No announcement yet.

The mighty "big boys"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baseball America is also a joke...LOL...I know.

Have to hand it to Coastal Carolina...in little Conway SC.

Enrollment...3342

Good job this year!

Comment

About the best thing about this season was watching Florida State choke another CWS away.

Good job this year!
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by billybud
        Baseball America is also a joke...LOL...I know.

Have to hand it to Coastal Carolina...in little Conway SC.

Enrollment...3342

Good job this year!

No BillyBud you just don't get it. I think most people consider Baseball America a credible poll.

Why don't you go post it on your favorite Coastal Carolina board?

Comment

Oh I got it...my sarcasm, you didn't get, I don't think.

The OP was discussing the smaller schools...And Coastal Carolina did a good job this year. Better than most of the big boys...I give them a lot of credit, especially considering their resources.

Shockfever....hey mon, they did get out of a regional and super which was more than most expected....it's been a while for you guys, huh? What? A couple of decades? 17-18 years?

I understand that my posting reminds you of FSU, which in turn reminds you that your team is through in early June, which in turn, makes you foam at the mouth at my every post.

Cie la vie....

Comment

14 years, DA.

And our short but stellar history in Omaha is better than what any Seminull fan can ever hope for.

Your school's trophy case still lays empty without the big lumber. Stroll on over to lil ol' Wichita State University and there it is. Something Seminull Nation does not have. Admire it in all of its beauty. Perhaps that is why you're still on a Wichita State Shocker board in the middle of July. I think it has become pretty clear whose mouth is foaming.

But I did see my chokejob reference got a nice lil rise out of ya. The truth does indeed sting.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

LOL...who is trying to rationalize a decade and a half without going to the CWS?

The problem may be that the baseball world has passed WSU by. Getting out of regionals and supers is tough.

Like an aging spinster fingering the faded corsage pressed in an ancient album and remembering when thing were good, you just go on to hanging on to those ever receding memories.

But fear not...you are in the comapny of greats....like Grantland Rice..

"I remember the stand at Thermopylae

the Greek Guard made one day;

I remember the legions that Caesar used

To shatter the Gallic sway;

And I remember across those years

Two banners that crowned the crest,

When Yale was king of the conquered East,

And Michigan ruled the West.

At night in my humble den I dream

Of the glories that used to be-

Of Hannibal taking the Alpine Trail,

Of Drake on the open sea;

And then I wander the ancient ways

To a dream I love the best,

When Yale was king of the conquered East,

And Michigan ruled the West."

Comment

A Seminull fan on a Wichita State message board in the middle of July.

We're more relevant in your eyes than the other way around.

And you prove it with each post you continue to make. So please, by all means, keep on showing your insecurity. It's really fun to watch.

It must sting to think that little ol WSU beat ya to the punch with a National Championship.. and we did it with about 15 less attempts in doing so.. OUCH.

Florida State University.. The Chokers of Rosenblatt.. LOL!
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I actually like most posters on this board...this a good baseball board with coherent discussions of RPI, pitching, and the trials of competing from a non BCS platform.

But you, Shockfever, bring me back by making me laugh and laughing is so good for you. And, incidentally as a project, I hope to raise your smack talk to a higher level by offering inspiration and example.

I'm sure we will exchange Christmas cards in a few months....

Comment

I've read most of billybud's posts over the last couple of years and don't really see a problem with his posts...nothing like the KU & KSU fans who show up on a regular basis to the baseball and basketball forums.

Comment

True to a point Mr. FSU Guy. The days of WSU dominating the region and making the post season (SR and CWS) on a regular basis like we did in the 80's to mid 90's are over. College Baseball has grown too much for smaller programs like us to keep up.

Sure, there will be isolated years where WSU pops back up on the radar for serious discussion of SR and CWS potential, but pretty much from here on out (and thanks in part to our crap conference) we will be no more than a regular NCAA Tourney team.

