Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New workout regimen

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New workout regimen

    One of the guys told me last weekend that their strength and conditioning program was very different this year, with more emphasis on flexibility and quickness. I believe the term "explosive strength" was used.

    I will try to find out some additional details.

  • #2
    Re: New workout regimen

    Originally posted by haysdb
    One of the guys told me last weekend that their strength and conditioning program was very different this year, with more emphasis on flexibility and quickness. I believe the term "explosive strength" was used.

    I will try to find out some additional details.
    Sounds like a good move. I've wondered for years whether or not they did much in their training for flexibility. Could cut down on injuries.

    Comment


    • #3
      Training should be sport specific. In baseball there is a lot of quick, explosive movements, such as accelerating out of the box, first step crossovers to field a ground ball, swinging a bat and stealing bases. Weight Training should be a lot of explosive lifts designed to increase fast twitch fibers with flexibility training thrown in. This instead of going into the weight room to see how much someone can bench press and curl. In the past few years we have had so many players hurt, and I think a big reason is because of lack of knowledge in this department!!!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        I'm pretty sure Rosenboom knows his stuff!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by biggoldshocker
          Training should be sport specific. In baseball there is a lot of quick, explosive movements, such as accelerating out of the box, first step crossovers to field a ground ball, swinging a bat and stealing bases. Weight Training should be a lot of explosive lifts designed to increase fast twitch fibers with flexibility training thrown in. This instead of going into the weight room to see how much someone can bench press and curl. In the past few years we have had so many players hurt, and I think a big reason is because of lack of knowledge in this department!!!!!
          :roll:

          Doubt it.

          Comment


          • #6
            There are many things you can question about Wichita State athletics.

            However, our strength and conditioning staff's knowledge is not one of them.

            Comment


            • #7
              Well, somebody decided it was time for a change, and it wasn't Rosenboom. As I understand it, he is not the one overseeing the new program.

              Comment


              • #8
                Training should be sport specific. In baseball there is a lot of quick, explosive movements, such as accelerating out of the box, first step crossovers to field a ground ball, swinging a bat and stealing bases. Weight Training should be a lot of explosive lifts designed to increase fast twitch fibers with flexibility training thrown in. This instead of going into the weight room to see how much someone can bench press and curl. In the past few years we have had so many players hurt, and I think a big reason is because of lack of knowledge in this department!!!!!

                I don't want to quibble about your quote because most of what is said is accurate, but all athletes weight train with explosive lifts designed to increase fast twitch fibers. The bench press does this also if done correctly. However, the bench press is a lift that most correlates to a football block. There are however, lifts, exercises, plyometrics, etc. that work well for most if not all sports such as squats that can be include into a proper program. I don't know anything about WSU's past program or their new one but I hope that it pays off.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by vbird53
                  There are many things you can question about Wichita State athletics.

                  However, our strength and conditioning staff's knowledge is not one of them.

                  At the very least the article in the paper today validates that a question did exist.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    i agree squats should be implemented and i agree with the bench press, but i am talking about other things that should be super setted with these exercises to increase fast twitch. I know first hand that the shocker baseball team had not done anything of this kind before, but from what I have heard this has all changed and they are doing things along with the bench and squat that will increase their explosiveness and quickness.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by biggoldshocker
                      i agree squats should be implemented and i agree with the bench press, but i am talking about other things that should be super setted with these exercises to increase fast twitch. I know first hand that the shocker baseball team had not done anything of this kind before, but from what I have heard this has all changed and they are doing things along with the bench and squat that will increase their explosiveness and quickness.

                      Did you read the article?

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X