all in today.
                VCU will beat them by 20 tomorrow. They Super Bowl'ed it indeed.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

Brown had a bad game, until the last five minutes or so, then did the little thing gs that make him the player his is:

- Makes that diving play for the ball
                  - Draws that big jumpball
                  - Makes that huge MJ-eske layup

Still want to see it for a full game though!
                  Ehhhhh, I'll quantify that his D improved in the second half....he still missed three after three.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                    We won this game because of Shaq.
                    With help from their two bigs fouling out.

Comment

• The best thing about this game is our team gets a learning moment while still getting the W. You can bet there will be some tongue lashing even though we won.

Comment

• I had to break out the whiskey with 4 to go. I hate doing that the first game. Gregg owes me a bottle.
                        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                          Missed the first 5 minutes, so I had to stay off Shockernet.

Havent read the thread but assume we went from arrogant braggers to “Embarrassing” to “Showing our true colors” to “I knew we would win”.

Except ForeverShockerFan. I am sure he never lost hope.

I expected the “so good that our bigs are taking so many ill advised shots” would stop when they started missig.

The good thing is this tournament has already served a purpose. NO ONE is so good to walk through a game against any team. You have to earn it each night. We now know how to overcome adversity. Deal with the Kemba Walker. And most importantly, deal with ourselves.

Our biggest win today wasnt on the scoreboard. It was in the locker room after the game. When we realized we can be an unstoppable force, when the effort is there.

Geaux Shox!
                          Apologies to the emotionally fragile that rainbows and unicorns weren't flying around here down 18 to a PAC-12 bottom-dweller in the 2nd half.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Apologies to the emotionally fragile that rainbows and unicorns weren't flying around here down 18 to a PAC-12 bottom-dweller in the 2nd half.
                            It's not like posters are fans or anything that are emotionally invested.
                            The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• It's certainly you're right to press, cry, yell, stomp, throw a hammer through your tv screen, scream, tear your clothes off and anything else you want to do as long as you don't hit your wife. Others may not want to tune in to other's tirades. Everything's good.

Comment

Working...
                              X