K-State holds #1 starter out of Gm 1, loses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-State holds #1 starter out of Gm 1, loses

Baylor scored 8 runs in the first three innings of their 1st round Big 12 Tourney game against K-State and went on to win the game, sending the Wildcats to the losers bracket with a depleted pitching staff.

Here's the line for their "starter", you might recognize his name:

K-State pitching: Bahramzadeh 1 1/3 IP-5 ER

In a related story, Texas did the same thing and lost to Missouri.

Difference is, Texas has the depth to recover from it. K-State tried to rescue themselves by using several of their better pitchers but still lost. Even with this being their best team in school history, they are in b-i-g trouble.

Did the Big 12 stop using the round-robin format?

Comment

Still round robin with the pool winners meeting in the championship.
      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Good call, I should have said they put themselves in the handicapped pool.

Comment

If it had been a double elimination format, both teams probably would have started their #1 guy. In a round robin format, everyone can save their best guy for the toughest game.

Comment

Apparently, Baylor didn't buy into the belief that they were a weak opponent. Wouldn't that strategy also kill your option of throwing your ace twice like we are seeing in the MVC Tourney?

Comment

Actually I think that the round robin format penalizes the best teams.

Everybody is going to save their ace for the top team. That means the #1 team (in one bracket) and the #2 team (in the other bracket) have to face everybody's ace.

It is really a set-up that encourages an upset tourney winner.

I think it makes the regular season worthless.

Comment

The round robin format is just plain stupid.

The big 12 championship game is already set with Baylor facing Texas A&M on Sunday (4 seed vs. 6 seed).

In the mean time the Big 12 will play 4 totally meaningless, worthless games on Saturday.

They ought to just cancel all 4 games tomorrow and let everyone go home early.

Comment

I totally agree that the round robin stinks for postseason. It works for early season tournaments, where you want a guaranteed number of games, but that's about it.
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                  X