Channel S*rfing (CS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Channel S*rfing (CS)

I have no idea, if this subject matter has been banned or not.

The U.S. government seized the site of CS today.

There have been some recent developments along with released background information about CS, which I found interesting.

It has a new url: http://www.channelsurf.eu/

For some background information on CS, go here: http://torrentfreak.com/us-resume-fi...izures-110201/

Based upon the background information, the site has passed certain legal tests. I am sure the lawyers on this fine forum, will sift through the information for us and render an opinion.
    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Re: Channel S*rfing (CS)

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio
    I have no idea, if this subject matter has been banned or not.

The U.S. government seized the site of CS today.

There have been some recent developments along with released background information about CS, which I found interesting.

It has a new url: http://www.channelsurf.eu/

For some background information on CS, go here: http://torrentfreak.com/us-resume-fi...izures-110201/

Based upon the background information, the site has passed certain legal tests. I am sure the lawyers on this fine forum, will sift through the information for us and render an opinion.
    A sad day for American freedom.

Comment

I've followed some of the recent history of domain seizures by the feds on TechDirt.com. ICE is being highly indiscriminate about their seizures effectively ignoring due process. They are seizing international domains that have passed legal muster in their own countries and must be stopped. It gives us all a good idea on how the feds view the Constitution and rule of law. In short, they don't give a damn.

Comment

Interesting....for sure. I dont think discussing it unless it turns into posting links, discussing, exposing your love of such sites and their many benfits...and by doing so promoting the use of what is copywrited material without permission. That is and has been the problem with posting such links on this site and other forums. Exposing yourself to legal limbo and/or gray areas of the law.
        A discussion on the legality of such a site I think is certainly an intersting topic especially with the recent events you brought up.
        1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
          I've followed some of the recent history of domain seizures by the feds on TechDirt.com. ICE is being highly indiscriminate about their seizures effectively ignoring due process. They are seizing international domains that have passed legal muster in their own countries and must be stopped. It gives us all a good idea on how the feds view the Constitution and rule of law. In short, they don't give a damn.
          Not taking a side here Royal but dont you think streaming a pay per view event and hiding under the skirt persay of a foriegn country could be extremely damaging to a company like the UFC, Showtime Boxing ect.... I mean this is copywrited material and they thumb their noses at it.
          1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

Used it a few times, usually useless. There is another place, wonder if they got nailed?

Comment

I'm not arguing the moral or ethical defense of channelsurfing or any other site that aggregates what others are broadcasting. I'm talking about the rule of law (domestic and international) and the cavalier attitude an agency of the federal government has toward it.

Comment

I've been reading about Interactive Marketing lately and this type of problem is just crying out for a consumer based solution.

If the networks would only see that getting their product on more devices to more people is something to be leveraged and profited from. Instead they act in ways that show fear and not creativity.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

I'm not arguing the moral or ethical defense of channelsurfing or any other site that aggregates what others are broadcasting. I'm talking about the rule of law (domestic and international) and the cavalier attitude an agency of the federal government has toward it.
                  Oh I agree 100%. There is a right way and a wrong way and again they choose to throw peoples rights out the window for what they deem to be Justice.

Comment

God bless our Euro-cousins,,,,
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

atdhe.net has also been seized by ICE as well as many other sites I frequent.

Article by the Huffington Post

This article is not biased, straight facts. For those of you who might not read it because of it being the Huff post.
                      The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1
                        atdhe.net has also been seized by ICE as well as many other sites I frequent.

Article by the Huffington Post

This article is not biased, straight facts. For those of you who might not read it because of it being the Huff post.
                        Comments pretty much sums it up. Why is homeland security working on copyright infringement! 8)
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

A law is passed and a department or agency are given broad powers. Then the bureaucrat just create powers, which were never intended by the legislature. The EPA is one of the worst offenders.

I am sure glad Homeland Security is on the ball and wiped out a television threat.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Just so everyone is clear, I have to take the stand of not blatantly allowing direct links as a precautionary CYA, since I am the one legally on the hook for Shockernet. Specifically with Shockervision being put up on channelsurfing, that is an even dicier issue because it is a paid subscription service and not something freely available over the air. To be honest, I think WSU should pump Shockervision out for free as a marketing tool.

All that said, I do agree that how we legally view copyright and redistribution of copyrighted works does need to evolve with the dramatic changes in how things are shared electronically these days.
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio
                              A law is passed and a department or agency are given broad powers. Then the bureaucrat just create powers, which were never intended by the legislature. The EPA is one of the worst offenders.

I am sure glad Homeland Security is on the ball and wiped out a television threat.
                              This is spot on. In almost every case when Congress passes a new law the legislation doesn’t contain specific language addressing a particular problem. The language is often merely open-ended broad platitudes intended to sound grand and important – hiding the fact that Congress instead relies on unelected government bureaucrats to do the heavy lifting. In this very narrow sense, I don’t blame Congressmen and Senators for not reading the legislation – as it is virtually meaningless – the “meat” will be put on the bones later. Pelosi infamous statement about the health care law (“we have to pass it, to find out what is in it”) – is actually fairly accurate.

All this, to me anyway, is a disturbing dereliction of duty.

Comment

Working...
                              X