Madness at Shocker Madness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madness at Shocker Madness?

Many of us have made statements about Shocker Madness. This is just about the Production aspect.
    Top Notch
    0%
    Above Average
    6.67%
    OK
    20.00%
    Not Impressive to fans or recruits
    44.44%
    Love the Event, Hated the Production
    28.89%

I'm bumping this because I'd like something to pass along to Sully and see if he can get any positive feedback on possible changes in the future. This is especially important when you have a least one recruit visiting at the time along with other potential recruits (Sunrise) in the stands as well. Another concern is that unless they publically address fixes to Shocker Madness, the larger than normal crowd this year, won't show up next year.

If you're going to do Shocker Madness, doing it poorly can hurt the program. Not doing Shocker Madness will hurt the program as well, just not as much.

Comment

Once again just run two real scrimmages. Let it be a test run for the real thing and it automatically improves. Such a simple solution.

Comment

Originally posted by proshox View Post
        Once again just run two real scrimmages. Let it be a test run for the real thing and it automatically improves. Such a simple solution.
        Easy to say, pro, and I have some sympathy for the idea -- but keep in mind that the men, at least, were practicing not long before Madness. So considering how seriously Marshall takes practices, that's probably asking a bit much for one day. Now if it could be done on a day when the teams don't practice, you might have something -- but how many such opportunities are there?

Comment

I would think there is value in a live scrimmage on the big stage that would be similar to a practice

Comment

Hasn't Marshall gone on record stating his indifference to Shocker Madness? Face it, if Gregg believes Shocker Madness increases his ability to attract the athletes he's targeting, Shocker Madness would rival anything in the country. While some student athletes might be swayed by such an event, I believe the talent 3G covets have much simpler expectations such as team, personal growth and family.

Comment

i think that Sully is right, no matter what they do with Shocker Madness there will always be a group of people that will not be satisfied and will complain. You can see that here on SN, some want just a no frills intra-squad scrimmage, some want an extravaganza with all the bells and whistles, and others want something between those two extremes.

Personally I commend the athletic department for the steps they have taken to improve the event. Yes, there are flaws and refinements that are needed. Compared to what it was just two or three years ago, it appears to me that more planning and effort is being put into Shocker Madness than in the past. There are some issues with execution. However, I see overall progress in the direction it is going.

Yes, there were awkward pauses and delays. I feel sorry for the parents that brought young children on a school night because it went way too late. I think the suggestions that have been made to shorten the time for the 3-point and dunk contests are good.

For those that compare it to the event to the northeast, just remember that they are spending a significant amount of money to put on that event. I guess the old adage is true, you get what you pay for it. If you want a better production, give a significant 5-figure donation to the university earmarked for "Shocker Madness production." My guess is that you will see significant improvement.
              ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                Hasn't Marshall gone on record stating his indifference to Shocker Madness? Face it, if Gregg believes Shocker Madness increases his ability to attract the athletes he's targeting, Shocker Madness would rival anything in the country. While some student athletes might be swayed by such an event, I believe the talent 3G covets have much simpler expectations such as team, personal growth and family.
                If you are having a recruit come in during Shocker Madness, it will make some sort of impression as this is why they come....to get an impression of the school and the basketball program. Marshall can be as indifferent to Shocker Madness as he wants. I'm just surprised that he's good with a recruit sitting through it. Your right. I don't want a recruit swayed by the event itself. I do want to show him how well WSU, the athletic department, and the basketball program runs something. How it's teamwork, that family feeling, and personal effort by all to have a well run event.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                  i think that Sully is right, no matter what they do with Shocker Madness there will always be a group of people that will not be satisfied and will complain. You can see that here on SN, some want just a no frills intra-squad scrimmage, some want an extravaganza with all the bells and whistles, and others want something between those two extremes.

Personally I commend the athletic department for the steps they have taken to improve the event. Yes, there are flaws and refinements that are needed. Compared to what it was just two or three years ago, it appears to me that more planning and effort is being put into Shocker Madness than in the past. There are some issues with execution. However, I see overall progress in the direction it is going.

Yes, there were awkward pauses and delays. I feel sorry for the parents that brought young children on a school night because it went way too late. I think the suggestions that have been made to shorten the time for the 3-point and dunk contests are good.

For those that compare it to the event to the northeast, just remember that they are spending a significant amount of money to put on that event. I guess the old adage is true, you get what you pay for it. If you want a better production, give a significant 5-figure donation to the university earmarked for "Shocker Madness production." My guess is that you will see significant improvement.
                  Believe me. I'm not for throwing more money into Shocker Madness. For me, it is the execution/production aspect. Obviously, there are 3 of the 40 votes that thought this was an above average production. However, there are over 75% that thought it was poorly ran. I'll tend to go with that kind of number as a barometer.

Improving the event? One should learn to crawl before walking. Don't go adding more things if you cannot reasonably run fewer. They opened the doors at 5:30, the event got off to a slow start after 7, and didn't end until well after 9:00. By the time the men started their scrimmage, people were already going out the doors or already gone. I'm sure that impresses a recruit.

