No announcement yet.

Coaches on the road

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't add much else other than to say he was well liked on campus & the lack of success is boggling. It was a painful time for Shocker basketball, one could make it to a game a couple of minutes late and sit on the fifth row in student seating. The problem of seat selection (too many options)started with Cohen. I remember leaving the KU game down by 40 and heading to the Flicker to drown my frustrations, it didn't work...

We got by dreaming of better days and drinking a lot.

Better days!

Go Shocks!!!!
    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

I was in high school during the Thompson era and my memories are skewed based on my age at the time and the fact that my Dad and I didn't get along at all when I was 15 or so. None-the-less, we got great seats to 10 or so home games a year and enjoyed the Shockers suckatude together. Those are some of my fondest memories of my youth!

I remember some good players that didn't quite pan out ala John Smith. I think there was an outflux of talented guys at that time. Guys that coulda been had they stuck around. Also, if I recall, Wichita had a preceived gang problem at the time and WSU campus was not viewed as "safe." At least I remember my Dad encouraging my older sister NOT to go to his beloved alma mater as he was worried about her safety. I believe those notions have now changed.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Re: Coaches on the road

Originally posted by Dan
        Originally posted by Rosewood
        So my question to you old timers out there, as I was still in grade school for the Scott Thompson era, how did you manage to survive that?
        That's easy, alcohol. And lots of it.

Yes, mass quantities were consumed daily.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Comment

For those of us who were students in the successful Smithson and Fogler years, the tragedy of Cohen (fortunately I was away at law school for most of that) and Thompson were probably harder to take. To have loved and lost...

I've told this story before but it probably bears repeating here. I had the opportunity as a young alum to serve on some community boards with Scott. Great guy. I remember after one meeting asking him about a local, small school player, then a junior, maybe a senior, who I had seen play and thought was fantastic. He explained our lack of interest with "Boy, you just never know how these small town players will play against good competition." Jacy Holloway, from Moundridge, started at point for Iowa State for four years, led the conference in assists a couple of times, and I think is still one of ISU's all time assist leaders.
            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Working...
            X