No announcement yet.

Gregg Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't want to start a new thread, but pay attention to the Athletic web site in the near future. Another great article will be coming.

If you know me, PM me if you want some details.

You can thank Veritas for having to do that. Sorry to be an ass.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Didn't want to start a new thread, but pay attention to the Athletic web site in the near future. Another great article will be coming.

Don’t ever apologize for being an ass. It’s one of the few things you do well. Embrace it.

Comment

• Not sure even ShockerFever ever had his nutz coattailed this bad.

To win big you have to do what? Lose big! What are you doing? Losing big.

What do I look like..the Saraha? Do I look Italian? (Bonus PM GM story if you can identify these quotes).

Comment

• I really wish I could figure out what the good DrWu is saying, alas it has been an exhausting day. Luckily there's fellow Shockernetters a heckuva lot smarter than me.

Comment

• The 16 big college basketball programs currently coached by the greatest coach in their school's history - CBS Sports

by Matt Norlander
            05/22/20, 11:30 am cst

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...hools-history/

Every team has a greatest coach in its history.

But how many college basketball teams are currently coached by their greatest coach ever?

As quarantine life has trawled along, the question caught my mind recently. I got to thinking about how good the fans of schools like Duke, Gonzaga and Villanova -- among others -- have it these days and have had it for a long time. A significant reason why those schools continue to pepper the top 10 in the polls and compete for Final Four appearances annually is because the people in charge of those programs are extremely good at their jobs.

But I'm not out here trying to scan back through the archives for 353 schools and make a master reference list. Instead, I narrowed my search to what I often refer to as the 10 multi-bid leagues: AAC, ACC, A-10, Big East, Big 12, Big Ten, Mountain West, Pac-12, SEC and the WCC. Those 10 conferences are host to a total of 122 schools. How many are employing their greatest men's coach right now?

The results are below. Of the 10 biggest conferences, two of them have no schools that qualify.

AAC
            WICHITA STATE: Gregg Marshall

The Shockers have a proud program history, with 25 coaches dating back to 1905. The school's produced 18 NBA players as well. Wichita State has 1,503 wins in its history to go along with 15 NCAA Tournament appearances, including Final Four trips in 1965 under Gary Thompson and 2013 under Marshall. The only coach in the convo with Marshall is the late Ralph Miller, who went 220-133 in 12 seasons, but had only one NCAA Tournament appearance -- an Elite Eight showing his final season before leaving for Iowa. Marshall is 337-119 (.739) at Wichita State, with seven NCAA Tournament trips to his name, including the 2013-14 season that was witness to history: Wichita State was a No. 1 seed thanks to an undefeated regular season. That season of course came on the heels of Wichita State's run to the Final Four as a No. 9 seed. Marshall, 57, has passed on bigger opportunities to build a top-50 program in college basketball. The biggest compliment to be paid to Marshall: he was so successful for Wichita State, the school (somewhat controversially) severed its deep ties with the Missouri Valley to join the American Athletic Conference. ..."

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
              The 16 big college basketball programs currently coached by the greatest coach in their school's history - CBS Sports

by Matt Norlander

But how many college basketball teams are currently coached by their greatest coach ever?

As quarantine life has trawled along, the question caught my mind recently. I got to thinking about how good the fans of schools like Duke, Gonzaga and Villanova -- among others -- have it these days and have had it for a long time. A significant reason why those schools continue to pepper the top 10 in the polls and compete for Final Four appearances annually is because the people in charge of those programs are extremely good at their jobs.

But I'm not out here trying to scan back through the archives for 353 schools and make a master reference list. Instead, I narrowed my search to what I often refer to as the 10 multi-bid leagues: AAC, ACC, A-10, Big East, Big 12, Big Ten, Mountain West, Pac-12, SEC and the WCC. Those 10 conferences are host to a total of 122 schools. How many are employing their greatest men's coach right now?

The results are below. Of the 10 biggest conferences, two of them have no schools that qualify.

AAC

The Shockers have a proud program history, with 25 coaches dating back to 1905. The school's produced 18 NBA players as well. Wichita State has 1,503 wins in its history to go along with 15 NCAA Tournament appearances, including Final Four trips in 1965 under Gary Thompson and 2013 under Marshall. The only coach in the convo with Marshall is the late Ralph Miller, who went 220-133 in 12 seasons, but had only one NCAA Tournament appearance -- an Elite Eight showing his final season before leaving for Iowa. Marshall is 337-119 (.739) at Wichita State, with seven NCAA Tournament trips to his name, including the 2013-14 season that was witness to history: Wichita State was a No. 1 seed thanks to an undefeated regular season. That season of course came on the heels of Wichita State's run to the Final Four as a No. 9 seed. Marshall, 57, has passed on bigger opportunities to build a top-50 program in college basketball. The biggest compliment to be paid to Marshall: he was so successful for Wichita State, the school (somewhat controversially) severed its deep ties with the Missouri Valley to join the American Athletic Conference. ..."
              Thank you Reaper for this and all you do.

Comment

The 16 big college basketball programs currently coached by the greatest coach in their school's history - CBS Sports

by Matt Norlander

AAC

"somewhat controversially"?
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Didn't want to start a new thread, but pay attention to the Athletic web site in the near future. Another great article will be coming.

i DO know you and DO want details!:)

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

"somewhat controversially"?
                    Ya, I didn't get that part. Otherwise, great article!

Comment

by Matt Norlander

AAC

Well it was somewhat controversial!.. It was hard to decide on how to scrape the MVC off of the court floor without damaging it.
                      Last edited by kcshocker11; May 22, 2020, 07:43 PM.
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

by Matt Norlander

AAC

The Shockers have a proud program history, with 25 coaches dating back to 1905.
                        This hoops scribe knows of what he reports.

It couldn't of been expressed any more simply than that. Who would disagree, other than a Chicken fan who believes WSU should be thankful for nit's?
                        Last edited by ShockingButTrue; May 23, 2020, 06:15 PM.

Comment

by Matt Norlander

AAC

Can someone tell Matt Norlander that he needs to be fired?

Signed,
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Like this?

78-65

Comment

• A message from Coach.Letterkenny Official Store | http://shop.letterkenny.tvFacebook | https://www.facebook.com/letterkennyproblemsofficialTwitter | https://...

Can't believe I never posted this. Coaching motivation from the best. Can only hope Marshall reads this. There's the: Alarm Clock, Tornado, or Boomerang.

Comment

• I received a robocall yesterday from HCGM. I generally hate those things, and hang up quickly. I stayed on the line for the whole thing this time, though. Thanks for calling, Coach!

Comment

Working...
                                X