Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017-18 "Mid-Major" Power Rankings

Just a few comments first,

1. I am only posting as there are teams we will play in our upcoming season and some of the information is interesting.

2. I wish Wichita State would play more of these top rated “Mid-Major” teams, even in Home/Home arrangements.

3. Wichita State is unlikely to be mentioned in any of the more popular “Mid-Major Rankings” (like: Yahoo Sports; College Insider, Mid-Major Madness; ESPN; etc.,) Yes, there will still be individual writers and bloggers who mention Wichita State as a “Mid-Major”, but this will become less and less as this season develops and as our membership in the AAC (American Athletic Conference) matures.

4. I use to look forward every week when the new “Mid-Major Rankings” were published, because I was just excited to see the Shockers even mentioned. Now, I open my laptop each day and instead of “Mid-Major Rankings” I see full and lead articles and mentions like: Top 10 (ESPN, AP Polls, Coaches Polls, National Writers, Statisticians, and etc.,); Power Program; Elite Conference; Team to Fear; High Major; and on and on and on. It’s been a wonderful ride!

"2017-18 Mid-Major Preseason Power Rankings" - Yahoo Sports

by Raphielle Johnson, NBC Sports
    October 30, 2017

https://sports.yahoo.com/2017-18-mid...182150969.html

"The question of what programs qualify as “high-majors” and which are “mid-majors” has been one that’s been up for argument since the late-1990’s (a gift given to us by the Bowl Championship Series).

For the sake of this post, members of the following conferences will be excluded: ACC, American, Big 12, Big East, Big Ten, Mountain West, Pac-12, SEC.

We’ll also be leaving out BYU and Gonzaga of the WCC, which is likely to fire up our readers with Saint Mary’s’ interests.

While it can certainly be argued that some teams within some of these conferences would qualify as mid-major, the split described above makes the below list a little easier to navigate.

While this portion of college basketball has taken some hits in recent years due to conference realignment, with Wichita State now in the American and many of the Atlantic 10’s gains (to make up for the losses of Butler, Temple and Xavier) coming at the expense of the CAA, there are still incredibly talented teams and players to keep an eye on.

Below are some of the best mid-major programs in the country entering the 2017-18 season.

1. Saint Mary’s
    2. UT-Arlington
    3. Missouri State – This ranking is probably their highest honor in the 21st century.
    4. Oakland
    5. Middle Tennessee
    6. Yale
    7. College of Charleston - we play them on Monday, November 13.
    8. Vermont
    9. Bucknell
    10. FGCU - we play them on Friday, December 22.
    11. San Francisco
    12. Belmont
    13. Mercer - "first season at Mercer, Ria'n Holland, who began at Wichita State before spending a season at Indian Hills CC, avg. 17.2 points."
    14. Albany
    15. Louisiana Tech
    16. Harvard
    17. Grand Canyon
    18. Furman
    19. Western Michigan
    20. Western Kentucky…”

Yeah, it's a new era in Wichita, that's for sure. On one hand, the "mid-major" tag gave us a real chip on the shoulder attitude that Marshall was a master at playing. On the other hand, the respect the program is finally getting has so many upsides. But I'm sure Gregg will find new ways to motivate his team.

Comment

I think Loyola Chicago will have a good year. They return their three best players (all upper-class men), and bring in a JUCO AA. A transfer becomes eligible (11 PPG at Fairleigh Dickinson), and they get three outstanding freshman (two of which are top 150 bigs).

Of note, they also got a commit from a top 100 post for next year.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
        Yeah, it's a new era in Wichita, that's for sure. On one hand, the "mid-major" tag gave us a real chip on the shoulder attitude that Marshall was a master at playing. On the other hand, the respect the program is finally getting has so many upsides. But I'm sure Gregg will find new ways to motivate his team.
        Being in the American is a GREAT way to maintain that chip. It’s a bunch of teams that are better than most of the Power5, but don’t fit in overall.
        Livin the dream

Comment

MWC seems to be teetering on Mid-Major status. Fans of those schools should be worried.

