2010 Outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 Outlook

Head coach Gene Stephenson will begin his 33rd season as a Shocker with seven returning starters and 19 returning lettermen from a team that went 30-27 in 2009 and advanced to its 27th NCAA Tournament after winning its 17th Valley Tournament title.

Excerpts below:

Pitching

The 2010 pitching staff returns 12 pitchers from the 2009 staff that posted a 4.26 ERA, which was 19th-best in the nation. WSU returns 90 percent of its wins from the 2009 pitching staff and 10 pitchers that earned a decision a year ago.
    No doubt the strength of the team for the 2010 campaign. The question that have to be answered is how much of contribution (and will it be effective) for those players returning from injury.

WSU needs a shut down closer

Catching
    The Shockers return two players with experience at the catcher position in senior Cody Lassley and sophomore Chris O’Brien. Lassley started 50 games at catcher a year ago and hit .270 with 16 doubles, four home runs, 25 RBI and nine stolen bases. O’Brien started 56 games overall, but just seven as the catcher as he mostly played third base in 2009. He hit .261 with 11 doubles, one triple, five home runs and 35 RBI.
    O'Brien needs to step it up this year and bring more production from the catcher position.

First Base

First team all-Valley selection senior Clint McKeever returns to the Shockers at first base. In 2009, he started all 57 games there and hit .333 with 18 doubles, one triple, six home runs, 43 RBI and six stolen bases.
    One position that truly looks like a position of strength. Hopefully McKeever can finish up with a strong senior finish and hit somewhere between 0.370 to 400.

Second Base

Senior Will Baez returns after starting 51 games at second base a year ago. He hit .275 with nine doubles, one triple, two home runs, 30 RBI and 17 stolen bases.
    An obvious weakness for team that is used to seeing this a position of strength at defense and on offense (Hooper, Blasi, etc). WSU didn't address this position so lets hope Basez can reach his full potential. WSU can't afford a hole in their defense and lineup.

Third Base

Sophomore Chris O’Brien started 42 games at third base last season, but will mostly play catcher in 2010. Battling for playing time at third are freshmen Nate Goro and Johnny Coy.
    The great hope is Johnny Coy. He had a great fall and if he can carry on where he left off WSU fans will be feeling better about their offense.

Shortstop

Sophomore Tyler Grimes, an honorable mention all-Valley selection in 2009, returns after starting 45 games at shortstop a year ago. He hit .294 with 12 doubles, two triples, five home runs, 26 RBI and 13 stolen bases.
    Another position of strength. The hope has to be that he can improve like past Shockers to go from honorable mention all-valley to All-American.

Outfield
    The Shockers return two starters to the outfield in 2010 in senior Ryan Jones and junior Mitch Caster. Jones started 32 games in centerfield and 25 in right field, while Caster started 17 in right field, 12 in left field and one in centerfield. Jones hit .277 with 12 doubles, seven home runs, 36 RBI and 14 stolen bases. Caster hit .231 with four doubles, 10 RBI and five stolen bases.

Sophomore Kevin Hall also returns after starting 12 games in centerfield before stress fractures in his back ended his 2009 season. Before the injury, he hit .256 with two doubles, four RBI and 12 stolen bases.
    Key has to be Ryan Jones bouncing back from a pitiful year and that Red-shirt Sophomore Kevin Hall is able to come back from his injury and build upon his success from his Frosh. There seems to be potential at the other OF position, but WSU just can't anybody to realize that potential. Maybe Travis Bennett will be that guy?

Designated Hitter
    Former Shocker Josh Rosecrans started 29 games as the designated hitter in 2009. He hit .259 with four doubles and 10 RBI.

There will be a lot of competition for the role, but leading candidates include junior Preston Springer, senior Travis Bennett and sophomore Chris O’Brien.

"There is a lot of competition for the designated hitter position between Preston Springer and Travis Bennett and maybe Chris O’Brien and others," Stephenson said. "It’s a good feeling that we have so much more talent available than we did a year ago.
    If WSU is not getting any production from the DH, then your probably going to see this team struggle offensively (and it probably a sign of lack of offensive talent on the team).

