Fall wrap-up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall wrap-up

I can't believe no one has posted anything about Saturday's 6th game, alumni day, and home run contest.

What follows are my observations from games 2 and 3, plus the observations of a few other fans who's opinions I respect. It's not as "first hand" as it has been in years past, but may be more objective since it's not just my opinions being expressed.
    • There were not many surprises among the position players. Gillaspie, Weber, Dirks, Coleman, and Workman performed about like you would expect them to and will be everyday players next spring.
    • Kyle Sisney impressed a lot of people and will compete for second base. He's solid defensively and a true switch hitter. And he's not just a Judy hitter - he had 3 doubles in the 6 game series, hitting .308 overall on 8 for 26.
    • Clint McKeever hit .400 in the series on 8 for 20 with 3 doubles. His defense at first base was solid, he has good speed, a strong arm, and will just get better as a hitter. He has quick hands and he squares up a lot of pitches. Clint will be an asset as a relief pitcher as well. Clint is quietly developing into a fine ballplayer.
    • Kenny Williams batted .412 in the series on 7 for 17, all singles. Kenny has the tools to be a great ballplayer.
    • Brett Bascue batted .364 with 4 doubles. He DH'ed because he's recovering from a minor shoulder injury, but he is a capable defender in the outfield.
    • We are DEEP in the outfield: Dirks, Jones, Hill, Williams, Bascue. It's going to be next to impossible for a freshman to break into the outfield this spring. I've heard a lot of favorable comments about Kevin Hall, but he was just 4 for 23 in the series.
    • Cody Lassley. How do we get his bat in the lineup? He hit .348 in the series with two doubles and a triple. He's got pop and he's got speed. Unfortunately he doesn't have a position, as he's buried behind Tyler Weber at catcher this season, and he's not strong enough at second or left to beat out the incumbents.
    • Tim Kelley. 18 innings pitched. Silky smooth delivery and tremendous composure. Midweek starter.
    • Grant Muncrief will be buried behind Conor Gillaspie at third this season but will be an asset out of the bullpen while he mentors under Conor. Muncrief will contribute this season.
    • Roberto Rios - 5 for 9 in the series, but he doesn't seem to "fit" anywhere this spring.
    • Cameron Maldenado. 0.82 ERA in 11 innings. Potential midweek starter.
    • Justin Kemp. 0.00 ERA in 5.2 innings. Is listed as C/RHP but will contribute this spring as a pitcher.
    • Logan Hoch. LHP. Jr. transfer from Hutch Juco. 13 K's in 9 innings. Will help us out of the pen.
    • Tyler Fleming. Jr transfer from Cowley College. 7.16 ERA and took 2 of the losses, but still impressed some people enough to pencil him in as a midweek starter.
    • Newcomers will play a minimal role on offense, but a significant role in the bullpen, with as many as 5 guys making significant contributions.

After the losses to graduation and the draft, there was a feeling that this would be a bit of a down year. Our starting pitching would be outstanding, but there were more questions than answers everywhere else. After the fall practice there is a sense of optimism, that we just might be pretty good. We will be rock solid defensively, and our offense holds the promise of being possibly better than last year. We could have 5 solid starting pitchers, and if our relief pitching falls into place, we could be as good or better than we were last year.

4 long months till opening day.

Anybody stand out with the potential of getting 10+ homers in the season. We've been lacking power of late.

Comment

Tyler Weber
      Conor Gillaspie

Dirks, Workman, Coleman, Jones, McKeever, Bascue, and Lassley will provide pop throughout the lineup.

Comment

Excellent wrap up Hays, as usual. I miss your personal input and I believe someone asked for donations to get you back, you can put me down for part of that as well.

After this fall, I am very optimistic about this team, the big question will be how the bullpen comes together. Our 3 horses along with Womack and Coleman to close will be very solid. I am very impressed with Tim Kelley, Tyler Fleming (although his ERA was elevated), and Logan Hoch and think they will be solid mid week guys. You can probably throw Maldanado in there as well. If Kemp and Muncrief can continue to show improvement, this will be another strong pitching staff that we have come to expect from Brent every year. Tyson Fugit has something wrong. Word is he can't get the velocity over 80 this year and will get looked at to see if something is wrong. May be hint of a medical redshirt if there is something there, not sure about that one.

