Overrated? pups?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overrated? pups?

So the saluki puppy dogs. Have been less than expected in my book.
    and im starting to realize that, they just dont have the guards they used to and that really, their defense is still good and strong. (and of course it is they are a valley school) however the scoring has changed nearly dramatically.

SO is it appropriate to say they are overrated at this point?

opinions?
    "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
    CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

As soon as the Shockers go to thier place and win a game i will then agree with you.

Comment

No. it is not appropriate.. The level of competition they have played and lost to (USC and Indiana) is high...

However weak they look right now, will translate into toughness later on.

Look at the Shox, looked pathetic against Baylor and Monmouth looking much better now, but we haven't played USC or Indiana, or anyone else for that matter right now.

Let's worry about our own team first. And I agree with the previous post. When we beat them in Carbondale AND Wichita in the same year, then we can start to speculate on where the Salukis are...
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Re: Overrated? pups?

Originally posted by RipEmUpShox

opinions?
        SIU will be fine by the time they get to conference play and they have some non-conference games that will let them get some momentum back.

The biggest issue I see is SIU just pissed away national pre-season respect the conference and fans have been clamoring for. It has now become a lost "opportunity".

Comment

What do you mean, exactly, by overrated?

If you're talking about them being an favorite to win the league, then no, it is not appropriate.

If you're talking about their early season ranking (#18 before the losses) then yes, they WERE overrated.

Comment

I like our chances a lot more now that we have a coach who is not too prideful to throw out a zone against a team who continually struggles to hit the outside shot.

Comment

Until someone takes the championship away from SIU they will not be overrated. Until someone wins a big noncon game, we all will be overrated (we being the entire Valley). We knew coming into this season it would be a rough year for the Valley. That gives us a chance down the road to sneak in and take it over.

Comment

I would not be throwing dirt on the Doggies, just yet.

Besides, the taking of our own inventory should preclude the taking of SIU's inventory. We have our own problems.

I believe the Doggies will continue to be very tough at home. Also, I believe the Doggies will be upset by some of the lesser lights on the road.

This season, the champion may have 5 losses.

Comment

im not gonna say they are overrated, but i am gonna say that they will not win the valley this year
                  Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
                    I like our chances a lot more now that we have a coach who is not too prideful to throw out a zone against a team who continually struggles to hit the outside shot.
                    Yes, yes.

I loved watching him work last night. He was working hard all night long "coaching" and "strategizing".

If Turgeon would have still been here, Gal would have been on the bench most of the game. GM was kept him out there and was constantly challenging him to step up because I think he understands the upside that Gal can bring offensively. GM is one of those guys who is able to motivated and wring out every bit of talent from his players.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
                      Originally posted by BostonWu
                      Yes, yes.

I loved watching him work last night. He was working hard all night long "coaching" and "strategizing".

If Turgeon would have still been here, Gal would have been on the bench most of the game. GM was kept him out there and was constantly challenging him to step up because I think he understands the upside that Gal can bring offensively. GM is one of those guys who is able to motivated and wring out every bit of talent from his players.

Great post you hit the nail on the head. GM knows that Gal can help the team. I heard GM on the radio the other night talking about Gal carrying the ball. GM had talked to Gal about it and Gal's response was that it was a habit. GM's response was "then it's a habit you have to break". The OOC schedule is the time for Gal to work on breaking it.

Comment

In regards to Gals play last night and how Marshall handled it

Marshall likes to run guys for mistakes like he had last night

everyone knows gal can go forever and has been said to be by far the best conditioned guy on the team

that said i doubt making gal run is much punishment for him

what is punishment and will get to him more is and i think thats why coach left him out there while we had the lead. Let him look bad in front of fans is a motivation that he cant accomplish in practice or in drills. I think it was a good idea although scary at times last night especially as they crawled back into the game slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by hamshock
                          Until someone takes the championship away from SIU they will not be overrated. Until someone wins a big noncon game, we all will be overrated (we being the entire Valley). We knew coming into this season it would be a rough year for the Valley. That gives us a chance down the road to sneak in and take it over.
                          And yet, this conference is still ranked in the top 7, depending upon which ratings you look at (rpi or sagarin).

I keep hearing that the Valley is down, and while we may not have a top 8 team (like the shocks achieved early last season) it is, of course, all about how you finish.

The top 8 in our league all have rpi's below 100, meaning that we may not have 1 big dog (Saluki), but there is most assuredly some quality basketball being played.

Comment

Rip Karma can have very bad juju...
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                              What do you mean, exactly, by overrated?

If you're talking about them being an favorite to win the league, then no, it is not appropriate.

If you're talking about their early season ranking (#18 before the losses) then yes, they WERE overrated.
                              I mean 18.... and to be honest. we def got a shot. at winning it reg season.

Illinois State sure has been an upset.
                              "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                              CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

Working...
                              X