No announcement yet.

2009 Tournament - New format (Pod Play)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Tournament - New format (Pod Play)

MVC is going to try a new format for the tournament - Pod Play

Pool 1
    No. 1, No. 4 and No. 5

Pool 2
    No. 2, No. 3 and No. 6

Each team plays two games against it's pod members and one outside it's pod. Winners of the pod's play in the championship game.

No. 1 would play No. 4, 5, and 6
    No. 2 would play No. 3, 5 and 6

I think I kind of like this format change. Maybe. Last year's format was too heavily weighted for the #1 and #2 seeds. With this format, all teams get at least 3 games for their trouble. Also, this format allows for host to get prime-time games the during pod play, which should help overall attendance.

Seems like maybe pod winners should play best 2 of 3, but in a 4 or 5 day stretch the pitching would be toast.

We'll see how it works.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Yeah, I agree.

I was looking at the season tickets and it looks like that Wed, Thur, Frid will be pod play games. That should allow for each team to only play once a day and I would assume the host would be able to play the 7pm game every day.

There is two games scheduled for Sat, so I wonder if one team comes out of pod play undefeated and one doesn't then do they have to be beaten twice?

The one downside that some schools won't like is they will have to stay 3-4 days in Wichita regardless of whether they have a shot or not and soak up that cost.

Comment

I need a diagram

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood
          I need a diagram

Code:
          Pod 1 (Seeds 1, 4 and 5) Pod 2 (Seeds 2, 3 and 6)

Day 1            Day 2              Day 3             Day 4
                      Wed., May 20 Thurs., May 21 Fri., May 22     Sat. May 23
          Game 1   4 vs. 5          3 vs. 4             3 vs. 6
          Game 2   2 vs. 3          2 vs. 6             2 vs. 5
          Game 3   1 vs. 6          1 vs. 5             1 vs. 4             Championship

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
            I need a diagram

Code:

I need a graph, preferably pie chart.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu
              I need a diagram

Code:

I need a graph, preferably pie chart.

Comment

PETA= People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

If the tournament started today we would play Illlinois St,Creighton,and Indiana St.

Comment

Here are the standings as of today:

Indiana State 15-4
                    Missouri State 14-5
                    Creighton 14-6
                    Wichita State 8-7
                    Illinois State 11-11
                    Southern Illinois 8-9
                    Evansville 7-14

Teams Eliminated from the tournament: UNI and Bradley

Final Conference Series
                    SIU @ Evansville
                    Indiana State @ Missouri State
                    Bradley @ UNI
                    Creighton @ Wichita State

It appears that the field is set with Indiana State, Missouri State, Creighton, Wichita State, Illinois State and SIU. The only way that will not happen is if Evansville sweeps SIU. In that case Evansville would replace SIU in the tournament field.

Also, it looks like WSU can finish with no better than the #4 seed and no worse than the #6 seed. If the Shox can take two of three from Creighton we will be guaranteed the #4 seed.

Comment

I think we would get the 3 seed if we sweep CU. Our winning % would be a tad better if my calcuations are correct.

Not saying we are anywhere near about to sweep CU though.

Comment

That is true. I forgot that it goes by winning %. I was just looking at us being 3.5 games behind Creighton in the standings right now and figured that if we swept that we would still be .5 games behind, but our winning % would be 0.611 if we sweep and Creighton's would be 0.609.

Comment

T-Storms for Friday and Saturday. If things go per plan Wichita will get hit by monster EF-5 tornado and all games will be cancelled.

Comment

Yep

T-Storms for Friday and Saturday. If things go per plan Wichita will get hit by monster EF-5 tornado and all games will be cancelled.
                            I think you've hit upon something, SB. KC knew his 27-win prediction was doomed -- in fact, the weaseling had already begun -- so he invoked the mighty Jobu to shorten the season by following the Shocks around with catastrophic weather, thus improving his chances.

No doubt the plague of locusts is right around the corner.
                            :(

Comment

Working...
                            X