No announcement yet.

Tim Weiser is a pus . . . you know what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is both a climate issue, and a committment issue. Wichita St. and Nebraska have shown that a bad weather school can compete. When Weiser talks of never having a level playing field, he is also referring to BCS schools who are on the short end of the climate stick. He is not really dead set on squashing the mid-major programs.

I'd rather leave the system where it is, and keep the NBC. Much rather have 64 teams with 30+ players playing in August than just 8 with 27 man rosters. Summer ball makes up for time lost by weather disadvantaged players.

Comment

Originally posted by ICT Ragman
      Is it a BCS issue or a northern/southern thing and climate issue ? I say climate. In fact, bad weather is one factor that keeps the Big 10 from being a baseball conference. Also it was a major cause, I am guessing, of Iowa St and Colorado dropping the sport. On the flip side, its a big part of why the Long Beach Sts, Irvines, and Fullertons of the world are better programs than many BCS schools.
      I agree. Also, Long Beach and Fullerton are good because California is saturated with baseball talent. High school programs there churn out too much talent for only BCS programs like USC, Cal, Stanford or UCLA to keep for themselves.

In addition, if you lived in California all your life would you be willing to give up the nice weather and "progressive culture" and the ability to play baseball 365 in favor of going to the Midwest and freeze your butt off at a Big 10 program?

I was talking to WSU's assistant golf coach and WSU chooses not to recruit out west. Why? Because Cali kids don't want to come to the midwest is the main reason. They can play golf year around in Cali and get better faster. The same reason applies to baseball too.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
        I agree. Also, Long Beach and Fullerton are good because California is saturated with baseball talent. High school programs there churn out too much talent for only BCS programs like USC, Cal, Stanford or UCLA to keep for themselves.

In addition, if you lived in California all your life would you be willing to give up the nice weather and "progressive culture" and the ability to play baseball 365 in favor of going to the Midwest and freeze your butt off at a Big 10 program?

I was talking to WSU's assistant golf coach and WSU chooses not to recruit out west. Why? Because Cali kids don't want to come to the midwest is the main reason. They can play golf year around in Cali and get better faster. The same reason applies to baseball too.
        So what reason is there for not wanting to move the season back? Don't mess with success? I think College Baseball would be even more popular if the season was moved back. It wouldn't interfere with school. The CWS could be in August when NOTHING is going on in sports.

Comment

It could really screw with the MLB draft and signing of contracts. It will NEVER be pushed back that far.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
            It could really screw with the MLB draft and signing of contracts. It will NEVER be pushed back that far.
            That is a huge issue but really shouldn't be. The draft should be in October anyway? What difference does it make? When has anyone ever been drafted in June and contributed that year in the majors. What other sport has the draft during their season?

I don't disagree with you that it will never happen, but I get really tired of these groups (NCAA) that are afraid of change. We are making money now so why change anything? Can you say Chrysler and GM...

Comment

Originally posted by shockfan89_
              Originally posted by SubGod22
              That is a huge issue but really shouldn't be. The draft should be in October anyway? What difference does it make? When has anyone ever been drafted in June and contributed that year in the majors. What other sport has the draft during their season?

I don't disagree with you that it will never happen, but I get really tired of these groups (NCAA) that are afraid of change. We are making money now so why change anything? Can you say Chrysler and GM...
              I dont typically read Jemele Hill but this article was pretty good
              Why does the NCAA not care about baseball players' leaving school early? Because they don't bring in the big bucks.

I can understand wanting to get players right away into camp and all. But wouldnt a draft before the season or even right after be odd? for baseball at least? Lets just use Garrett Gould as an example. Say they host the draft in October right after the World series. Now say GG goes number 1 overall. Does the team that drafts him really want him to pitch that upcoming high school (or college) season for fear of injury?

Now it does work both ways I suppose. The Royals have already signed alot of kids so im sure they are in Arizona now as compared to their respective summerball teams.