Again, this poll, and I believe most complaints, is not about content, but execution. I don't remember past Madness events going this slowly. Outside of having new lighting, bigger cheer squads, and a bigger and better Dance team, I'm just not sure what the athletic department really did. They would have had all 3 of those things regardless. What they can do is run it well.

Comment

Great turnout tonight in Koch Arena for Shocker Madness. They’re expecting big things around here!

-- Seth Davis

Comment

Recruits are probably hanging out with the men’s team during the event. I doubt they are sitting in the stands from 5:30 to 9:00,so from their perspective, it’s not the same boring event.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        Recruits are probably hanging out with the men’s team during the event. I doubt they are sitting in the stands from 5:30 to 9:00,so from their perspective, it’s not the same boring event.
                        Maybe so, but I'll start off here quoting our resident Recruiting Guru, shocks02: "I'm sure Chance is still considering, but I'm not sure we helped our chances with Shocker Madness. Kid looked bored out of his mind by the end of the night, and I don't blame him."

I know where Chandler and two equally sized Sunrise teammates were sitting and it wasn't close to the team and saw the 3 leave together after the event in the concourse area. Also, may there have been potential recruits visiting unofficially?

I'm pretty sure Chance was not sitting in the stands at 5:30 or hope he wasn't. That time frame dealt with fans and their families. Also, the scrimmage didn't end until after 9:00, but thanks for agreeing that it was a boring event.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
                          You are absolutely right. I imagine if Marshall felt there was more value in it, we would put more into it. He believes it takes time away from practice and working with players.

But I think fans also fail to realize how good the turnout and production is compared to 95% of other schools in Division 1. KU's production and turnout is the exception, not the rule, even among major programs. If I were Shocker Madness czar, that's the format I would prefer. But I trust Gregg when he shares his opinion on the event.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

I don't recall that SM is often the driver behind scheduling a recruiting visit. I think this year Chance Moore's visit just a happened to coincide with that. In fact, I think he initially was scheduled to visit the previous week. Maybe it was pushed back a week for SM but who knows. I doubt it. We might get few Sunrise players over to see what is going on.

Was it above average? Compared to what? I suppose the standard for the Shocks would be what you get at other AAC schools. I have no idea what that benchmark is.

Was it a less than impressive effort? Yes it was.

However, to fix it should be mostly a matter of desire and will.

Personally, I think moving it to a Saturday (or even a Sunday) would make it better. Heck even consider doing it in the morning. Get Dunkin' Donuts or Krispie Kreme to sponsor and have a Dunkin' With the Shocks event or Let Dunkin' Donuts sell Coffee, Milk and Donuts at cost as part of their sponsorship prior to the event.

Eliminate the Championship Ring ceremony. Boring and it isn't really even about this year's team. Instead of Dunk Contest between 3 guys incorporate that into the scrimmage warmups. Have the team members put on a dunk show during their traditional layup line and then have the fans vote for the best dunk using their cell phones. You could still have the 3-point contest but just have 2 men and 2 women preselected by the Coaches or a vote of the fans. Definitely work in a dance team routine and maybe even a cheer leader routine.

And move it along with some reasonable pace. Let Dandy Don or Ted Woodward handle PA duties and eliminate the DJ trying to MC the event. Make a concerted effort to keep thinks moving and to have it done in 90 minutes.

Comment

• Kung Wu
                              Kung Wu commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Not sure why this was marked as spam, but I will dive into it.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            I don't recall that SM is often the driver behind scheduling a recruiting visit. I think this year Chance Moore's visit just a happened to coincide with that. In fact, I think he initially was scheduled to visit the previous week. Maybe it was pushed back a week for SM but who knows. I doubt it. We might get few Sunrise players over to see what is going on.

Was it above average? Compared to what? I suppose the standard for the Shocks would be what you get at other AAC schools. I have no idea what that benchmark is.

Was it a less than impressive effort? Yes it was.

However, to fix it should be mostly a matter of desire and will.

Personally, I think moving it to a Saturday (or even a Sunday) would make it better. Heck even consider doing it in the morning. Get Dunkin' Donuts or Krispie Kreme to sponsor and have a Dunkin' With the Shocks event or Let Dunkin' Donuts sell Coffee, Milk and Donuts at cost as part of their sponsorship prior to the event.

Eliminate the Championship Ring ceremony. Boring and it isn't really even about this year's team. Instead of Dunk Contest between 3 guys incorporate that into the scrimmage warmups. Have the team members put on a dunk show during their traditional layup line and then have the fans vote for the best dunk using their cell phones. You could still have the 3-point contest but just have 2 men and 2 women preselected by the Coaches or a vote of the fans. Definitely work in a dance team routine and maybe even a cheer leader routine.

And move it along with some reasonable pace. Let Dandy Don or Ted Woodward handle PA duties and eliminate the DJ trying to MC the event. Make a concerted effort to keep thinks moving and to have it done in 90 minutes.
                            Good reply 1972.

I do want to make sure that posters understand I have NO problems with content or that "big and better" things need to be done or added. No. Run it bare bones if wished is fine. Just run it well.

Big donors on down are all paying more to support WSU. The least the athletic department can do is make sure this "fan appreciation" event is run well. Something that reflects as a positive on all concerned. This isn't rocket science and people are already in place that can/should handle it.

Comment

Working...
                            X