Rivals Article- 30 Teams to Watch Next Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rivals Article- 30 Teams to Watch Next Year

The Shockers are picked by Rivals as one of the top 30 teams for this upcoming season. It's going to be exciting to see how much our young players have improved. GO SHOX!!!

They welcome back Taylor Brown? We will be better next season, but we won't be a Top 30 team. Top 50 yes, but not Top 30 our offense and relief pitching need some major improvement. That's not to say it won't happen however.

Comment

Kendall Rogers actually picked us for this article (or any of his articles for that matter)? :shock:

Is he OK? Did someone slip something in his drink last night down at the gay bar? Is there a mold problem down in his Mom's basement where he produces his work? Should we take his temperature?

EDIT: And no mention of KU, or even moreso K-State? Oh the injustice! Someone from the AD at The Kitty Institute of Agriculture must have forgot to send out that memo to KR and Rivals. You know, the one about their arrival to the world of college baseball elite. :lol:

Comment

Seems like some Shocker fans are never happy. Either they pick us to low or they pick us to high. Just be happy sometime

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
          Seems like some Shocker fans are never happy. Either they pick us to low or they pick us to high. Just be happy sometime
          Agreed.

We had enough negativity (from myself more than anybody) last year than we'll ever need again. Time to start thinking happy thoughts about the program again.

Some nice love from Rogers surprisingly. We should be more seasoned and barring injuries, our pitching will give us a chance in any "big" game next year.

I'm with Ricky... where's the mention of the vaunted KU and KSU superpowers that are supposed to be taking over the state?

Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
            They welcome back Taylor Brown? We will be better next season, but we won't be a Top 30 team. Top 50 yes, but not Top 30 our offense and relief pitching need some major improvement. That's not to say it won't happen however.
            No doubt about it, our relief corp was devastated with the injuries that shelved Logan Hoch, Tyler Fleming and Grant Muncrief.

The key to our bullpen this year may be how well Hoch and Fleming can come back from their injuries.

I'm not sure what the prognosis is for Muncrief but he had his Tommy John surgery around April 21st of last year and was expected to be out 12 to 16 months, so he may or may not make it back this coming season. If he does, it would probably be for the latter half of the season.

Perhaps Mitch Caster could be of some value out of the bullpen. Sully reported this in an Eagle article on Aug 30th:

Mitch Caster is ranked No. 7 among Jayhawk League prospects. His upside appears to be as a pitcher, not an outfielder.

"Caster emerged as the team's second-hardest thrower, showing a 90-92 mph fastball," the ranking said. "Caster's more of a thrower than a pitcher with his limited experience, but his arm strength set him apart."
            If we can shore up the bullpen, then together with our starting pitching, we won't need a big jump in offensive production, although it would sure make things easier if we could score more consistently and often.

Comment

Caster throws some gas... Jury is still out with me on whether we would better benefit from him being a RP or OF... I think he could do both and thats the best route for us. I think the struggles offensively last year were a fluke and this next year will be big step up for the young man.
              Up your nose with a rubber hose - Barbarino

Comment

Caster throws some gas... Jury is still out with me on whether we would better benefit from him being a RP or OF... I think he could do both and thats the best route for us. I think the struggles offensively last year were a fluke and this next year will be big step up for the young man.
                The problem with Mitch is between his ears.
                Let's hope he can hit a D-1 Curve ball!

"God gave us the ability to reason, not religion" http://www.deism.com/

Comment

Originally posted by small tyme baller
                  Good point! I did not intend to imply that he would have to give up his OF duties. I agree with you that he could do both.

If he is mostly a thrower right now then it is most likely any pitching he would do would be short stints.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirley Schmidt
                    The problem with Mitch is between his ears.
                    Hopefully, Master Yoda (Brent) can work his magic with Mitch.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                      Originally posted by small tyme baller
                      Good point! I did not intend to imply that he would have to give up his OF duties. I agree with you that he could do both.

If he is mostly a thrower right now then it is most likely any pitching he would do would be short stints.
                      It appears we will have several options in the OF if Brent chooses to keep him on the bump...

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_
                        It appears we will have several options in the OF if Brent chooses to keep him on the bump...
                        True. You figure Ryan Jones is pretty much a lock in the outfield and Travis Bennett will make a strong bid for another slot as will Mitch, Bret Bascue and Kevin Hall.

Comment

[quote="KC Shox"]They welcome back Taylor Brown? We will be better next season, but we won't be a Top 30 team. Top 50 yes, but not Top 30 our offense and relief pitching need some major improvement. That's not to say it won't happen however.[/quote

I think next year WSU should challenge to host a regional. I'm sure people roll thier eyes at that but the pitching staff is going to be SOLID.

Hitting.....well I don't know if it will be gread but it will certainly be head and shoulders above last years team and I think will feature some pop that was missing last year. I think the biggest keys will be:

-how Grimes and Obrien improve from freshman year (hopefully wrist injury healed well for Grimes).

-how baez developed at 2b over the summer

-how Presten Springer handles the juco to d1 transition

-Ryan Jones just relaxing and not trying to do to much

Anyways here is what I think the starting positions will look like

1B Clint McKeever
                          2B Will Baez
                          SS Tyler Grimes
                          3B Preston Springer
                          LF Travis Bennet
                          CF Ryan Jones
                          RF Kevin Hall
                          C Obrien/Lassley
                          DH Coy/Engrav

Im hoping Goro and Green can find some work in there too.

Comment

KC Shox obviously knows a lot more about college basketball than Rivals.

He's proven it over and over on this message board.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                              KC Shox obviously knows a lot more about college basketball than Rivals.

He's proven it over and over on this message board.
                              "......college basketball than Rivals". Hey Captain Obvious, we are talking about college baseball.

And oh by the way, evidently I do know more than Rivals, Taylor Brown isn't even on the team anymore and this guy said he will be a key contributer next season. Looks like you need a refresher course in current affairs in regards to WSU Baseball too.

Comment

Working...
                              X