Around the Diamond in 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Around the Diamond in 2011

Sullentrop has a good writeup on 2011, actually gives me some hope if WSU is not decimated in the draft and some younger players emerge and some players play to their potential (i.e. Hall, Grimes).

C - O'Brien
    1B - Springer
    2B - Davidson or Coughenour or Halbert or Parker or Harbutz
    3B - Goro/Harbutz
    SS - Grimes
    OF - Coy
    OF - Hall
    OF - Green/Bayliff
    DH - Schebler

SP-Cooper
    SP - Kelley
    SP - Lowell
    SP-Flynn
    SP/RP-McGreevy
    SP/RP-Mateychick
    SP/RP - Minnis

RP-Muncrief
    RP-Sossamon
    RP-Labrie
    RP - Kemp

That lineup is a bit of a dream but if hitting on all cylinders could win 50 and go deep.

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse
      That lineup is a bit of a dream but if hitting on all cylinders could win 50 and go deep.
      Nothing wrong with looking at a best-case scenario.

8)

Comment

I am a little surprised he lists Springer at 1B...if so why the heck didn't he play there this year and have COy DH? Schelbler must have some big defensive deficiences to have him at DH and Coy in the OF.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22
          I am a little surprised he lists Springer at 1B...if so why the heck didn't he play there this year and have COy DH? Schelbler must have some big defensive deficiences to have him at DH and Coy in the OF.
          I took a little liberty with his projections (read his blog to see his discussion). If you do read his blog you will see that he listed Coy there at 1b, but he talked about it would be best if Coy could play OF, Springer move to 1b (e.g. use summer ball to become proficient) and have the DH open to other players.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
            I took a little liberty with his projections (read his blog to see his discussion). If you do read his blog you will see that he listed Coy there at 1b, but he talked about it would be best if Coy could play OF, Springer move to 1b (e.g. use summer ball to become proficient) and have the DH open to other players.
            There were a number of times this year I was screaming for Springer to play 1st and Coy to DH. I just didn't think it was the right time for Coy to learn the position and felt it was a huge coaching error that might have cost us a game or two. Does anyone have any insight on why Springer didn't play first?

Comment

There were a number of times this year I was screaming for Springer to play 1st and Coy to DH. I just didn't think it was the right time for Coy to learn the position and felt it was a huge coaching error that might have cost us a game or two. Does anyone have any insight on why Springer didn't play first?
              I think it obvious, he was even more of a defensive liability than Coy.

Comment

I don't see how...Springer played 1b in JUCO and in highschool. He has alot more time over there to know when to cover the base instead going for the ball and had to be more proficient at digging. I would have liked to have the opportunity to compare.

Comment

Not obvious to me at all... Springer had an .978 fielding average with 2 errors and was capable of digging out some of the throws from 3B (oftentimes the 3B is charged with a throwing error instead of the 1B for not digging it out). Coy had a .975 fielding average with 6 errors and dug out very few. You gotta keep Coy in the lineup... LF or DH seemed more logical to me.

I honestly think the reason why Springer was pulled from 1B is because the coaches decided that he hit better when he was DHing than when he was playing in the field... I didn't see it, but I think that must've been the logic.

I also see great potential in Harbutz. He's a switch hitter with a lot of athletic upside... not sure where he will end up, however. Found it interesting that he and Goro ended up on the same summer ball team.
                  ** aka Sunshine **

Comment

Originally posted by WSU_Mom
                    Not obvious to me at all... Springer had an .978 fielding average with 2 errors and was capable of digging out some of the throws from 3B. Coy had a .975 fielding average with 6 errors and dug out very few. You gotta keep Coy in the lineup... LF or DH seemed more logical to me.

I honestly think the reason why Springer was pulled from 1B is because the coaches decided that he hit better when he was DHing than when he was playing in the field... I didn't see it, but I think that must've been the logic.
                    Okay, I admit I could be wrong. I am making the assumption that coaching staff is making logical decisions based on information that as generals fan are not privy to.

When I look at how long it took for them to get Coy in the lineup it points to that the coaching staff is incompetent. I put it at about 50/50.

Comment

Working...
                    X