NCAA Proposing possbile changes to RPI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Proposing possbile changes to RPI

Boyd Nation is reporting that he has been given copies of NCAA proposals that were presented at the ABCA meeting of proposals by NCAA baseball committee to change the RPI

-Replace 25-50-25 with 33-50-17.
    - Double the size of the bonuses and penalties.
    - Count home games as 0.8 games and road games as 1.2 games.
    - Count home games as 0.7 games and road games as 1.3 games.

Re: NCAA Proposing possbile changes to RPI

Originally posted by SB Shock
    Boyd Nation is reporting that he has been given copies of NCAA proposals that were presented at the ABCA meeting of proposals by NCAA baseball committee to change the RPI

-Replace 25-50-25 with 33-50-17.
    - Double the size of the bonuses and penalties.
    - Count home games as 0.8 games and road games as 1.2 games.
    - Count home games as 0.7 games and road games as 1.3 games.
    For those of us less knowledgable, could you please briefly explain. Thanks!

Comment

Presently the RPI is made calculated by the following formula

RPI = [25% * team winning pct]+ [50% * opponents winning pct] + [25%*opponents opponents winning pct]

NCAA is thinking about changing these weights from 25%/50%/25% to 33%/50%/17% (basically giving less weight to the opponents opponents winning pct).

winning pct are calculated by wins divided by total games. They are proposing to count wins at home as only 0.7 or 0.8 wins (instead of 1) and road wins are counted as either 1.2 or 1.3 wins.

Example:

Shockers are 4-1 at home = 4 *0.7 = 2.8 wins
      Shockers are 2-2 on the road = 2 * 1.3 = 2.6 wins

WSU winning pct (per RPI) is: 2.8+ 2.6 = 5.4/8 = 68%

Hope this helps.

Boyd analysis of these changes were they would be negligible. Probably wouldn't hurt WSU because they travel on the road.

Comment

winning pct are calculated by wins divided by total games. They are proposing to count wins at home as only 0.7 or 0.8 wins (instead of 1) and road wins are counted as either 1.2 or 1.3 wins.

Currently only neutral site games carry a weight of "1". Home wins and road losses count as 0.6 and road wins and home losses count as 1.4.

Changing this weight to either .7 or .8 would benefit teams that do not travel during the OOC period. Guess who those teams might be?

Comment

Hold on

Ray, the home-road adjustments you cite are the ones used in basketball, and they were calculated based on the proportion of games won by home teams.

I wasn't aware that there has been any RPI home-road adjustment in baseball, and even if there was, I'd be surprised if it was the same as in basketball. What gives you the impression there has been?

I know paranoia about the power conferences is a staple here on SN, but let's not assume the NCAA is jacking with the rules until we know that it's true. If there's currently no home-road adjustment in baseball, adding one would actually have the opposite effect of what you suggest, and would work to the advantage of teams who travel.

Comment

OOPS, I just noticed this is Baseball not Basketball RPI's.

I don't know if they weight Baseball wins and losses the same as in Basketball. If they do currently use a weight of 1.0 for all wins and losses, this would be a nice change for teams forced to travel during the OOC.

Edit: We were posting at the same time. You are correct of course, I thought I was in the Basketball forum when I was not, my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by rayc
              OOPS, I just noticed this is Baseball not Basketball RPI's.

I don't know if they weight Baseball wins and losses the same as in Basketball. If they do currently use a weight of 1.0 for all wins and losses, this would be a nice change for teams forced to travel during the OOC.

Edit: We were posting at the same time. You are correct of course, I thought I was in the Basketball forum when I was not, my mistake.
              No they haven't coordinated baseball RPI with basketball RPI. Not sure why? But that is the NCAA.

Comment

Working...
              X