Warren Nolan ELO 8 35 34
    KPI Sports 16 70 -
    ESPN BPI 10 83 -
    Massey Ratings 10 25 -
    Sagarin Ratings 12 61 -
    Team Rankings 8 23 9
    Donchess Ratings 11 19 -
    LRMC Ratings 19 77 64
    "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

What is great is after Thursday night's RPI killing game at ECU (#314) we only have 2 games the rest of the regular season against opponents currently outside the top 100, with Memphis being the lowest at #138. Such a refreshing change from the last decade in the Valley...

With that being said, with how things are currently sitting there are very few opportunities for WSU to secure marquee wins (top 50 RPI) to hang their hat on come selection Sunday. Currently Temple (#43) and Cincinnati (#35) are the only 2 remaining opponents in the top 50, with Houston (#54), UCF (#58), and SMU (#64) currently right on the cusp. I think it is fairly safe to say Temple will probably fall out of the top 50 by years end, which makes it imperative that 1) we at a bare minimum split the Cincinnati series and 2) that some teams from the on the cusp group (hopefully all 3) are able to separate themselves and climb in to the top 50. We are currently 1-2 against the top 50, with our lone win coming again Marquette, which is not a lock to stay in the top 50 by years end. Baylor and OSU have the potential to move in to the top 50 if they have a good conference record, but both teams are currently trending towards being in the bottom half of their league (top half of the Big 12 is very strong this year, so that is not as bad as it sounds).For reference, last years team played 6 top 50 games (2-4).

My point is with the selection committee's emphasis on marquee wins, which we here at shockernet are all too familiar with, we may need to temper expectations for seeding. Last year SMU was 30-4 overall, 2-3 against the top 50 (with both wins being top 25), and only 1 loss outside the top 50 (it was still within the top 100), yet they were given a 6 seed... If we end up going 17-1 in conference like they did last year I do believe that our resume will be stronger, but don't be surprised if we end up going 30-3 and get a 4 or 5 seed. It may turn out that a few of the second tier teams in the AAC separate themselves and we head in to selection Sunday with a fair amount of top 50 wins, but it is definitely something that we should monitor as the season progresses.

All of that being said, I will take being an under-seeded 4 seed over being an under-seeded 10 every single time. It is great to be in the AAC!

Comment

• AndShock
        AndShock commented
        Editing a comment
        Keep in mind that for this year the wins we want are top 30 for home games, top 50 for neutral, and top 75 for road games. Still plenty of opportunities for Tier 1 wins.

Keep in mind .. with the new Tier system a win @RPI75 = home win vs RPI25. So 5-6 potential tier 1 games left

Our wins @Baylor, @OSU and neutral vs Marquette should all be Tier 1

Comment

• shocks02
        shocks02 commented
        Editing a comment
        Our wins @OSU and N-Marquette both project as Tier 2. They're both right on that borderline but each has work to do over the next two months.

Need to adjust mindset away from Top 50 and Top 100 when assessing quality wins, as that is the old framework for the nitty gritty sheets.

Groups 1, 2, 3 and 4 are the new soup du jour. Lots of opportunities coming up for our guys to get Group 1 and Group 2 wins.

Comment

Because I got curious, using RPIForecast which uses Sagarin Predictor for it's model, here is what our Group 1 and Group 2 games look like:
        Group1
        Notre Dame
        @Baylor
        Oklahoma
        @Houston
        @Temple
        @Cinci
        @SMU
        @UCF
        Cinci

Group 2
        Marquette
        South Dakota St
        @Oklahoma St
        @UConn
        Houston
        @Tulsa
        SMU
        UCF
        Temple

9 of each. That's incredible compared to our previous schedules. Heck even if we go back to the old top 50 and 51-100 categories its 9 and 7, that top 50 number blows away any schedule we've had since 2006. For reference the 2006 schedule had an absurd 14 top 50 games but only 2 more 51-100.

Comment

• ShockCrazy
          ShockCrazy commented
          Editing a comment
          Needless to say if this team finishes with 5 or less losses overall we won't be getting under seeded. Assuming an additional group 1 and group 2 game for the conference tournament we are looking at 15-5 record against groups 1 and 2. That at it's weakest is 5-5 group 1 and 10-0 group, with a sub 10 RPI. That resume gets a protected seed easy even at 28-5.

wichita-state-rankings.jpeg
        Wichita State was ranked No. 7 in the preseason AP Top 25.

"Do Preseason Rankings Predict NCAA Tournament Success?"
        - HERO Sports

By Andrew Doughty
        Published on January 11, 2018 at 9:40 AM EST

"The 21st-ranked team in the Preseason AP Top 25 has missed the NCAA Tournament four straight years.

Two hundred and seventy-six teams have been ranked in the preseason AP Top 25 since 2006. Forty -- or nearly 15 percent -- have failed to not only match expectations of a good seed in the NCAA Tournament, they've whiffed on the tournament entirely.

Preseason and weekly polls exist purely for entertainment purposes. They are not an accurate assessment of the state college basketball, mean nothing outside of perception and are not used as an evaluation tool by the NCAA Tournament selection committee.

AP preseason rankings are not accurate in predicting regular-season or postseason success but they have produced interesting trends over the last decade that -- if history repeats itself -- suggest some 2017-18 preseason Top 25 teams could be in trouble. A review of the last 11 years of the preseason AP poll revealed that certain preseason slots are more likely to yield NCAA tournament success, or failure.

In the following data (updated from last year), we excluded play-in games because they're weak. Average tourney seed is calculated from only teams who made the tourney but average tourney games won was calculated from total teams -- because losing in the first round is almost as bad as missing the tourney altogether...."

Comment

Shouldn't the above post be in the media thread.
          "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

It fits both topics

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post

Preseason and weekly polls ...mean nothing outside of perception and are not used as an evaluation tool by the NCAA Tournament selection committee.
              That's the "official" position, but the selection committee is made up of people who, we hope, have followed basketball throughout the season. If they've followed basketball, they are incredibly likely to have watched the polls. After seeing a team ranked in the polls for 4 months, it would be awfully hard for humans to not give that team a slot in the tournament. If a ranked team was left out of the tournament, the outcry would be overwhelming.

Jerry Palm isn't used in the seeding criteria either, but I'd wager that if he hadn't gone on his months-long campaign to discredit WSU last year, the Shox would have gotten a better seed.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

And reading that article, UCLA is also having a bad year, being ranked 21st in the Preseason, amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                  Shouldn't the above post be in the media thread.
                  Welcome to the world of a moderator; damned if you do, damned if you don’t.
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• pogo
                    pogo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thats why they get the big bucks:)
                Working...
                X