Comment

Having MSU at number 3 with no other MVC team mentioned is a head scratcher. Don't see the Bears as head and shoulders above the rest of the Valley.
            Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

"College basketball preview: Five mid-major teams with Cinderella breakout ability" - USA TODAY Sports

by Scott Gleeson
              Published 3:49 p.m. ET Nov. 7, 2017

"Less than a week away from the start of the college basketball season, USA TODAY Sports examines some of the most intriguing story lines in its Starting Five series.

Today, five mid-major teams that could play Cinderella...

College of Charleston (WSU Non-Conference Opponent)
              Behind the return of reigning CAA player of the year Joe Chealey (17.8 ppg), one of the top six returning scorers, the Cougars have the weaponry and experience to win the league and reach their first NCAA tournament since ’99. Coach Earl Grant has fostered a unique brand of unselfishness, a key ingredient to guard-heavy teams that thrive in the NCAAs against Goliaths...."

Comment

77777 9o

Comment

Originally posted by Chubs View Post
                  77777 9o
                  Chubs your first post was legit. What's this about?
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

That was me putting my phone in my pocket without it being locked, sorry

Comment

• Rocky Mountain Shock
                      Rocky Mountain Shock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's hilarious

• ShockerDropOut
                      ShockerDropOut commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Butt dialed ShockerNet. Gotta luv that!

• Shocker Mama
                      Shocker Mama commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Whew --I thought it was some kind of new ranking, or Ken Pom, or BPI or something that I needed to figure out.

"Mid Major Preview" - NBA Draft

By George_Keiter
                    Mon, 11/13/2017 - 10:29am

"Our college blogs are broken into seven parts, with one for each of the Power 5 (ACC, SEC, Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12) plus the Big East and my "Mid Major Blog" which will cover everything else. Mid-Major schools are generally the teams that will bust your bracket. They also consistently turn overlooked recruits into stars. Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard and CJ McCollum are just a few of the recent Mid-Major examples to make a huge impact in the NBA. Here are some of the teams and players to be on the lookout for as the season gets underway.

Top Ten

1.) Wichita State Shockers
                    (AAC) 31-5, 17-1
                    Key Additions: Isaiah Chandler – C
                    Key Departures: None

Landry Shamet

Now a perennial Mid-Major powerhouse, Wichita State tops the preseason rankings. Considered by many to be a top-ten team in the nation, they return nearly all of their key players that led them to the round of 32, before losing by three points to second-seeded Kentucky. This includes their top eight scorers from last season.

Star lead guard Landry Shamet broke his right foot this offseason, but returned to score 17 in their season opener, a 52-point victory over UMKC. If he is at full strength, this looks to be yet another dominant season for the Shockers, who are an elite defensive group that does not rely on only one scorer. No one on this team will average 20 points a game.

This is their first year in the AAC, moving from the MVC, which should help them be seeded in a more deserving spot. When a team that goes 31-5 is given a ten seed, questions about strength of schedule come into question. Their record may not be as strong this season simply due to the strength of the AAC compared to the MVC (Wichita went 17-1 in conference last season).

With annual games against the likes of Cincinnati and UConn along with a consistently-improving out-of-conference schedule, a strong season from the Shockers will easily give them their seventh consecutive tournament appearance and should put them in position to earn a top four seed.

2.) Cincinnati Bearcats
                    3.) Saint Mary’s Gaels
                    4.) Gonzaga Bulldogs
                    5.) Nevada Wolf Pack
                    6.) San Diego State Aztecs
                    7.) UCF Knights
                    8.) SMU Mustangs
                    9.) Charleston Cougars
                    10.) Temple Owls..."

Comment

Triggered.

Comment

AAC, Mid-Major? That’s cute.

What other mid-major conference has 3 ranked football teams AND is also going to have multiple bids in the NCAA tourney?

#AmericanPow6r
                        The Assman

Comment

I’m can deal with WSU still being lumped in as a MM - it’s dumb but whatever. But to call Cincy a MM is bordering on intellectual retardation.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                            I’m can deal with WSU still being lumped in as a MM - it’s dumb but whatever. But to call Cincy a MM is bordering on intellectual retardation.
                            The whole thing he’s just saying the AAC is “mid-major”, which is also, at this point, asinine.
                            The Assman

Comment

Working...
                            X