Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black takes game 3

Black takes game 3, and they did it largely behind newcomers:
    • 6-innings from Jr transfer (Cowley College in Enid OK) Tyler Fleming who allowed just 3 runs on 5 hits
    • 2.2 innings of scoreless relief from freshman Grant Moncrief, who contributed offensively with 2-for-3 at the plate with an RBI
    • The bottom 4 in the order, freshmen Ryan Engrav, Grant Muncrief, Mitch Castor, and Taylor Brown, were a combined 5-for-14 with 3 RBI
    • Errorless defense

Josh Workman, hitting third for the black, walked twice and was hit once.

Kyle Sisney hit the ball well all four at-bats, going 2-for-4 as the leadoff hitter for the Gold. Someone had described him as a "bloop hitter" but he led off the game with a double to the left center gap, so take that. Kyle is also a true switch-hitter, equally comfortable from both sides.

Grant Muncrief will be playing behind Conor Gillaspie this season, but we're in good hands after Conor leaves. He hits, he plays solid defense, and he pitches.

Tim Kelley got off to a bit of a rough start, giving up 2 runs in the second and third innings, but he never lost his composure and he settled down and kept the Black scoreless in the 4th, 5th, and 6th.

Conor Gillaspie is 6-for-10 with 4 walks in the series.

Edit: Black won, not Gold. My mistake.

Munciref is a stud! Great bat and arm with a big league type of body.

It looks like Fleming and Kelley will be the top canidates for the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation and they have both looked pretty good in two starts.

Sisney will be tough to keep out of the lineup, he is a sparkplug type player like an eckstein or a Ryan Theriot.

Bold predictions for the Spring: Tyler weber will hit 20 homeruns and Gillaspie will flirt with a .400 average.

Comment

Black takes game 3
      Gold takes game 3
      :roll: :wacko:
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316
        Black takes game 3
        Gold takes game 3
        :roll: :wacko:
        My mistake. Black won game 3, so the series now stands 2-1 Gold.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22
          Munciref is a stud! Great bat and arm with a big league type of body.

It looks like Fleming and Kelley will be the top canidates for the 4 and 5 spots in the rotation and they have both looked pretty good in two starts.

Sisney will be tough to keep out of the lineup, he is a sparkplug type player like an eckstein or a Ryan Theriot.

Bold predictions for the Spring: Tyler weber will hit 20 homeruns and Gillaspie will flirt with a .400 average.
          The triangle this year will be Workman-Sisney-Lassley. The only way to get all three bats in the lineup is to put Cody in left field, but that puts either Tyler Hill or Clint McKeever on the bench. I do like what I have seen from Kyle Sisney, but with Josh at second we can get another power bat into the lineup. It will all come down to who hits in the spring.

We could be in great shape midweek for a change. It's the bullpen that's a bit of a question mark, as we lost Booth, Krol, and Touchatt.

I too look for a big offensive year from T-Web.

Comment

I wouldnt get to excited about the prospect of workman at second. After watching him in the black and gold series I can honestly say i dont think ive seen him make a play yet. he has missed several (and i dont mean a couple) routine plays. I'd put anyone at second but him to be honest. now this is just based off what ive seen so far in teh series. I know everyone would love to see his potential come through and see him be succesfull at second but i just dont think its going to happen. Sissny has looked very good at second however and his bat has impressed me as well. I'd expect to see josh as a dh again this year nless he makes some serious strides at second. I would expect to see coleman or sissny at second as the regular starter this year based on what ive seen. Just my .02 cents.

Comment

I think Tyler Hill needs to be in the lineup every game. Last year, one person who could make a clutch hit late in the season was Tyler.
              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by t7017s
                I wouldnt get to excited about the prospect of workman at second. After watching him in the black and gold series I can honestly say i dont think ive seen him make a play yet. he has missed several (and i dont mean a couple) routine plays. I'd put anyone at second but him to be honest.
                Josh has made one error in the series according to the box scores.

