Devon Smith, Manager of Player Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devon Smith, Manager of Player Development

I was pretty unaware that we had a Manager of Player Development until I got on GoShockers.

Re: Devon Smith, Manager of Player Development

Originally posted by Snapshot9
    I was pretty unaware that we had a Manager of Player Development until I got on GoShockers.

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...&Q_SEASON=2010
    They introduced him and the other coaches during the awards presentation in NYC... impressive bio and good find S9.

:good: :good:
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

i've had the pleasure to meet Devon a few times. Really nice guy.

Comment

Devon Smith

I met Devon last summer and agree. He's very well spoken. I happened to meet him at the same time that Carl Hall was here for his official recruiting visit, not that Devon was involved with that aspect.

Comment

Re: Devon Smith

Originally posted by xazshox
          I met Devon last summer and agree. He's very well spoken. I happened to meet him at the same time that Carl Hall was here for his official recruiting visit, not that Devon was involved with that aspect.
          I don't want to turn this into something this thread isn't so if anyone reads this and wants to take this past what I'm saying I just want you to know that there are some awesome dofo threads waiting for you.

"Very well spoken" is a phrase that shouldn't be used. In and of itself there is nothing wrong* with those three words. However there are still a number of people that use that phrase in a very disgusting way. Those idiots have taken away that compliment. Those who use those words for hate mean it as a backhanded remark, as if to say "very well spoken, for a n..." I say that these stains on humanity say these things because I've heard it said as recently as a few months ago.

So, you didn't mean anything by it except to say he is an intelligence guy and you were glad to meet him. You just happened to use some words that you thought were safe but had been polluted. No harm, no foul. You may say the words again and again mean nothing bad by it. However, I would ask that you and others don't use that phrase anymore. It is radioactive and just needs to be put aside until the bad people die and are rotting in hell.

Ok, massive detour there. Again, if you feel the need to reply to this post, pick one of my posts in a DOFO thread instead. I've already detoured enough for ShockerNet; but if you couldn't tell I really hate racism.

* I subscribe to the George Carlin school of thought when it comes to wrong or dirty words. There are no dirty words, just dirty thoughts, actions, and people. Thus why I pass no judgment on xazshox -- I have no idea what his thoughts were and I assume they were noble.

Comment

He's someone with a Communications degree from The Ohio State, who's worked for ESPN and Fox Sports as an analyst.

Some might call that well-spoken...
            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
            -John Wooden

Comment

You've gone way off the path, Rosewood. tsk tsk I take xazshock's post to mean that Devon is a well-spoken young man. He certainly seems to be a successful young man, judging by his credentials.

I must say, except for a five minute stretch in San Dog, a few head-scratching home losses, and a loss in St lou to iSU-B, Wichita State was highly developed this year. I wonder how much Devon contributed to that.

Comment

Can I be very well spoken?

I am not fluent in "ebonics".
                I try to speak the "Queen's english".
                My skin is light!

Get over your thin skinned self, who the hell cares! No mention was made of skin color, only of the way one presented himself verbally. Lose the bleeping hyphens, be an American and don't worry about being "PC".

Political Correctness is a liberal method created to divide and destroy this country...IMHO! I can find a reason to be offended for just about anything if I choose to give someone else enough power over me to allow it. I choose not to allow it and neither should anyone else! That is all!

Comment

Sorry Rosewood, I can't help but to reply to that left field comment. Had NO IDEA what race he was and in fact I still don't, but I now believe Devon to a minority based on YOUR comments. You have introduced race into this thread.

Saying someone is well spoken IS NOT a back-handed comment. It is a compliment for someone that you have casually met once or twice, or as in this instance, heard speak at an event. Let me see if I can think of another way to say "Well Spoken?" How about "he sounded intelligent." Not an insult UNLESS I ADD THE LAST THREE WORDS TO THE STATEMENT THAT YOU TRIED TO INFER. It's those worde that you spouted and nothing else that is racist.

Perhaps in a face-to-face there could be a tone or body language that would make it a racist comment, but that just didn't happen here.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Funny while reading on the bigredinsider.com (lamar university forum) about the Pat Knight press conference I saw the term "well spoken" used to describe Pat several times. Who knew Pat wasn't white?

