MVC 2011 Tourny - CU buys the right to Play at Night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC 2011 Tourny - CU buys the right to Play at Night

CU was given the 2011 MVC tourny. That will probably be a pretty expensive proposition for Creighton so they can play 1 game at night.

At the new park?

Comment

At the new park?
      It sure will not be at the Creighton Sports Complex.

It will be interesting to see how Omaha supports this event.
      Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

That will be a rough check to write, especially after their paid basketball attendance drops by about 5,000 heads per game over the next two years.

My guess is that they will not submit another serious bid for many years.

Comment

LOL!!!

See Springfield, MO. See Evansville, IN.

Indeed, this will be a one-hit wonder.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
            LOL!!!

See Springfield, MO. See Evansville, IN.

Indeed, this will be a one-hit wonder.
            Everyone outside of Wichita is a one hit wonder in this area....I seriously can't believe schools are actually bidding on this....I guess they are praying Shocker fans make the trip? I guess I need to have my wife start making a list of things she needs me to do around the house that week.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
              At the new park?
              It sure will not be at the Creighton Sports Complex.

It will be interesting to see how Omaha supports this event.

I attended the last Valley baseball tournament that they held in Omaha. It was in 1978 and the attendance was HORRIBLE!

I don't think they had more than 100 people at any game. They played some of the games at Rosenblatt, some at Booth field (CU's old home field before the beautiful CU sports complex was built- it was even worse than the CU sports complex), and some other field near westgate or UNO.

It rained a lot and they had to keep postponing and moving the games.

Even though we were the new kids on the block, the Shox played and barely lost to SIU in the championship game (if I remember right).

Hopefully Creighton has gained a few more baseball fans since 1978. :wsu_posters:

Comment

Someone needs to inform CU that everyone makes the MVC Tourney now. I know MSU was trying to host the tourney back when everyone didn't get in...however the host school always gets in. Didn't MSU bump UE because of that rule a few years back?

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose
                  Someone needs to inform CU that everyone makes the MVC Tourney now. I know MSU was trying to host the tourney back when everyone didn't get in...however the host school always gets in. Didn't MSU bump UE because of that rule a few years back?
                  Well, unless the "Flavor of the Month" format changes for next year. We're about to start the 3rd different format in 3 seasons. BTW, I kind of like the 8-team split bracket, but I would tweak it some.

Compressing it into 5 days is tough. No margin for schedule problems (like rain), and it is too hard on pitching staffs that have not been taxed to this degree all season. Spreading it out one or two more days would be better. Also, a single championship game is a poor idea for a conference that doesn't get any at-large berths because the best team in the league could be eliminated in a 1 game championship round.

Anyway, MVC tournament games with 800 folks in the stands (and 1/2 WSU fans), won't pay the bills. It will be back in Wichita in 2012.

--'85.
                  Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

They're probably hoping to have some carryover from the CWS fans when they introduce the shiny new stadium Omaha built for the CWS.

CU got another place they get to rent from time to time. That didn't work out real well for MSU baseball. there's nothing like 200 fans in a stadium that seats 10,000. Gives it that really cozy feeling - for the crickets.
                    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                    X