switch hitting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• switch hitting

Isn't this something you want to start in summer play and not the college season? Do you really want 2 starters learning to hit from the other side of the plate during the same season? Is it really worth it?

It's something you want to start when you're 10, not when you're playing D-1 college baseball. Apparently, JT and both players feel they already are good enough switch hitters to use it in a game situation. However, if they start struggling they'll put an end to it quickly.

Comment

I thought Tyler Grimes has throw in the towel on the switch hitting? Is that not the case?

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
        I thought Tyler Grimes has throw in the towel on the switch hitting? Is that not the case?
        I'm not sure. I haven't been able to really follow the team for a week(ish) I was just going on what I heard earlier in the season.

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh
          I'm not sure. I haven't been able to really follow the team for a week(ish) I was just going on what I heard earlier in the season.
          I thought I heard Kennedy say he had given it up a couple of games ago.

I will say I agree with learning that trade in the off-season, although at some point you have to try it in game situations to see if you can really do it. In Tyler's case apparently he did not feel like he could be successful.

Comment

he may have........still the fact that they thought it was a good idea to start the season that way troubles me.

Comment

Originally posted by XManCometh
              I thought I heard Kennedy say he had given it up a couple of games ago.

I will say I agree with learning that trade in the off-season, although at some point you have to try it in game situations to see if you can really do it. In Tyler's case apparently he did not feel like he could be successful.
              I heard the same thing.

Comment

well im glad to hear it

Comment

Unfortunately, it hasn't helped much. Tyler is 1 for his last 13.

Comment

Switch

My recollection is that Grimes started working on switch hitting last fall and continued through winter workouts.

He's capable of slumping without trying to switch hit -- as most hitters are, by the way -- so try not to focus on irrelevancies. He and the coaches know far more about what makes sense on the diamond than do most of us combined.

Comment

Re: Switch

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
                      My recollection is that Grimes started working on switch hitting last fall and continued through winter workouts.

He's capable of slumping without trying to switch hit -- as most hitters are, by the way -- so try not to focus on irrelevancies. He and the coaches know far more about what makes sense on the diamond than do most of us combined.
                      I would agree, but 1-6 record and outscored 64 to 19 (9-3 average) over the last 7 games can make one wonder.

Comment

The team is not performing poorly because one or two players aren't hitting consistently.

Bad hitting up and down the lineup.
                        Poor pitching - no one seems to be immune - starters and relievers aren't getting crucial outs.
                        Bad defense.

Don't throw Tyler Grimes under the bus.

--'85.
                        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Re: Switch

Originally posted by ShockTalk
                          Originally posted by WSUwatcher

I would agree, but 1-6 record and outscored 64 to 19 (9-3 average) over the last 7 games can make one wonder.
                          Corrected. Not blaming Grimes. Just hoping the coaches WILL make sense out of whats been happening.

Comment

Re: switch hitting

Originally posted by Ta town
                            Isn't this something you want to start in summer play and not the college season? Do you really want 2 starters learning to hit from the other side of the plate during the same season? Is it really worth it?
                            starting it during the season is better since he has the hitting coach he has been working with right there to help him out if things dont go right. whereas with summer play he wouldnt have that. the summer coach would have to figure out both his swings, along with the rest of the team's, then figure out if something is wrong.

well in theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                              The team is not performing poorly because one or two players aren't hitting consistently.

Bad hitting up and down the lineup.
                              Poor pitching - no one seems to be immune - starters and relievers aren't getting crucial outs.
                              Bad defense.

Don't throw Tyler Grimes under the bus.

--'85.
                              didn't say this is what causes the whole team to suck. just seems odd to start it off in actual NCAA play rather than summer ball thats all I'm saying.

Comment

Working...
                              X