The defense will be well above average with depth at virtually every position, with maybe the exclusion of short stop. I believe that Harrison Drieling and/or Taylor Brown will be able to spell Dusty if he is in to pitch or God forbid has some sort of injury, but not sure if either can replace his bat. The outfield will be tremendous in my opinion. Dirks has a little issue with his throwing shoulder, but is confident he will be ready to go when the season starts. I pencil him in at center. Bascue shows up for games with the bat, and that is all you can ask for, if his shoulder is good to go he will push for a spot in left, with Tyler Hill. I think Jones will take the right field spot. He hit the ball well all fall, and although he only hit .250 for the series, he was coming off a slight concussion the 2 games he dh'd for the gold squad and didn't hit particularly well. He came back in game 6 with a solid 2-4 with a rope single up the middle and a HR to dead center. I think he either led the team or tied the team lead in HR's for the fall, anyone have the stats on that?

I think the offense could be very good. There is great speed across the line up ( with the exception of TWeb, sorry Tyler) and solid bats up and down the lineup. I think the power numbers will be up greatly, both gap hits as well as HR's.

Here are my bold predictions:
        Dirks will have an OBP close to .500
        Conor will hit close to .400 (also be an all american)
        Tyler Weber will hit 15+ HR
        Jones will hit over .300 - which says alot since he hit .155 last year
        Sisney will work his way into 2nd by year end
        HR's will be up for the following:
        Conor
        Weber
        Jones
        Coleman
        Workman
        Dirks

McKeever will be an everyday 1st baseman and by year end be an absolute stud.

This team has the making of going all the way to Omaha if the bull pen comes of age and team leadership keeps the young guys focused.

Dirks will keep everyone loose - Conor will lead by example - Tyler Hill and Tyler Weber will lead this team and keep them focused.

Lastly, I am very disappointed in the media for the lack of coverage effort they have shown for a team that finished 12th in the national polls last year, and is in the pre fall top 25. Granted I am biased, but I believe this team should start in the top 15-20 with the potential to lock in a top 8 before season end and host their 2nd straight super regional. BOLD, but BEAUTIFUL, isn't it?

Comment

Re: Fall wrap-up

Originally posted by haysdb
          We could have 5 solid starting pitchers, and if our relief pitching falls into place, we could be as good or better than we were last year.

4 long months till opening day.

The glass is always more than 1/2 full in the fall but I agree with your professional assessment db. Somehow, someway I feel that our bullpen will come around and be more than serviceable. Brent seems to have a decent track record with building the staff.

If we can a hit better than last year...............I can't wait!

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu:

Comment

Nice summary db.

It will be an interesting year. Home schedule not as intimidating as last year.

As far as power, T-Web and Conor should lead the way. Clinton McKeever has plenty but has a line-drive swing.

I think Dusty Coleman could provide some occassional pop.

The power numbers may not be up much, but this team could have very good overall team speed. T-Web is really about the only base-clogger we have.l You look at Clinton and think there is a base-clogger, but he gets going very well for a really big man.

We also have a lot of versatility on this team. Not sure I remember a time when we had so many combo positions on the roster.

However, if Justin Kemp pitches like he did in the FWS you can scratch the Catcher position off from his name.

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
              Nice summary db.

As far as power, T-Web and Conor should lead the way. Clinton McKeever has plenty but has a line-drive swing.

The power numbers may not be up much, but this team could have very good overall team speed. T-Web is really about the only base-clogger we have.l You look at Clinton and think there is a base-clogger, but he gets going very well for a really big man.

We also have a lot of versatility on this team. Not sure I remember a time when we had so many combo positions on the roster.

However, if Justin Kemp pitches like he did in the FWS you can scratch the Catcher position off from his name.

You can scratch the Catcher position off after this year anyway we have two stud Catches coming in.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22
                Originally posted by 1972Shocker
                Nice summary db.

You can scratch the Catcher position off after this year anyway we have two stud Catches coming in.
                I can live with that! :good:

Comment

I was even forgetting Andy Womack since he was out of sight, out of mind this fall. I actually did see him at the ballpark and he was his easy-going self. Andy will obviously be a big part of our bullpen come spring.

Another guy not to be overlooked is Kohl Nanney. The word I get is he's throwing better than ever, and Khol at his best is very very good. He's just been inconsistent.

That's bad news about Tyson. At the beginning of last fall he was gasoline on a fire, but by the time the series rolled around, he was sharp and appeared to be headed for a midweek starter spot. I wonder if whatever is bothering him wasn't bothering him some last spring.

We have the luxury of not needing every pitcher next spring. I believe I counted 19 pitchers on the roster, counting the two-way players Coleman, McKeever, Muncrief, Kemp, and Caster. As long as our main guys stay healthy, we just need SOME of these other guys to emerge. It will be very competitive!

Comment

Working...
                  X