Comment

Coach Gross is not well-spoken.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
                        I don't want to turn this into something this thread isn't so if anyone reads this and wants to take this past what I'm saying I just want you to know that there are some awesome dofo threads waiting for you.

"Very well spoken" is a phrase that shouldn't be used. In and of itself there is nothing wrong* with those three words. However there are still a number of people that use that phrase in a very disgusting way. Those idiots have taken away that compliment. Those who use those words for hate mean it as a backhanded remark, as if to say "very well spoken, for a n..." I say that these stains on humanity say these things because I've heard it said as recently as a few months ago.

So, you didn't mean anything by it except to say he is an intelligence guy and you were glad to meet him. You just happened to use some words that you thought were safe but had been polluted. No harm, no foul. You may say the words again and again mean nothing bad by it. However, I would ask that you and others don't use that phrase anymore. It is radioactive and just needs to be put aside until the bad people die and are rotting in hell.

Ok, massive detour there. Again, if you feel the need to reply to this post, pick one of my posts in a DOFO thread instead. I've already detoured enough for ShockerNet; but if you couldn't tell I really hate racism.

* I subscribe to the George Carlin school of thought when it comes to wrong or dirty words. There are no dirty words, just dirty thoughts, actions, and people. Thus why I pass no judgment on xazshox -- I have no idea what his thoughts were and I assume they were noble.
                        We have a nomination for a Top 10 dumbazz post of the month. 8)
                        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

To begin with, (and don’t take this the wrong way – you have always appeared to be a sensible fellow) it is pusillanimous to make this type of statement and then demand there be no response. Also, I consider myself fairly well read, and this is the first I have heard that the phrase “very well spoken” is no longer to be used in polite discourse. I suppose I will add it to the List (pretty soon all our sentences will be fragmented).

To be thought as a very well spoken individual is compliment regardless of race. Thomas Sowell, for example, is a very good speaker and writer – outclassing almost everyone you listen to and see on television nowadays. Do you think anyone should care, that he is a black man who grew up in Harlem? Do you think all the praise of his towering intellect are merely backhanded compliments? Is it a slight to think of Marco Rubio as “very well spoken”?

Frankly, racial hang-ups, litigiousness, extreme political correctness in language, etc. are some of things that really aggravate me. Political correctness? Speech codes and all the rest? All have become, as you demonstrated, very American. And, yes, we are a stupid country, in many respects. You would do well, Rosewood, to not get your panties in a twist, take a beat, and actually reflect on what you wrote – and why it was horribly inappropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie

To begin with, (and don’t take this the wrong way – you have always appeared to be a sensible fellow) it is pusillanimous to make this type of statement and then demand there be no response. Also, I consider myself fairly well read, and this is the first I have heard that the phrase “very well spoken” is no longer to be used in polite discourse. I suppose I will add it to the List (pretty soon all our sentences will be fragmented).

To be thought as a very well spoken individual is compliment regardless of race. Thomas Sowell, for example, is a very good speaker and writer – outclassing almost everyone you listen to and see on television nowadays. Do you think anyone should care, that he is a black man who grew up in Harlem? Do you think all the praise of his towering intellect are merely backhanded compliments? Is it a slight to think of Marco Rubio as “very well spoken”?

Frankly, racial hang-ups, litigiousness, extreme political correctness in language, etc. are some of things that really aggravate me. Political correctness? Speech codes and all the rest? All have become, as you demonstrated, very American. And, yes, we are a stupid country, in many respects. You would do well, Rosewood, to not get your panties in a twist, take a beat, and actually reflect on what you wrote – and why it was horribly inappropriate.
                            For your reading pleasure: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/we...gewanted=print

Comment

For the record, many consider me to be pretty intelligent. But I'm hardly "well spoken". Just saying. :D

Also for the record, I had no idea what his race was until Rosewood brought it up. We all like Rosewood but his post here was baffling and out of left field.

If Devon is as good a guy as you all make him out to be, we're lucky to have him here. I don't know the man.
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
                              X