A guaranteed smile ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A guaranteed smile ...

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

FYI hold down ctrl and then mouse wheel up to make text readable on that smile enducing page.

Comment

:D .392 overall BA ain't bad at all!!!
      ** aka Sunshine **

Comment

One of the most smile-inducing stats from the weekend doesn't even appear on the stat sheet: the Shox did not go in order even once the entire weekend. 27 of 27 innings there was at least 1 Shox baserunner. That's amazing.

There are a few frowns on there, too.

Tyler Grimes had a rough weekend at the plate. Too bad he couldn't join in the fun.

On the pitching side:
        .305 Opp BA
        12 BB in 27 IP
        12 BB / 18 K
        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
          One of the most smile-inducing stats from the weekend doesn't even appear on the stat sheet: the Shox did not go in order even once the entire weekend. 27 of 27 innings there was at least 1 Shox baserunner. That's amazing.

There are a few frowns on there, too.

Tyler Grimes had a rough weekend at the plate. Too bad he couldn't join in the fun.

On the pitching side:
          .305 Opp BA
          12 BB in 27 IP
          12 BB / 18 K
          Good for Grimes that even though he wasn't getting hits, he still drew 2 walks and was hit by 2 pitches so he was still on base at a decent clip.

Comment

One of the truly bright signs to me is the 21 extra base hits in the three games. 12 doubles, 2 triples, and 7 homeruns. That is a great sign that this team has some pop and is driving the ball.
            THERE ARE FLOCKS OF BIRDS AND MANY A CAT ------ BUT ONLY ONE WUSHOCK!

Comment

Anyone know who is starting on Tuesday and wednesday?

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22
                Anyone know who is starting on Tuesday and wednesday?
                Josh Smith and TJ McGreevy

Comment

Originally posted by SekShocker
                  One of the truly bright signs to me is the 21 extra base hits in the three games. 12 doubles, 2 triples, and 7 homeruns. That is a great sign that this team has some pop and is driving the ball.
                  I'll take a team slugging percentage of .700 thank you very much! :good:
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

From todays' Eagle:

The Shockers are not only hitting the ball, they are getting the timely hit. With runners in scoring position and less than two outs, WSU batters have produced runs 17 out of 20 times.
                    That has been a real sore spot in recent year's, especially last year.

:D

I suspect Brent is only smiling out of one side of his face. Loves the run support. Hopes he doesn't have to be be totally dependent on it. I know a 4.67 team ERA is not satisfactory to Brent even if the Shocks are scoring 13 runs a game.

Kelly and Cooper were solid. Lowell was grinding. Good outing by TJ McGreevey in relief. The rest of the relief corp was so-so.

Looking forward to see how Josh Smith and TJ McGreevey fare in their respective starts against North Dakota this week. I assume a lot of guys will get an inning or two or work in these mid-week games.

Weather actually looks fairly decent for afternoon games through the weekend, although we may have to dodge a few raindrops during the weekend series.

Not sure we can be any better offensively, so I suppose the goal will be to maintain, get a lot of guys some good AB's and continue the run production at a good clip. With 5 games this week there will be plenty of opporutunity for the pitching staff to work out the kinks.

Here are some numbers we need to lower this week:

ERA: Team: 4.67 -- Starters: 3.58 -- Relievers: 6.17

WHIP: Team: 1.81 -- Starters: 1.57 -- Relievers: 2.14

Weekend starting rotation doesn't seem to be a worry. Depth and quality of the bullpen is a question mark. I expect to see these numbers start to work themselves lower beginning this week. Brent is probably enjoying the challenge.

Still have quite a few guys who have yet to see action on the mound:
                    Mitch Caster
                    Tyler Fleming (not sure what Tyler's recovery status is)
                    Remington Johnson
                    Aaron LaBrie (possible redshirt candidate)
                    Tobey Mateychick (possible redshirt candidate)
                    Josh Smith (right now the #4 starter)

Comment

Regarding possible redshirts for LaBrie and Mateychick, not sure how much sense it is to use a redshirt, especially if these kids are old enough to be draft eligible after their 3rd year in the program. Baseball's situatin makes those decisions much tougher.

Comment

WICHITA, Kan. ? Wichita State baseball student-athlete Preston Springer has been named the Missouri Valley Conference Player-of-the-Week for the week of Feb. 22-28.

Preston Springer named Valley Player of the Week.

Hopefully the first of many. Congrats Presto!
                        :posterwu:
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Congrats to Preston. Super impressive start to his Shocker career.

Cody, Clint and Travis weren't exactly chopped liver this weekend either.

Check out these stats:

Personally, I think Preston and Clint should have been named co-players of the week. Preston had one more hit and one more TB. Clint had two more Ribbies (I'm kind of partial to ribbies myself). I dont' see how you could pick between the two. Perhaps it came down to a coin toss.

:good:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                            Personally, I think Preston and Clint should have been named co-players of the week. Preston had one more hit and one more TB. Clint had two more Ribbies (I'm kind of partial to ribbies myself). I dont' see how you could pick between the two. Perhaps it came down to a coin toss.
                            I believe I heard at one point that each program nominates a player and pitcher of the week to the league office and the league picks the winner. If that is true then perhaps giving the new guy the feel good nod came from the coach(s).

'course, I could have dreamed the facts.

--'85
                            Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                              Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                              I believe I heard at one point that each program nominates a player and pitcher of the week to the league office and the league picks the winner. If that is true then perhaps giving the new guy the feel good nod came from the coach(s).

'course, I could have dreamed the facts.

--'85
                              Actually, that makes good sense. Still if I'm the Coach making those nominations I probably would have to rely on a coin toss to pick Preston over Clint (or vice versa).

If I'm not allowed to flip a coin the I might give House the edge because he also played all 3 games in the field at 1B while Preston DH'ed in all 3 games.

OTOH, the pressure on Preston being a newcomer to ther program trying to earn a place in the lineup makes his performance pretty impressive.

Glad it wasn't my call. In any case, I have a feeling this will not be the last such award for Preston or Clint this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X