Official Wichita State vs College of Charleston Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I agree he has improved on the defense side of things (against vastly inferior competition) but I’m not sure how I feel about DW taking 13 shots per game, unless 95% of those 13 are from point-blank range.
    I really don't have an issue with DW taking 13 shots as long as they are good shots that come in the flow of the offense and the game. I don't consider the "Hey my teammates threw me the ball so they must want be to shoot it" approach to be in the flow of the offense but maybe it is. That said Darral has the talent and skills to be a very key component of this TEAM and no reason to think he can't be or he won't be. He just needs to develop a little more patience and be more selective in picking his spots IMHO and trust the team concept to produce the best results.

Comment

SHJ had some JUCO moments, but his upside is huge! He had seven assists to one TO. He’s showing better than Daishon right now and better than Ragland until March of his junior year. He has been a great addition!

Willis is a big, mean dude! He’s playing with a fire in his belly and it will pay off.

The depth on on this team reminds me of when Ragland, Murry, Kyles, Smith, and Stutz were seniors, except better.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Bluzrover
        Bluzrover commented
        Editing a comment
        I found the comments last night during the broadcast to be interesting in that Daishon left because of Samajae. I hadn't considered that until they mentioned it but I have to admit I didn't really think SHJ would take minutes from a senior PG who had been with the team and knew the system. Regardless, I'm pretty happy to have Mr. Jones on board and expect him to slow his ass down a bit in the next few weeks.

Originally posted by Heinro View Post
      Our depth at the guard positions looked a little concerning last night. Long season, but right now SHJ and Reaves don't look ready to play high quality opponents.
      Thought this Taylor Eldridge (@tayloreldridge) quote was interesting...

"This Frankamp/Samajae/Reaves/Shaq/Nurger lineup is killing for WSU. So hard for defenses to guard, especially when Shaq hits a 3 like that. That lineup reels off 12-3 run in final 2:40 to go up 47-22 at halftime."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Our depth at the guard positions looked a little concerning last night. Long season, but right now SHJ and Reaves don't look ready to play high quality opponents.
        I don't necessarily disagree, however I think there are 2 important things to keep in mind:

1.) You aren't going to look as good when you are replacing Shamet/Frankamp. You can be very good and still look noticeably worse when replacing that combo.

2.) This isn't a WSU-specific problem. 300 teams in the country would be ecstatic to have SHJ and Reaves as their starting guard combo. WSU has them as the backup guard combo. Other 'high quality opponents' also have a drop-off to the 2nd team.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

I don't necessarily disagree, however I think there are 2 important things to keep in mind:

1.) You aren't going to look as good when you are replacing Shamet/Frankamp. You can be very good and still look noticeably worse when replacing that combo.

2.) This isn't a WSU-specific problem. 300 teams in the country would be ecstatic to have SHJ and Reaves as their starting guard combo. WSU has them as the backup guard combo. Other 'high quality opponents' also have a drop-off to the 2nd team.
          If I might add:

3.) Given his fast progression last year and the injuries/surgery/illness that AR is coming off of and the fewer-than-normal first year JUCO moments that SHJ is having, the future looks bright for these two.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

If I might add:

3.) Given his fast progression last year and the injuries/surgery/illness that AR is coming off of and the fewer-than-normal first year JUCO moments that SHJ is having, the future looks bright for these two...
            ... Further, this rotation gives the Shockers an element they were sincerely lacking last season. It strengthens our bench by leaps (cohesion)!
            Last edited by ShockingButTrue; November 14, 2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I am very pessimistic or optimistic, not sure how to look at it, that Willis is anything more than a 5-10 minute a game guy after we are a few games into conference play and they realize he has no right hand.

It's November 14.