And back to the point of Tim Weiser, I dont really care what he has to say. TOSU can afford to send their team to the south for a month to play. Wichita State cant. Texas can take all the buy games they want because of their huge endowment (no homo)

MLB doesnt care one way or another about what is going in the amateur ranks. Thats one reason why they have never fixed the slot system. Logan Watkins could have came here and improved his draft status, but is he really dumb for taking the deal he was offered? I dont think it is. Hell Look at Xavier Henry's brother who drafted really high with the Yankees couldnt cut it now is having his college paid for.
              Thats whats hurting college baseball more than anything. Outside of nobody really gives 2 shits about it either way.

Comment

Re: Tim Weiser is a pus . . . you know what

Originally posted by ABC
                http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20090616/SPORTS05/906170342/-1/SPORTS12

Omaha, Neb. — Before they dropped a piano on its head, the Northern Iowa baseball team opened the season with 23 straight road games. Ohio State played more contests in the state of Florida this spring (25) than it did in the state of Ohio (23).

If you really want to get serious, there are two ways to preserve big-time college baseball in the Midwest. The first is for every Division I school north of Branson and east of Salt Lake to dome their stadiums. Good luck with that.

"People aren't too thrilled to sit out in cold weather in a not-very-nice ballpark," offered Arkansas coach Dave Van Horn, who has piloted two different schools from two different regions — Nebraska and the Razorbacks — to the College World Series. "They want to see some things that draw them to the park. Some beauty in it."

You could use a lot of words to describe Waterloo's Riverfront Stadium. "Beauty" isn't one of them.

The second idea is to delay the start of the regular season. A number of coaches have suggested an opening date of April 1, just as the NCAA basketball tournaments go riding off into the sunset.

It makes perfect sense, too, until you ponder the end of the slate. Assuming teams need 13 weeks to finish out a regular season and another four for the postseason, that would move the College World Series to - um, the first week of August.

Omaha, no surprise, is not particularly crazy about that idea. Neither is the NCAA.

"The answer, of course, is that we've got a pretty fixed event here on the back end," Tim Weiser, deputy commissioner of the Big 12 and chair of the NCAA Division I baseball committee, offered Tuesday at Rosenblatt Stadium. "We're not going to be able to do much with that."

And there you go. The last true cold-weather school to win a College World Series was Wichita State in 1989, if you're still counting. The Big Ten hasn't placed a team at Rosenblatt since Michigan in 1984.

The Atlantic Coast Conference, the Pac-10 and the Southeastern Conference accounted for five of the eight schools in this year's field. The leagues combined for six of the eight in 2008; four of the eight in 2007; and six of the eight in 2006. If you play where it snows in April, brother, good luck getting your ticket punched.

"The problem is, it's still, to an extent, a regional sport," said Dave Keilitz, executive director of the American Baseball Coaches Association. "And if you don't have people around you playing it, it makes it more difficult to start it up. It makes it easier to drop it if nobody in your region has it. It's not like football, where you go play on the weekend ... the longer you've got to travel, the more expensive it's going to be."

Money wasn't the only reason why the Panthers dropped baseball after 103 years, but it didn't help. Northern Iowa led the life of a typical small, Northern program: Spend the first four weeks of the slate on the road, touring the South or the West, trying not to get your brains beat in while eating giant holes out of your budget. Return home in late March to the cold and the nonexistent crowds that don't help your bottom line, either.

By mid-April, when winter's finally given up the fight, you've only got a month left of games to play. No wonder there's no tradition, no fan base. No wonder Nebraska and Wichita State were the only Midwest schools to crack the top 20 in home attendance in last year.
                This year Wichita State was the ONLY northern school to crack the top 20 in attendance.

The top 10 in attendance in 2010: LSU, ARKANSAS, OLE MISS, SO. CAROLINA, TEXAS, MISS ST, CLEMSON, FLORIDA ST, ALABAMA, WICHITA STATE

There are only 7 northern schools in the top 42 (rank and average attendance follow the schools name ):

Wichita State #10- 3643
                UNL -#22 - 2821
                OREGON- #27 -2321
                Oregon St. #29 -2090
                Minnesota #35 -1812
                Kstate #38 -1714
                Creighton #42 -1314

I included the two Oregon schools as northern schools even though they are not "cold weather schools", otherwise it would only be 5 schools, with 2 of them from the Valley and 2 of them from the state of Kansas (2 from the state of Nebraska also).

