No announcement yet.

Shox vs. Sycs Game 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The term "sunshine pumpers" has become very trite. The team is playing horrible "as a team." Many of us just feel no need to keep posting:

This team sucks
    This team sucks
    This team sucks
    oh, BTW, did I say this team sucks?

Try discussing some strategy/lineup changes and such...

"This team sucks" doesn't leave much to discuss, and if that is all there is to post, why even bother?

Comment

You want some strategy and roster moves?

Ok.

Strategy:
      Play fundamental baseball.
      Teach basic hitting techniques.
      Establish a bullpen.

Roster moves:
      2/3 of the regular starters could eat some pine. Bring in more youngins. Let's see how they perform over a long stint. Sure, wouldn't hurt. The worst they could do is perform like the upperclassmen starters are performing now.

Coach(es).

What do you think of the team thus far, vancedave? What's the point of being a fan if we only discuss the positives of a team, when the negatives outweigh the positives? Isn't there a moral obligation as a fan to try and stop the bleeding, instead of just pretending like something's not wrong and let the program bleed to death?

Still noticing a few more sunshine absentees.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Why do you always want to pick a fight?

Who said only discuss positives?

This team sucks. :(

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
          Originally posted by SB Shock
          Interesting to hear that Gene used the word "embarrassing" after the nebraska game.
          Tell that to the Sunshine Club.

Speaking of sunshine, where are all the sunshine pumpers at?

This team sucks. Period. 5 hits in 18 innings of baseball. Garbage baseball IQ. Great performance by Cooper wasted.

Oh where oh where are the sunshiners at? I wanna see them rationalize this sh*t. .............

Unlike any of you, I was actually at the game tonight watching and cheering for the Shockers.

This is the first chance I have had to read any of this (after driving 9 hours to get here and then grabbing something to eat after the game).

I will ask you the same question. Where are you and several of the other naysayers when the Shockers are winning and doing well? It seems these game threads are much longer when we lose then when we win.

While I think that constructive criticism is healthy and so is a good debate, just being negative all of the time and saying we suck all of the time doesn't help anyone. Especially not the team. As fans I think it should be our #1 priority to do everything we can to help the Shockers win.

I will start by saying that the game at UNL was a bad game. There really isn't anything good I can say about it. But it was one game in a long baseball season, after it is over you just have to move on (BTW- for what it is worth UNL beat Ku tonight).

Tonight's game was nothing like that one. Cooper pitched a great game tonight. He really only gave up one earned run (the other run scored on what I think should have been ruled an error, it was kind of a tough play but it should have been made).

The Shox also made some very good defensive plays. Two that come to mind, was a great throw by Ryan Jones to get an Indy St. player out at the plate in the bottom of the 8th and a tough spinning around move by Baez to get a Sycamore out at first early in the game.

While getting only 3 hits is never acceptable and there were too many strike outs, there were also several hard hit balls that Indy St players managed to get to. And Grimes hit a double off the wall that would have easily been a home run at home (this is a very large ballpark).

There were a couple of different times in the game that I felt like we were very close to breaking it open but the Indiana St. players managed to make the plays and get the outs. That's baseball it is a game of inches.

This was a hard fought baseball game that could have gone either way. It should in no way be compared to the game at UNL.

I also very much enjoyed watching the game , it is too bad we lost and it is too bad that not more Shocker fans could have been here to see it in person and to cheer on the Shockers.

Saturday is another day and hopefully will be a Shocker win. :goshocks:

Comment

You want some strategy and roster moves?

Ok.

Strategy:
            Play fundamental baseball.
            Teach basic hitting techniques.
            Establish a bullpen.

Roster moves:
            2/3 of the regular starters could eat some pine. Bring in more youngins. Let's see how they perform over a long stint. Sure, wouldn't hurt. The worst they could do is perform like the upperclassmen starters are performing now.

Coach(es).

What do you think of the team thus far, vancedave? What's the point of being a fan if we only discuss the positives of a team, when the negatives outweigh the positives? Isn't there a moral obligation as a fan to try and stop the bleeding, instead of just pretending like something's not wrong and let the program bleed to death?

Still noticing a few more sunshine absentees.
            By 2/3 of the starters, I assume you mean starting lineup as opposed to starting pitchers. It seems the starting pitching is the one constant we have.

