Shockers vs Cougars at MSG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shockers vs Cougars at MSG

Here we go again as the Shocks will get to face off against another outstanding scoring guard in the Cougar's Klay Thompson.

Thompson, a Junior, is averaging 22.0 points per game and at 6'6" is the tallest of the All-American type guards we have seen this year. I doubt he will put on the crazy 3-point show that Andrew Goudelock treated us to, but it looks like he gets to the line a lot more than Goudelock does and he is a very good 83.4% free throw shooter. Thompson also averages 3.8 assists per game so he is not just a selfish gunner. He will get his teammates the ball in scoring position. He also is second on the team with 5.3 rebounds per game, leads the team in steals and has 32 blocks on the season. So he appears to be a very good all-around player. My guess is Toure will have primary responsibility, with DK and Graham taking turns also. Not sure if Aaron could stay with this guy or not. Maybe a little too quick for Aaron..

Marcus Capers is a 6'4", 185 lb Junior guard who has started all 34 games for the Cougars. He averages 5.9 PPG and looks to be a very good rebounder at 4.4 RPG.

The Cougars second leading scorer is a 6'4" Junior guard, Faisal Aden who is averaging 12.9 PPG. Faisal looks like he primarily does his damage off the bench as a 6th man ala Ben Smith for the Shocks.

Looks like 6'1" Soph Reggie Moore probably gets most of the minutes at the point. He averages 9.1 PPG and 3.4 APG. He and Joe may be pretty much mirror images and should be a good matchup there.

They have a big, strong presence in the paint in 6'8", 255 lb Junior DeAngelo Casto. He averages 12.1 PPG and 6.8 RPG. JT and Garrett need to be ready to bang and battle to keep this guy off the boards.

Looks like Abe Lodwick, a 6'7", 208 lb RS Junior can be expected to start at the 4 and will most likely be matched up agains Gabe Blair and Aaron Ellis. Lodwick averages 3.6 PPG and 4.1 RPG.

Brock Motum is a 6'10", 230 lb. Soph forward out of Brisbane, Australia. He plays about 19 minutes a game. He will occassionally step out and shoot the three. He averages 7.7 PPG which is not bad offensive efficiency.

Patrick Simon, a 6'8", 214 lb Freshman forward plays about 9.6 MPG. I'm guesing he is most likely used as just a spot player here and there as needed to give the other guys a little rest or to fill in case of foul trouble.

Here are the Cougar stats:

WSU wins (LOOK HOW CLEVER I AM BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE HAS MADE THAT JOKE!)

Comment

They're big and athletic. Sorry to say, I predict the run ends here. Two reasons, Thompson is going to get his points, plus drive the ball and get us in foul trouble. Second, is it possible for the Shox to shoot well, keep turnovers to a minimum and stay out of foul trouble for a 4th consecutive game? That's a lot to ask for this team who has been Mr. Inconsistency all year.

I am saying Wazzu beats Wu 79 to 68. But hey, it's been a nice run and I'm glad the seniors got to experience NY and the underclassman get valuable post season experience. I'm also happy the Shox shut the hell up all the experts about VT. I don't think I heard one more thing about VT after we beat them.

Comment

This was posted on the Cougar's message board:

Wichita State is favored by 1 1/2.
        I don't know what the source for that was.

Actually KC I feel good that you think the Shocks will lose by 11. That indicates things are properly aligned in the cosmos.

Myself, I really have no idea. If we continue playing as well as we have to this point in the NIT no reason to believe we can't win this game.

I am a litle concerned that just getting to New York was a goal achieved and that the guys might just settle for that. I hope that is not the case.

:goshocks:

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
          WSU wins (LOOK HOW CLEVER I AM BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE HAS MADE THAT JOKE!)
          Least not in this thread! :D :posterwsu: 8)
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Washington State is to UW as KSU is to KU, but worse. Imagine if Wichita State was a perrenial tourney invitee and played on TV alot. That would be Gonzaga with Spokane playing Wichita to KU's KC Metro. WaSt supporters are the remaining farmers, ranchers and central and SE Washington folks. Good people. Good wine. Not too many of them.

What this has to do with the outcome of the game? Zero. Just commenting that it is a tough gig to be third fiddle during basketball season in your home state.
            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Blair and Ellis team up to provide a defense that Thompson hasn't seen all year. He may get his points, but it will be in line with the Nicholls State guy that cleaned up in the end with the game out of reach.

Shox move on to Championship in convincing fashion:

Shockers -- 80
              Cougars -- 66

Comment

My main concern at this point is TM and just how sick is he? Shades of Vegas 5 years ago with PJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21
                  My main concern at this point is TM and just how sick is he? Shades of Vegas 5 years ago with PJ.
                  Say what?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                    Say what?
                    My thoughts exactly, elaborate please.
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1
                      Originally posted by ABC
                      Say what?
                      My thoughts exactly, elaborate please.
                      Answer: NO Frickin' buffet dinner the night before a game! Young men don't know when to push away from the table.....

Comment

Good read.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1
                          http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/2011/03/28/crazy-talk-in-nyc-nit-vs-ncaa/

Good read.
                          That's not puffery, as Suellentrop said. The NIT final four is usually full of NCAA tourney quality teams. He's just now seeing this?

Comment

ESPN New York lists us as the longshot.

While the college basketball world is buzzing about next weekend’s NCAA tournament Final Four in Houston, we've got a Final Four of our own right here in our backyard, competing for the National Invitation Tournament championship.
                            Egotism is the anesthetic of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                              Say what?

Toure's got a cough due to the cold. However, it appears he felt good enough to check out Central Park.

Comment

Working...
                              X