Link: http://www.goshockers.com/fls/7500/p...DB_OEM_ID=7500

:wsu_posters:

Comment

Interesting info.

Thanks Shocker3.

The upper West Coast weather is interesting and hard to pin point.

Remember that Mark Twain said the coldest winter he ever had was the summer he spent in San Francisco.

Comment

Wow. The committment to our baseball program remains extremely high. Imagine if the regular season went through the month of June. I have no doubt that our avg. attendance would climb above 4,000-5,000.

I would kill to get back to Omaha.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                      Wow. The committment to our baseball program remains extremely high. Imagine if the regular season went through the month of June. I have no doubt that our avg. attendance would climb above 4,000-5,000.

I would kill to get back to Omaha.
                      I agree. The college baseball season weather seems to be getting colder and wetter each year. Maybe it is my age. :wsu_posters:

Comment

It was reported in the Omaha paper, during a past CWS, that another problem involved with moving college baseball to the summer involves room and board issues.

Many schools shut dorms/cafeterias down over the summer or have skeleton crews and limited options. Opening dorms/upping the staffing levels would apparently cause significant costs to many of the schools, so there is no groundswell of support for such a move.

I agree it is more of a north/south issue than a big school/small school issue. Southern schools see nothing wrong with the current system and have no desire to change it. There aren't enough northern schools with baseball programs that care enough abut baseball to try to compel a change. The NCAA likes the money it makes and wants to keep baseball as far away from football as possible for fear that baseball it would get lost in the football shadow if the CWS was in August.

I'd like to see schools be allowed to give a full allotment of full scholarships, instead of the rinky dink system we have now. It is doubtful that northern schools will be successful pulling kids from Cali or the south, but at least the lure of full (instead of partial) scholarships might keep more kids from jumping to the majors out of HS.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum
                          It was reported in the Omaha paper, during a past CWS, that another problem involved with moving college baseball to the summer involves room and board issues.

Many schools shut dorms/cafeterias down over the summer or have skeleton crews and limited options. Opening dorms/upping the staffing levels would apparently cause significant costs to many of the schools, so there is no groundswell of support for such a move.

I agree it is more of a north/south issue than a big school/small school issue. Southern schools see nothing wrong with the current system and have no desire to change it. There aren't enough northern schools with baseball programs that care enough abut baseball to try to compel a change. The NCAA likes the money it makes and wants to keep baseball as far away from football as possible for fear that baseball it would get lost in the football shadow if the CWS was in August.

I'd like to see schools be allowed to give a full allotment of full scholarships, instead of the rinky dink system we have now. It is doubtful that northern schools will be successful pulling kids from Cali or the south, but at least the lure of full (instead of partial) scholarships might keep more kids from jumping to the majors out of HS.
                          name one school that has Div-1 baseball that doesn't have summer classes, and therefore suppoort for the students?
                          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                          ---------------------------------------
                          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu
                            Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum

name one school that has Div-1 baseball that doesn't have summer classes, and therefore suppoort for the students?
                            First of all, it isn't my argument, so don't attack me. There was a lengthy article about it last year or the year before in the OWH.

Secondly, while most schools have summer classes, there is not the same level of enrollment at most institutions during the summer as there is doing regular terms and the level of services provided is usually not the same. Furthermore, while many schools do offer summer classes, many do not have the dorms available for students over the summer and/or have significantly reduced food options (e.g., maybe a snack bar, only open for limited hours, as opposed to the regular dining halls). I have no idea if that is the case at WSU or not, but I can tell you that it is certainly the case at Creighton and several other schools. Obviously, at schools where athletes are required to live on campus, this is a bigger issue than at schools that where such campus housing is not the norm. Even for those schools where off campus housing is the norm, it still presents issues like how are students to pay for the additional cost of renting housing over the summer, etc.

Finally, I don't think it is THE argument keeping there from being summer baseball, but just another in a list of arguments against it.

Comment

Basketball players come back in the summer to play pick up games. Football players practice in the summer.
                              Most WSU athletes don't even live on campus.
                              And has already been noted, nearly all universities have summer school.

I think this argument is just another red herring.

Comment

Working...
                              X