Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Bubble columns

Katz telling it like it is... :(

Editor’s note: This is one of five posts in a series tackling the seemingly eternal debate in college basketball involving at-large bids: mid-major vs.

O'neil....telling it like it is.

Editor’s note: This is one of five posts in a series tackling the seemingly eternal debate in college basketball involving at-large bids: mid-major vs.

Comment

Give WSU 15 chances at top 100 teams and I bet they win half of them. Doesn't Katz/JH4P understand that the numbers are skewed?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Its been proven over and over again that the 2nd place teams in the smaller conferences are better than the 7th, 8th, & 9th place teams in the power conferences. The 7's thru 9's need to stop getting freebies into the tournament by riding on the coat tails of their conference. There is talk this year about 10 teams from the Big East, how stupid is that.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
          Give WSU 15 chances at top 100 teams and I bet they win half of them. Doesn't Katz/JH4P understand that the numbers are skewed?
          But 'what-ifs' are not and should not be considered as a factor when selecting at-large teams. WSU had its chances this year. Although limited, they still had opportunities to make them look more appealing. Losing at home to UNI and MSU killed them.

You give WSU 8 chances to play Top 50 teams and I bet they win a quarter of them. You give WSU 8 chances to play 51 through 99 and I bet they win half.

Comment

But 'what-ifs' are not and should not be considered as a factor when selecting at-large teams. WSU had its chances this year. Although limited, they still had opportunities to make them look more appealing. Losing at home to UNI and MSU killed them.

You give WSU 8 chances to play Top 50 teams and I bet they win a quarter of them. You give WSU 8 chances to play 51 through 99 and I bet they win half.
            I don't agree at all. The system sucks, any way you try to sugarcoat it...

Comment

Re: ESPN Bubble columns

Originally posted by Anthroshock
              This strikes me as a sad, sad, lazy argument. And this is from someone who has not paid that much attention to the global NCAA basketball situation this year. Way to phone it in Katz. Kudos for meeting your deadline.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggie
                This strikes me as a sad, sad, lazy argument. And this is from someone who has not paid that much attention to the global NCAA basketball situation this year. Way to phone it in Katz. Kudos for meeting your deadline.
                Actually, Katz is one of the very few College Basketball guys anywhere that pays attention to the "global NCAA Basketball situation". If there's anyone who gets it right a majority of the time, it's Katz. He's written many glowing articles about the Valley and Wichita State this year and in previous years.

For example, he wrote this before Maui:

Wichita State is the Missouri Valley favorite and a top-30 team.

Comment

You really should get off of JH4P's back. He's not arguing the system is right. He's arguing for teams based on the system as it is. That's what "bracketologists" do.

However, I agree with you on Katz. He appears to be defending the system.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox

I agree with you about the MSU and UNU flops. That's what they are.... Flops. So far, we half-erased the UNI game with a win at their place. Our other opportunities have been away from home against two Top 10 teams. That's hard to get a win if you're KU or Duke, much less Wichita State.

You should be graded on your percentage of wins against top 50 or 100 competition, not quantitative. That's where the skewing occurs. And yes WSU still has problems in that area.
                    Deuces Valley.
                    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                      You really should get off of JH4P's back. He's not arguing the system is right. He's arguing for teams based on the system as it is. That's what "bracketologists" do.

However, I agree with you on Katz. He appears to be defending the system.
                      If that's the case, then I apologize for my ongoing statements. However I don't recall him saying where he stood with his stuff. If it's like you said, then I apologize for directing my anger to the wrong direction.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh
                        Actually, Katz is one of the very few College Basketball guys anywhere that pays attention to the "global NCAA Basketball situation". If there's anyone who gets it right a majority of the time, it's Katz. He's written many glowing articles about the Valley and Wichita State this year and in previous years.

Ummm…..where to begin….the linked article is the issue; not what platitudes Katz may have seen fit to shower upon WSU, or any other so-called mid-major, in the past – especially at the beginning of the season where it could do him no “professional” harm.

The article is what I read. Now it is certainly possible (although not likely) I read it too quickly; but I found it be largely the nonsense I would hear from any BCS sycophant. It could be the quality of Katz’s writing and analysis is, generally speaking, far superior to what I am giving him credit for based on one article – but keep in mind I merely wrote he phoned it in – which he, in fact, did. I could have written that article, as could have virtually anyone on this forum, in ten minutes.

Comment

I could have written that article, as could have virtually anyone on this forum, in ten minutes.
                          Go ahead and write one. I'd love to read it. Your clock starts now.

Comment

I could have written that article, as could have virtually anyone on this forum, in ten minutes.
                            Allow me:

By all means we should let in "big conference" teams that are mediocre at best. After all, they play lots of sub-50 RPI teams over the course of the year. Sure, those games are compelled by forces greater than the teams themselves, and they managed to lose about half of them, and they provide a disincentive to scheduling top-50 teams outside the realm of that compulsion, but they're top 50 games for crying out loud! You have to reward that by letting them into the tournament, thereby perpetuating the system that makes it impossible for "mid-majors" to schedule top-50 games at all. Who could see a flaw in that logic?

Comment

I am on your clock now, am I? Wow. My goodness, the pressure is too much to handle.

Why should I write when you are too anxious to do so? Why should I write what I don’t believe?

The article is trash; recycled and regurgitated. Why would I want to duplicate that – when you can go most anywhere and get your fill?

Besides, that is ten minutes of my life, I will never recover. Never.

Comment

Working...
                              X