Hitting, defense, and the bullpen have all been killers.

I agree it is way past time to sit quite a few guys and give some others a chance - what's the point in having competition for positions if their is no real actual threat of someone taking you position for not performing?

I like sunshine a lot more than the clouds - I get enjoyment out of well played team sports. If we suck, I don't keep repeating over and over - it's quite obvious something(s) need to change.

Comment

shocker3,

Let me be the first to thank you for driving the 9 hours to support the players. I'm sure it is much appreciated and because of you, Shocker fans are known as the best traveling fans, not only in the Valley, but in the nation.

The one thing I can't stand is someone saying that I'm not here during the winning. That is simply not true and it's kinda starting to irritate me. I personally don't get up for big NAIA games (where a few of our wins have come from lately) so you won't see too many long threads or posts from me there. Game threads tend to be longer when we lose because there is greater concern and care when we lose, unlike when we win as expected.

You simply can't make an excuse for the offense, which now has been shutdown for 20 some odd consecutive innings. That is pathetic. You can't spin that. While of course the game was more competitive than Nebraska, it was still a loss. A loss in which we muttered 3 hits, struck out 12 times, committed key errors, and wasted another outstanding performance by Cooper. That is suckatude. And this is what I'm talking about. You can't pretend like nothing's wrong and blindly support a situation that is getting worse by the minute. You're basically saying you don't care how low WSU baseball sinks. That's not a good attitude.

The only difference between this game and Nebraska as we actually had a weekend starter (our ace) to make the game appear more competitive. From an offensive and defensive standpoint, it was the same old, same old. Sorry.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by vancedave56
                I like sunshine a lot more than the clouds - I get enjoyment out of well played team sports. If we suck, I don't keep repeating over and over - it's quite obvious something(s) need to change.
                If we win, we'd be repeatedly bragging about how good we are. While we're struggling, you better expect people to talk. You have to take the good with the bad.

If we suck, it will be repeated over and over until something does change. What the hell else do you expect us to talk about? How the weather's doing during gametime?

I'm glad you are finally realizing something needs to change.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3
                  Originally posted by SB Shock
                  Interesting to hear that Gene used the word "embarrassing" after the nebraska game.
                  Tell that to the Sunshine Club.

Speaking of sunshine, where are all the sunshine pumpers at?

This team sucks. Period. 5 hits in 18 innings of baseball. Garbage baseball IQ. Great performance by Cooper wasted.

Oh where oh where are the sunshiners at? I wanna see them rationalize this sh*t. .............

Unlike any of you, I was actually at the game tonight watching and cheering for the Shockers.

This is the first chance I have had to read any of this (after driving 9 hours to get here and then grabbing something to eat after the game).

I will ask you the same question. Where are you and several of the other naysayers when the Shockers are winning and doing well? It seems these game threads are much longer when we lose then when we win.

While I think that constructive criticism is healthy and so is a good debate, just being negative all of the time and saying we suck all of the time doesn't help anyone. Especially not the team. As fans I think it should be our #1 priority to do everything we can to help the Shockers win.

I will start by saying that the game at UNL was a bad game. There really isn't anything good I can say about it. But it was one game in a long baseball season, after it is over you just have to move on (BTW- for what it is worth UNL beat Ku tonight).

Tonight's game was nothing like that one. Cooper pitched a great game tonight. He really only gave up one earned run (the other run scored on what I think should have been ruled an error, it was kind of a tough play but it should have been made).

While getting only 3 hits is never acceptable and there were too many strike outs, there were also several hard hit balls that Indy St players managed to get to. And Grimes hit a double off the wall that would have easily been a home run at home (this is a very large ballpark).

There were a couple of different times in the game that I felt like we were very close to breaking it open but the Indiana St. players managed to make the plays and get the outs. That's baseball it is a game of inches.

This was a hard fought baseball game that could have gone either way. It should in no way be compared to the game at UNL.

I also very much enjoyed watching the game , it is too bad we lost and it is too bad that not more Shocker fans could have been here to see it in person and to cheer on the Shockers.

