Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017-18 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From our side of he fence I am voting for Cincy to do well. I think the higher the profile for both teams come February 18th and March 4th and beyond the better.

Comment

• atlwsu
      atlwsu commented
      Editing a comment
      Think the same for SMU

It definitely feels weird to root for conference foes while in conference play, but that's what I'm doing this year. I want UCF, SMU, and Cinci to win all the games they are supposed to to help strengthen our conference. Maybe after a couple years I'll start to hate them. But for now, I'm just too damn happy to be in a new conference.

Comment

I find it hard to root for Jank...he still has that taint left on him from isur

Comment

This conference is doing the same thing the Valley used to do when the Valley was a stronger conference. Teams are cannibalizing each other resulting in fewer teams getting at large bids.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          This conference is doing the same thing the Valley used to do when the Valley was a stronger conference. Teams are cannibalizing each other resulting in fewer teams getting at large bids.
          Not ;like the Big 12 where if KU loses, every other decent team takes it upon themselves to lose two times.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            Hopefully we can get the bottom of the league strong enough in a few years so that the cannibalization will start to result in more bids just like what happens with the other power conferences.
            Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Comment

• ShockdaWorld
                ShockdaWorld commented
                Editing a comment
                Looking forward to seeing that. Sounds like he could be quite a player when healthy.

"Cincinnati Basketball: Bearcats are the other Final Four threat in the AAC" - FanSided

by Tristan Freeman
              Posted: 01/17/18, 1:00pm cst

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/01/...at-in-the-aac/

"Wichita State gets a lot of the hype in the AAC this season, but Cincinnati basketball has big aspirations too. The Bearcats have Final Four potential. For those who love entertaining basketball, my apologies to those who watched Cincinnati take on Central Florida. The Golden Knights are a team looking to finish in the top-tier of the American Athletic Conference and posses one of the best defenses in college basketball. But the Bearcats are better, recently overtaking Texas Tech as the best in terms of defensive rating.

It was an ugly game, with UCF leading at halftime, 19-15. But led by junior Gary Clark, 17 points and 15 rebounds (which was about 80% of the total production in the game), Cincinnati scored 34 points in the final 20 minutes while keeping UCF to 19 again in the 49-38 defensive struggle.

That makes it nine straight wins for Mick Cronin’s team, who is 16-2 (5-0) on the season. And don’t think this team can’t put points on the board, as the Bearcats have scored at least 75 points in six of the last nine games.

The team is tied at the top of the AAC standings with Wichita State and is ranked No. 12 in the country. Yet for some reason, the Shockers have received twice the amount of attention. There was a point in early December where the Bearcats lost two in a row to ranked teams and have flown under the radar ever since.

Another reason is that while this team has potential All-AAC players, none average more than 14 ppg or receive much national attention. And let’s face it, the AAC doesn’t have many storylines, other than the top two teams (and Uconn struggling). We have to wait until mid-February before Wichita and Cincy face off, with a bunch of meaningless games and potential bad losses coming in between.

This is a legitimately good team that could surprise people who aren’t paying attention to them. Now it’s just about keeping up with the Shockers for the next month until they get their chance to prove that they’re just as good, if not better."

Comment

"SMU forward Jarrey Foster to miss rest of season with knee injury" - ESPN

Jeff Borzello, ESPN Staff Writer
                Posted: 01/23/18, 6:28 PM CT

"SMU forward Jarrey Foster will miss the rest of the season with a partially torn ACL, sources confirmed to ESPN.

Foster played only five minutes against Wichita State before suffering the left knee injury on a drive to the basket, and missed the Mustangs' game against Tulane on Saturday. SMU coach Tim Jankovich called it a knee sprain prior to Saturday's game, but Foster underwent an MRI on Monday.

Foster, a 6-foot-6 junior, was SMU's second-leading scorer and leading rebounder, averaging 13.2 points and 5.9 rebounds.

Junior guard Jahmal McMurray saw an uptick in minutes the past two games without Foster, averaging 14.5 points.

SMU (14-6, 4-3 AAC) plays at Connecticut on Thursday.

The news was first reported by 247Sports' SMU affiliate."

Comment

Really sad. What is it with teams beating us and then losing players for the season? I’m not superstitious, but I’m a little bit stitious :)
                  -Dave stalwart
                  -Michael Scott

Comment

Thing was he only played 5 minutes when SMU beat us. They did all the rest of the damage with him in the locker room. I do hate it for the kid though. Tough for any competitor to sit.
                    Go Shocks!

Comment

"Shake Milton doubtful against Houston" - FanRag Sports

by Jon Rothstein
                      Posted on Feb 5, 2018

"SMU Mustangs junior guard Shake Milton is doubtful for his team’s upcoming matchup against the Houston Cougars on Thursday due to a hand injury, head coach Tim Jankovich has informed FanRag Sports. Milton was previously sidelined during the Mustangs’ loss to Tulsa last Thursday as a result of the same issue.

The Owasso, Oklahoma native has started all 22 games in which he has appeared this season and is the team’s leading scorer, averaging 18 points, 4.7 rebounds, 4.4 assists and 1.4 steals over 36.4 minutes per game. He is also shooting 44.9 percent from the floor, 43.4 percent from three-point range and 84.7 percent from the free-throw line. Milton notably scored a season-high 33 points during SMU’s win over Wichita State back on January 17...."

Comment

"UConn AD says Ollie will be evaluated after the season" - ESPN

Associated Press
                        Posted: 02/06/18, 4:50 PM CT

UConn athletic director David Benedict said the school will fight to protect its men's basketball program, which is the subject of an NCAA investigation and that he will evaluate the future of coach Kevin Ollie after the season.

"STORRS, Conn. -- UConn athletic director David Benedict said Tuesday that the school will fight to protect its men's basketball program, which is the subject of an NCAA investigation and that he will evaluate the future of head coach Kevin Ollie after the season.

Benedict, who met with reporters Tuesday afternoon for the first time since the school confirmed the program is under investigation last month, declined to say what the NCAA is investigating or whether any potential violations might be major or minor in nature...."

Comment

Been hearing that this Shake Milton injury could be season ending. Fans on the SMU forum seem to think he's done. Very, very sad. Wish the young man good graces and a speedy recovery.

Comment

Feb. 7, 2018 STORRS, Conn. - Due to the inclement weather, all remaining tickets for tonight's UConn men's basketball game vs. USF will be FREE and distributed on

I certainly understand that the harsh weather can keep people away, but does anyone think that free tickets would be offered if UConn was a Top 25 team?
                            Due to the inclement weather, all remaining tickets for tonight's UConn men's basketball game vs. USF will be FREE and distributed on a first come, first serve basis while supplies last to ALL FANS.
                            78-65

Comment

Working...
                            X