Rick Heller and Travis Bennett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rick Heller and Travis Bennett

Let's start a new thread to get this where it belongs, which has nothing to do with the NY Times.

"Does anyone know for sure if Bennet is locked in to attending WSU?

Could he and Taliaferro end up as Sycamores now that Heller is the new IS head coach?"

I haven't seen anything in Baseball America about the change at Indiana State that one of our posters reported, but assuming it's true, it's my understanding that Bennett has indeed signed a scholarship agreement with WSU.

Apart from that, though, why in the world would he want to go to Terre Haute even if he could? That would require Rick Heller to be quite the Pied Piper.

Well, he's not listed on the roster, so I guess anything is possible.

Comment

Ind St baseball website confirms Heller was announced as head coach today.

IMO, offering a scholarship to an athlete does not mean he has to accept it.

IMO a signed letter of intent would have more credence than a scholarship offer, but I still am not sure if it equates to an "executed contract". Thus the question.

If an athelete is comfortable with the coach I would think that would be a significant influence. Not knocking Wichita, but WSU does a great job of recruiting baseball players without a football program, social amenities, and/or the lure of big 12 exposure, just saying.

Comment

Bennett

Letters of intent don't apply with transfers, BB00. Scholarship agreements are used in such cases and are binding. I could be wrong, but I believe I remember reading that Bennett had signed a scholarship agreement, in which case he's committed. If he hasn't done so, then he isn't -- but I expect to have him at WSU starting soon, if he isn't already there.

Comment

Re: Rick Heller and Travis Bennett

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
          Apart from that, though, why in the world would he want to go to Terre Haute even if he could? That would require Rick Heller to be quite the Pied Piper.
          I think you may have answered your own question - would you want to go to Indiana State for your last year of college ball that has no short term future, or would you like to go to a program that is likely at a very minimum play in a regional, practice in a indoor facility during the winter, and will be like a tropical paradise (uh know with global warming and all).

Comment

Re: Rick Heller and Travis Bennett

Originally posted by SB Shock
            Originally posted by WSUwatcher
            I think you may have answered your own question - would you want to go to Indiana State for your last year of college ball that has no short term future, or would you like to go to a program that is likely at a very minimum play in a regional, practice in a indoor facility during the winter, and will be like a tropical paradise (uh know with global warming and all).
            True, true, but does Bennett have a greater chance of starting and playing full-time at ISU, or take his chances here and fight tooth-and-nail with our talented group of guys for playing time. A tough decision indeed.

Comment

Bennett

Well, KC, as we've discussed before, if you look at Bennett's offense and that of the Shocker returnees, he appears to be the best offensive player of the bunch. No doubt that's why Gene was so interested.

I've said it before -- I expect Bennett to go into the fall at WSU with a spot that's his to lose. So that shouldn't be a concern in the least.

Comment

Working...
              X