I'd bet the farm that Willis averages over 10 minutes per game in Jan-Mar.
              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

1. Great job by Coach Grant convincing his guys to win the second half.

2. All his guys were buff, also.

3. Not the first time Landry has been in foul trouble.

4. Kelly is a winner.

5. DW still hunts his shot a bit too much. Have not seen the right hand yet.

6. I saw Poo Bear in the concourse at half. That kid is wide.

7. Might have been the most traveling calls I ever saw in one game.

8. I don't think CJ gets many minutes if he comes back.

9. Nice hand for Mattie.

10. When the game is going on, that glare off the floor is not near as noticeable.

11. Listened to the Locker Room show with Bob joining Ted. Huge improvement over last year.

12. Bad game for Brown. Got beat several times. Don't think he was 100%.

13. If Shaque was 6'9" he might be a first round pick.

14. Yeah, the refs hosed us.

Comment

- Shaq taking the ball to the basket using his dribble is quite imposing. Only a man is going to step in to take a charge.
                  - Haven't seen Darral use the right hand. However, if he's forced to use it the summer work can only help. Not too worried about scouting reports. There's too much firepower on this team to focus on one player. Time will tell.
                  - We're seeing a less than 100% Landry. Everybody was so glad to see him back that we forget how little time he's spent on the court. His best is yet to come.
                  - Same goes for Austin as far as lack of preseason work. I think Austin will show us he's more tan a three point shooter. He had a nice drive and a pull up jumper last night. I hop for more of that from him.
                  - Rauno's spin to his left is becoming his signature move. Very effective.
                  - SHJ still has a little juco in him but there's much more that's positive.
                  - Conner is being more aggressive which is good, not searching but taking advantage of opportunities.
                  - Zach and Rashard don't have to score for this team to win. Just do what you do guys.
                  - Really think Asbjorn has a bright future. Redshirt was not right for his development. He needs game minutes, however few that might be.
                  - Markis will need time. If ever there was a team that can afford to give it to him this is probably it.
                  Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• They will improve with every game, but right now I too am a little concerned about our back-ups at the 1 and 2, with our competition getting tougher and tougher.

Comment

• I'm reeaaaaaaaaaallly confused by the concern with SHJ and Reaves. Both pass the eye test. And not only that SHJ is tied for the team lead in assists and is averaging 6 a game to only 1 turnover. Austin while hasn't been incredibly active yet, still has played 33 minutes already, in those minutes he's only has a 1.008 true shooting %, 100% EFG%, and an offensive rating north of 170. For those not informed on advanced stats, those are unreal even for a small sample size and low usage rate. Certainly both will come back to earth statistically but nothing I've seen on the floor indicates they aren't more than prepared for the roles asked of them.

Comment

• On the broadcast last night, one of the announcers was talking about Reaves and said that he looks taller than 6'5". So how tall is he really?

Comment

• As a team, we only have seven steals. It is very difficult to play great team defense when the other team doesn't pass the ball (only 10 assists total for the two opponents). Most of the dribble drive and fouling occurred in the second half when we were relly tinkering with different lineups. Things will improve drastically as we get experience together.

Coc was ranked 77 in Kenpom; the highest in the MVC is Illinois State at 94 and Missouri State at 96. Last season we beat those two teams at CKA 86-45 and 80-62 on Feb 4 and Feb 9 (much later in the season).
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• If Willis had a high BBIQ or even just the ability to pass he would go down as a Shocker great but he's really only going to be remembered as a black hole. If this were 10 years ago, I would have no problem with Willis's play but he's usually option #4 on the floor for who I would choose to take some ridiculous shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              11. Listened to the Locker Room show with Bob joining Ted. Huge improvement over last year.
                              Agree...

I listened to the WSU Locker Room Show after the UMKC game and again last night. IMO, pretty darn entertaining. Ted ‘FINALLY’ has a co-host. Even the ‘Lutz’ haters need to give it a try. The exchange with Mike Pelphrey was ‘comedy gold’. Mike was at Twin Peaks enjoying himself and stopped by the booth to say hi. I haven’t laughed that hard in a long time.

The WSU Locker Room Show LIVE from Twin Peaks East
                              http://www.keyn.com/wsu-locker-room-...win-peaks-east
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                              X