Saturday is another day and hopefully will be a Shocker win. :goshocks:
                  Hmmm...a total of 5 hits and ZERO runs in the last two games. One against the Big 12 bottom dweller and the other against ISU Blue? Really? Did I mention a total of 5 hits and ZERO runs the past two games? For the Sunshine Pumpers I will say that I am estatic that we did not commit any errors tonight.

Comment

shocker3,

Let me be the first to thank you for driving the 9 hours to support the players. I'm sure it is much appreciated and because of you, Shocker fans are known as the best traveling fans, not only in the Valley, but in the nation.

You simply can't make an excuse for the offense, which now has been shutdown for 20 some odd consecutive innings. That is pathetic. You can't spin that. While of course the game was more competitive than Nebraska, it was still a loss. A loss in which we muttered 3 hits, struck out 12 times, committed key errors, and wasted another outstanding performance by Cooper. That is suckatude. And this is what I'm talking about. You can't pretend like nothing's wrong and blindly support a situation that is getting worse by the minute. You're basically saying you don't care how low WSU baseball sinks. That's not a good attitude.

The only difference between this game and Nebraska as we actually had a weekend starter (our ace) to make the game appear more competitive. From an offensive and defensive standpoint, it was the same old, same old. Sorry.

You did NOT see this game. You can not sit at a computer and honestly say that "from an offensive and defensive standpoint, it was the same old, same old.

There were some outstanding defensive plays made by he Shox tonight and there were two mis-steps, Kevin Hall slipping and therefore allowing an Indy St. runner to go third (the field was wet from it raining for 3 hours and stopping just before the game started) and the apparent error on the ball hit to third that allowed the first Indy St. run to score (I say apparent because they ruled it a hit and I think there should have been an error recorded on the play).

While the offense could have been better, I think they actually competed well at the plate. Their pitcher was throwing very hard and mixing it up very well, throwing 3 pitches for a stiike. In spite of how well he was throwing our hitters did manage to make contact and hit the ball very hard several times. Unfortunatley Indy st players were able to get to the balls and make the outs (expect for the double off the wall by Grimes in the deeplest part of the part that would have been a HR in most yards including the Eck).

I think we did compete much better then we did at UNL. And if you would have been here to see it for yourself, I think you might not be so quick to say we played so poorly.

Comment

shocker3,

...... I personally don't get up for big NAIA games (where a few of our wins have come from lately) ......old. Sorry.
                      Actually again just to make the record clear (because I was there and watched all of those games) we used to get a LOT of our wins over NAIA teams during the first 15 years or so after the Shocker baseball program was re-started from scratch in 1978 but in recent years we get very few of our wins against NAIA opponents.

In fact this year if I am remembering correctly at 2am after a long day, it is 2 wins so far from NAIA teams and both of them (and any future NAIA games) were not scheduled but are make up games for games against division 1 teams that were cancelled due to weather.

In the early years we would play as many as OVER 30 games a year against non-division 1 opponents.

Comment

Originally posted by vancedave56
                        If we win, we'd be repeatedly bragging about how good we are. While we're struggling, you better expect people to talk. You have to take the good with the bad.

If we suck, it will be repeated over and over until something does change. What the hell else do you expect us to talk about? How the weather's doing during gametime?

I'm glad you are finally realizing something needs to change.

SF, don't lump me in with everyone else, I do NOT brag about how good we are - I am an even keel type. I do not get too up with the up's nor to down with the down's.

I get irritated just as much with people thinking we will never lose another game when we are playing good, but also people thinking we will never win another game when playing bad.

I don't have a problem with discussing any of it - check my posts - I am not one of your "sunshine boys" nor am I a negative Nancy that considers themselves realists. Discussing issues is one thing, but saying:

We are great; we are great;
                        This team sucks; this team sucks.

Those are not discussions, and either one said over and over and over again doesn't give them any more creedence.

Comment

There is no sunshine with which to pump. Correct statement: 20 innings of no runs cannot be spun in any way. I don't know what to do but this goes way beyond slumping. Guys who purportedly have even some of the talent that we are supposed to have would have to try to hit this poorly. I think a high school team could have got more hits off these pitchers in the last two games. Maybe they should appoint some players off of the bench to coach the team for a few games to relate better to the players. I don't know but "HELP". Somehow we need to salvage this season.

Comment

Working...
                          X