MVC Tourney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVC Tourney

I have searched the Valley website but I cannot find the details.

If I understand correctly, we'll play a round robin 3 game set, 1 game against each of the opponents in our pod. The best record will advance to the championship game on Saturday.

Now, I have tickets for 2 games on Friday. Are those only for rainouts or am I missing something here?

Thanks

The third post has a link of the bracket.

Comment

Yep, as ShockTalk made reference to, thankfully no pod format this year. Just your traditional double-elimination two bracket format, just like the CWS, except it's a winner-take-all championship.

Barring a miracle, we'll be the No.2 seed and we'll play the 7th-seeded Braves in game 1.

I'm assuming they're gonna try to keep the Shocks at the 7:30pm timeslot as much as possible, assuming they keep winning..
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Making another assumption of getting to the finals (hopefully in 3), what do others here think of the possibility of Coop throwing in the Saturday final for 4-5 innings and Kelley going 1 or 2?

Comment

If you can't make it to all of the games, you can watch live online. All streams will be free.

2010 State Farm MVC Baseball Tournament

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk
            Making another assumption of getting to the finals (hopefully in 3), what do others here think of the possibility of Coop throwing in the Saturday final for 4-5 innings and Kelley going 1 or 2?
            My guess is that, assuming Coop and TK go their normal deep into their starts, you will not see them again in the Tournament.

Obviously we need Charlie to be sharp and for Josh to have one of his better outings.

Comment

I should have added one point. Unlike most years, winning this tournament is an all or nothing situation. You don't win, everybody heads to summer ball and many won't be back.

I think Charlie and Josh will both be on short ropes unless we have big leads. If we lose in the 3rd game, neither would probably be available for the final, should we get there. I think Coop could go 3-5 innings depending on pitch count and Kelley at least one.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                Originally posted by ShockTalk
                My guess is that, assuming Coop and TK go their normal deep into their starts, you will not see them again in the Tournament.

Obviously we need Charlie to be sharp and for Josh to have one of his better outings.
                No doubt about it. Coop and TK will be one-time go-to's in the tournament.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

If Coop is able to throw 90ish or less pitches Tuesday, I'll bet a large sum that we see him again Saturday. Need to build a big lead in Game 1 so that we can either (1) cut it short via run rule or (2) bring in some unattractive bullpen options after 7 innings. I have no desire to waste Hoch, Guy or McKeever in a contest where we have more than a five run lead. Let McGreevey, Kemp, Sossamon and friends handle those.

We have been much more prone to recycle our arms on short rest in recent years. Remember the 2007 regional? Banwart got shelled in the opener against New Orleans (I believe), threw something like 53 pitches, then came back a few days later to chuck about 115 pitches in the shutout against Arizona.

Comment

Originally posted by GoShockers89
                    If Coop is able to throw 90ish or less pitches Tuesday, I'll bet a large sum that we see him again Saturday. Need to build a big lead in Game 1 so that we can either (1) cut it short via run rule or (2) bring in some unattractive bullpen options after 7 innings. I have no desire to waste Hoch, Guy or McKeever in a contest where we have more than a five run lead. Let McGreevey, Kemp, Sossamon and friends handle those.

We have been much more prone to recycle our arms on short rest in recent years. Remember the 2007 regional? Banwart got shelled in the opener against New Orleans (I believe), threw something like 53 pitches, then came back a few days later to chuck about 115 pitches in the shutout against Arizona.
                    I'm with you. I think all options are on the table depending much on how the first two games go.

We don't have an at-large birth in our back pocket.

Comment

I think BK and GS will break the mold this year and Cooper WILL be available to start the championship game. His pitch count will be limited to 80-90, just like Thursday vs. DBU. Under normal circumstances, he would not come out of that game, but BK is looking ahead to the tournament.

You can bet your last dollar that every other team will make their game 1 starter available for the championship game, and in the win and move on vs. lose or go home situation facing the MVC this season, why hold back? 80-90 pitches followed by 3 days rest is not pitcher abuse.

Honestly, Cooper just looks so comfortable out there it makes you think he could go forever.

--'85.
                      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Coop named PITCHER OF THE YEAR, PRESTO- NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR

WICHITA, Kan. ? Eight Wichita State baseball student-athletes have been named to the 2010 All-Missouri Valley Conference Baseball Team, as voted on by the league coaches. Two Shockers also earned specialty awards.

Coop named PITCHER OF THE YEAR
                        Preston named NEW COMER OF THE YEAR

CODY LASSLEY, BRET BASCUE, JORDAN COOPER, TIM KELLEY and PRESTON SPRINGER make ALL VALLEY FIRST TEAM

TRAVIS BENNETT makes the second team

JOHNNY COY and LOGAN HOCH make HONORABLE MENTION

Comment

Hopefully, the weather doesn't mess up today's schedule too much. NWS is predicating a 70% chance of rain. The Weather Channel is predicating a 80% chance of rain. Both have rain chances diminishing later in the evening (~10pm).

Currently there's a line or rain to the west of Wichita. Good news is the widespread activity is expected to dissipate by mid-morning.

Comment

Working...
                          X