The facts are we just can't keep up with the Jones'. BCS programs are shelling more dollars into their baseball programs and we will continue to lose recruits who take recruiting visits at football games surrounded by pretty girls and awesome tailgating, who want to play in a BCS conference and perceive give them the best chance of making the CWS and MLB.

With that said, we have a pretty good program given our resources and size of university. Fever tells the truth, we have scoreboard over you - IN BASEBALL but we would love to have everything else you have. Well, except for basketball perhaps and numerous legal issues that have to be dealt with too. :D

Comment

I don't post very often anymore and am in no frame of mind to get in argument with some of our own right now, but a lot of the above is just factually wrong re: budgets, etc. We dedicate a dollar amount to baseball that would be the envy of many BCS programs. Also, the 'pretty girls' thing is a misplaced criticism because at WSU baseball players don't have a star quarterback, say, grabbing headlines (and chicks) away from them. Speaking from real conversations with others I can tell you these players are known in this community at a level that truly astounds outsiders. Baseball is the focus of the budget and perks at an unusually high level for ANY conference..

On many BCS campuses college baseball is about 5th or 6th in the pecking order of popular sports. Unfortunately for all of us (BCS and non BCS) thanks to the draft I think that might be dropping even more, ( that is if Big 12 crowds outside of Austin and a couple others are any indication). At WSU baseball is a clear # 2 and to some of our fans a clear # 1. Many of the big money people in this town give to this program at a level that most BCS would love to emulate.

Good lord man, we were a game away from Omaha TWICE in the last four years and in regionals for 27 or whatever of the last 30 years. Why should I have to point that out to our own ? ( Philosophical aside and meander: Has the internet robbed our minds of ANY freaking sense of perspective longer than 15 minutes ?? it must have when facts from 2 years ago don't register anymore). This really should not need to be brought up to to our own so often but I guess it does. Also, a 'crap' conference allows us to dominate it. Most years we are at-large material even in said conference.

Our facilities, attendance, community presence, and tradition truly puts us in the 'Big Boy' conversation in college baseball - again I respectfully submit big picture and some sense of 30 years, not two, perspective here. Wallow all you want, but you don't speak for me or a lot of others. I apologize to freaking no one about our proud baseball program.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
                          I've read most of billybud's posts over the last couple of years and don't really see a problem with his posts...nothing like the KU & KSU fans who show up on a regular basis to the baseball and basketball forums.
                          This is true. billyboy has a quiet arrogance that surrounds him when he occasionally drops by and adds in his two cents.

And of course I understand he has a warped view on things being a fan of a BCS team. The problem I have is he needs to realize where he is posting. Having discussions about things is fine. At times though, he needs to know his boundaries and when he has warmed out his welcome.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ICT Ragman
                            Philosophical aside and meander: Has the internet robbed our minds of ANY freaking sense of perspective longer than 15 minutes ?? it must have when facts from 2 years ago don't register anymore)
                            Pretty much. America is dying a agonizing death. The pure stupidity anymore is just astounding.

Comment

WSU has been "close"...in some cases, very close.

The problem has been "closing"...no pun intended. Pitching has been some to blame.

2010...loses MVC championship game 17-8..no regional

2009...two and out at regional (one run games)...very close

2008...1-2 at super regionals (lost to FSU 14-4 and 11-4 )

2007...two and out at super regional (both one run games)... close again

2006...two losses to Oklahoma in regional...beat TCU

2005...Tennessee knocks WSU out of regional

2004...two losses to Arkansas in regional

2003...two losses to Rice in regional

2002...Oral Roberts wins two and put WSU out of regional

2001...no post season play

2000...losses to Minnesota and Nebraska put WSU out of regional

Comment

The reason that I brought up the Chanticleers (Coatal Carolina) in a previous post, is that they have been fighting from a similar (although lesser) platform as the Shockers.

The Chanticleers have been ranked in four of the last eight years and have hosted two regionals in that time.

They win some at regionals but couldn't get over the hump until this year.... they get to a super and lose two to South Carolina (tough draw). Both were one run games.

Comment

Working...
                                X