X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockerFever
    Originally posted by 1972Shocker
    I don't know about that 'Fever.

If we pick up some needed cushion on a 2-run jack from Down the Hall something worked.

:goshocks:
    I think you're right. For KC, it works that very inning. For Doc, it was delayed by an inning.

:good:
    I have been spoiled by the offense. I am refraining to get bent out of shape for only scoring 5 runs. I will say 5 runs are not going to be enough against the high MLB prospect for FGCU that comes in Friday however.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo
      Just got home from the park, got to go to a concert tonite. Very impressed with TM. The guy worked quickly and efficiently. Looked like he had been out there all his life. Today he looked like a seasoned vereran. I really lilke this team. Go Shox.
      Tell me what you think about the new field? Like/dislike, beautiful/ugly..

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox

If we pick up some needed cushion on a 2-run jack from Down the Hall something worked.

I think you're right. For KC, it works that very inning. For Doc, it was delayed by an inning.

I have been spoiled by the offense. I am refraining to get bent out of shape for only scoring 5 runs. I will say 5 runs are not going to be enough against the high MLB prospect for FGCU that comes in Friday however.
        So this means you think FGCU will score more than 5 runs against Kelley? I think 5 on Friday would be a great total considering who we're facing.

Comment

Originally posted by JaminShock
          ...And don't get me started on our bullpen...

;-)
          Prophylactic reverse-jinxing now in play.
          Looks like you're right. 5-1 now with runners on the corners for ND & no outs.

Pick off runner @ 1st & a strikeout so got 2 outs :clap:.

Comment

Nice play by McKeever to end it!
            ** aka Sunshine **

Comment

This doesn't make sense.......5 runs against a projected top 5 pick isn't good enough for you?

Comment

I kind of like a closer game going into the weekend series with FGCU.

Gives some leverage to Gene when he talks with his team about maintaining focus and intensity.

Still a win is a win and it was really a pretty clean effot by the Shocks until the 2 freshman throwing errors in the 9th.

Toby and TJ were terrific on the mound.

:good: :goshocks: :clap:

Comment

Originally posted by JaminShock

So this means you think FGCU will score more than 5 runs against Kelley? I think 5 on Friday would be a great total considering who we're facing.
                  Against Kelley? No. Since we are so early in the season, I do not see Gene running Kelley out there to pitch 8 or 9 innings. Of course, there are a number of variables that would allow him to do so, but I'm going to say 6 or 7 innings tops.

I think we are going to need 5 plus runs to beat FGCU on Friday because our relief is up-and-down right now. If TK gives up 2 to 3 and leaves, it is very conceivable that FGCU could or will score 2 to 3 more against our relief. Hence, my belief that 5 plus is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                    Not too surprising. Inferior opponent and a few guys who need to get in the field.

--'85.
                    I know it's really early but I think most on here would be surprised to learn North Dakota has a higher RPI than WSU right now according to WarrenNolan.com....

Comment

Originally posted by pogo
                      Just got home from the park, got to go to a concert tonite. Very impressed with TM. The guy worked quickly and efficiently. Looked like he had been out there all his life. Today he looked like a seasoned vereran. I really lilke this team. Go Shox.
                      Tell me what you think about the new field? Like/dislike, beautiful/ugly..
                      I think it looks great, and I bet it just feels awesome to play on. The players, especially infielders have got to be loving this.

Looking on, I was imagining what it looked like in years past with patches of brown spots in the outfield, and the old turf infield. It surely is a huge upgrade.

Props to the Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_
                        Not too surprising. Inferior opponent and a few guys who need to get in the field.

--'85.
                        I know it's really early but I think most on here would be surprised to learn North Dakota has a higher RPI than WSU right now according to WarrenNolan.com....
                        WSU 49 is better than ND 56

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock

--'85.
                          I think it changes really fast this early in the year. I just checked it again and it is WSU 52 and ND 57. When I posted this earlier WSU was 70 and ND was mid 60s... The point was there wasn't much difference in the 2 teams according to the early season RPI.

Comment

The NDU starter had pretty good stuff and really kept the Shox hitters off balance most of the time. He was able to work the plate and mixed in off-speed very well. More importantly, he only allowed 2 free passes and his defense played solidly, which kept the Shox in check. I thought he was on par (at least this outing) with an upper tier MVC pitcher.

The competition level changes dramatically on Friday. FGCU is a very solid program and Friday's starter Chris Sale is projected as a high draft. He's a big 6'6" lefty who will be a treat to watch battle with Kelley. The Shox and Charlie Lowell beat Sale 6-0 last season. He might be focused on revenge.

As to RPI, 100% of NDU's RPI is based upon games with Wichita Stata - sort of meaningless, don't you think? RPI will jump all over the map early with teams from the north going south to play with little or no outdoor practice time, plus little hot and cold streaks by teams will pull them around a lot. I never pay much attention to RPI in baseball - it just doesn't seem to have that much bering on who makes the field and who doesn't. The real key is to win games - a lot of games.

--'85.
                            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

I agree on RPI but I think the NCAA uses it heavily when selecting Regional hosts and Super Regional seeding. They reference RPI, SOS, record against top 50 and top 100, losses against 200+.

Totally agree it means even less this early, just thought it was interesting. Also interesting that FGCU has an RPI of 229 right now.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock

--'85.
                                I think it changes really fast this early in the year. I just checked it again and it is WSU 52 and ND 57. When I posted this earlier WSU was 70 and ND was mid 60s... The point was there wasn't much difference in the 2 teams according to the early season RPI.
                                But RPI is meaningless for ND with only 2 games and any comparison to other teams would be equally meaningless.

FDSU RPI being low is a reflection of their early season opponents cumalitve win pct being only 16%(7-37). This is 50% of the RPI. This is no reflection on how good of team they may or may not be (just that they are unproven).

If your really intersted in looking at rating that mean something statistically, then you need to look at Boyd's Worlds ISR. It actually has the ability to allow you to calculate probabilities for a team beating another team. It won't start coming out until March 8.

Comment

Working...
                                X