This has been usually a position to get younger players in the mix who have hitting talent but also had upperclassmen ahead of them. Here is a reminder of past DH's.

1999 - Andy Schreiber 8 HR, 0.607 slugging
    2000 - Brad Wright 0.340, Justin McCarty 0.347
    2001 - Bryan Erstad 0.325/Brad Wright 0.318
    2002 - Drew Moffitt 16 HR, 0.312/0.457/0.623
    2003 - Mark Johnson 0.301/Bryan Erstad 0.300
    2004 - Mark Johnson 0.333, 5 HR
    2005 - Danny Jackson 0.299, 4 HR
    2006 - Josh Workman 0.317, 4 HR, 35 SB
    2007 - Josh Workman 0.289, 4 HR/Danny Jackson 0.283 4 HR
    2008 - Bascue 0.231, Lassley 0.209, Hall 0.320, Caster 0.267
    2009 - Engrav 0.281, Rosecrans 0.259, Bascue 0.247

The two biggest concerns I have coming into this season is;

1) We need to improve on our offense. A team batting avg of .275 won't cut it.

2) Our entire relief pitching. Had some key guys hurt and are coming back from injury.

Comment

I think we will hit alot better than last season.I expect Baez to be much improved with a year of D1 under his belt.He finished strong in the regional.Can't wait for the season to start.

Comment

WICHITA, Kan. ? The Wichita State baseball team has been voted first in the annual Missouri Valley Conference baseball preseason coaches poll, announced Feb. 2 by the league office.

Picked to win the valley :)

Comment

Originally posted by BenWSU
          http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=7500&ATCLID=2 04875127

Picked to win the valley :)
          So Bennett last year is newcomer of the year, 2nd team all valley in the outfield, transfers to the Shockers, and doesn't make the preseason all valley team (all 1st team all valley outfielders from last year are gone I believe as none are listed)???

Comment

Looks like Gene picked Creighton #1 on his ballot.

Comment

After reading the outlook I would say the Coaching Staff's mantra for this year's team is CCC. Consistency, Consistency, Consistency.

Comment

So who are we throwing out as the pitcher for our first game of the season against nationally ranked Kansas? They will already have three games under their belt when they face us on Tuesday so they will more than likley throwing a mid-week pitcher or Ridenhour :D

Comment

Decent MVC breakdown here. Thought not mind blowing observations, all are valid with this program for 2010.

Comment

Wow a reference to Kevin Penner! If I remember corectly didn't he have to wear a football helmet to bat after he broke his jaw? Aw the good old days when everyone hit 400.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                      So who are we throwing out as the pitcher for our first game of the season against nationally ranked Kansas? They will already have three games under their belt when they face us on Tuesday so they will more than likley throwing a mid-week pitcher or Ridenhour :D
                      I'm sure we will throw our ACE because thats why no one likes to play us in mid week games since we always throw our ACE and they just throw the also rans because of their tough week end series. Thats why we have such a great win loss record because we take advantage of people by throwing our ACE in the mid week games.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo
                        Originally posted by KC Shox
                        I'm sure we will throw our ACE because thats why no one likes to play us in mid week games since we always throw our ACE and they just throw the also rans because of their tough week end series. Thats why we have such a great win loss record because we take advantage of people by throwing our ACE in the mid week games.
                        That's what OK-State fans said and then KU fans followed suit. Too bad we stopped doing this in the late 80's.

Comment

All valid points but I would imagine we will throw our ace since it's the first game of the season... Am I completely missing the point here?

Comment

KU

Unless the game is snowed out -- and why on earth is WSU opening in Lawrence in February? -- I assume the Shocks will reveal who they believe is their #1 guy by using him, inasmuch as he would then have four days rest before his next outing against USA, which is almost certainly the class of its own tournament in Mobile.

Comment

I'm putting my Monopoly money on Tim Kelley being the #1 guy.
                              ** aka Sunshine **

Comment

Working...
                              X