Comment

Well one according to box scores yes. he hasnt shown much ability to get to balls that he should. When he has he hasnt played them well at all if he was lucky enough to get his glove on them that is. he really hasnt gotten his glove on much of anything and that may have something to do with not being credited for more errors. He seemed like he might be getting to a point last year when he did get some time at second to field the position. he didnt look the greatest but looked good enough. he sure hasnt in this series. making the routine play is just to important to gene to take a chance at second base. Its to bad your not in town anymore to see the series hays cus i really appreciate you thoughts and opinions about the team. i tend to agree with you 95% of the time. Wish you could be here to see it so we could discuss this in more depth other than he says she says sort of a conversation. I'm not trying to take anything from josh cus id love to see him succeed as much as anyone and make the most out of his potential. there is little doubt that he has more than most on this team. but i just dont think his d is going to come around at this point if it hasnt already.

Comment

Originally posted by haysdb
                    Originally posted by t7017s
                    I wouldnt get to excited about the prospect of workman at second. After watching him in the black and gold series I can honestly say i dont think ive seen him make a play yet. he has missed several (and i dont mean a couple) routine plays. I'd put anyone at second but him to be honest.
                    Josh has made one error in the series according to the box scores.
                    Workman has been servicable at second, and will probably start there. However Sisney has shown me a ton! Workman might be a DH just to have sisney a part of the lineup.

Coleman will be full time SS not 2b. Also I don't think lassley will get the PT that Hays thinks. He will play when Weber needs a night off. Here is my lineup just for fun:

Dirks LF
                    Workamn DH
                    Gilaspie 3b
                    Webber C
                    MCkeever 1b
                    Hill RF
                    Jones CF
                    Coleman SS
                    Sisney 2b

Pitching:
                    Schafer
                    Musgrave
                    Capra
                    Kelley
                    Flrming

top Middle
                    Muncrief
                    Fuggett
                    Hoch
                    Nanney

Closer
                    Womack

Comment

Amendments:

Also Maldanaldo looks like a good middle releif guy as well.

After further consideration Hays might be right about Lassley. If Mckeever doesn't hit Lassley should get his shot at first.

Comment

This is fun.

I do not disagree in the least that Kyle Sisney looks great at second. It's not hard for me to imagine him starting there on day one and owning that position for the next three our four years.

Lassley at first base is something I hadn't thought of. Cody is only 5'10" so not a very big target. Clint is definitely my guy at first base. He could platoon some with Tyler Hill, but my money is on him being there every day.

Tyler Hill can certainly play right, but there are stronger arms available.

Andy Dirks will be in center. He has been in left some this fall but only because he tweaked something in his shoulder. No one thinks that's anything serious. There are faster outfielders but Andy positions himself well, gets great jumps, catches everything he reaches, and makes good decisions. He's my field general in center.

Ryan Jones is in right because he has a stronger arm than Hill but is a step below Dirks defensively, IMO.

Kenny Williams poses an interesting "dilemma," if he hits well enough to make the outfield over Hill or Jones. He has the speed and arm to potentially push Dirks to left or right.

Cody Lassley poses the biggest dilemma in my mind. I like Cody's bat enough that I'd like to see him a regular part of the lineup, but I just don't know where to put him. He'll spell Tyler Weber behind the plate occasionally, but only occasionally. He can play second but I don't see him being an everyday second baseman. He can play left field, and might platoon some with Tyler Hill. He can DH but Josh is in his way at that position.

Comment

The good news is we have alot of options.

I too hope that Mckeever will hit, however after watching him hit I can see why he has had a lack of power for such a big guy. It's his hands. If you watch him hit he keeps his hands in tight to his body close to his neck. He does move them back as a timing mechanism, however they do not seperate far enough from his body to generate power. If he started with his hands further back he could generate more bat speed.

Comment

Could you please pass this on to Coach Thomas and maybe he can work with McKeever

Comment

Originally posted by wushock
                              Could you please pass this on to Coach Thomas and maybe he can work with McKeever
                              Yeah I'll get right on that. :roll:

Comment

Working...
                              X