Gold up 2-0 in the series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold up 2-0 in the series

Black outhit the Gold in this game 13-12 but stranded 13 baserunners. Wasted were outstanding performances by Andy Dirks and Josh Workman who each went 3-for-4 with a walk, with home runs to dead center field.

That Gold should be up 2-0 in this series should come as no surprise:
    • Tyler Weber - C
    • Clint McKeever - 1B
    • Kyle Sysney - 2B
    • Dustin Coleman - SS
    • Conor Gillaspie - 3B
    • Tyler Hill - LF
    • Ryan Jones - CF
    • Kevin Hall - RF

There's your starting position players with the exception of Andy Dirks, who was on the Gold squad but was traded to the Black squad because he has a sore shoulder and can't throw. Josh is on the Black squad so he can play second base.

Let's compare this lineup with the Black squad:
    • Cody Lassley - C
    • Ryan Engrav - 1B
    • Josh Workman - 2B
    • Taylor Brown - SS
    • Grant Muncrief - 3B
    • Andy Dirks - LF
    • Kenny Williams - CF
    • Mitch Caster - RF

No insult intended to anyone on the Black squad, but this is the A team against the B team.

• The only real surprise for me in seeing the 2008 team for the first time is just how good Kyle Sisney is at second base. In fact I have never seen Kyle play, as he was still rehabbing his knee last fall and redshirted last spring. To be fair, I have only seen him field a couple of balls, but one of them was a heck of a play where he ranged far to his left to field a ball on the outfield grass and made a quick and accurate throw to first. I'm told he made an outstanding diving catch on a ball in game 1. At the plate, Kyle is a switch-hitting GNAT. My bold prediction: Kyle will start at second and hit in the 9-hole as a secondary leadoff hitter.
    • My second bold prediction: Clint McKeever will start at first base and hit somewhere in the lower middle of the lineup (4-7). He handled himself well at first base and showed good patience and quick hands at the plate.
    • Cameron Maldenado, freshman RHP from Canon City Colorado acquitted himself well on the mound: 6.0 innings, 4 hits, 1 walk, 3 K's. 49 of his 82 pitches were strikes. He will contribute in the spring, possibly as a #4 or #5 starter.
    • Kevin Hall, freshman outfielder from Springfield IL, looked good in right field, although he did overrun one ball and allowed the runners to advance another base. He's fast and has a good arm. He's a guy who will get some opportunities in the spring if we have any injuries in the outfield.
    • Grant Muncrief looked good at third base. Good glove, good arm. He made a difficult play look easy on a ball that was ripped down the third base line. The ball hit the dirt pit area but he stayed down on it and made a strong and accurate throw to first.
    • Clint McKeever and Dustin Coleman both had their moments on the mound. Clint got the win and Dusty the save.
    • Tyler Weber's home run to left field was a tape-measure shot. Andy Dirks quipped after the game that he gave it a "courtesy jog". This is the second game in a row that he has homered.
    • Of the new hitters, 8 of 8 are right-handed hitters. Not a single left-handed hitter in the bunch.
    • Sunday is Scout Day. Game time is 7:00 but the guys will be on the field at 4:30 showing off their arms and legs for the scouts.

Comment

I have to say there is one more on the black squad that will be a starter. I think Kenny Williams will end up starting in CF. His speed and defense will get him in the lineup, and Jones hasn't really shown me anything yet in center.

Redshirt canidates = Mitch Caster, Kevin Hall, Robert Rios, Ryan Engrav.

Did I miss anyone?

Comment

im actually getting ready to head out there pretty soon.

Ive been looking forward to this all week

Comment

I have to say there is one more on the black squad that will be a starter. I think Kenny Williams will end up starting in CF. His speed and defense will get him in the lineup, and Jones hasn't really shown me anything yet in center.
          What would you like to see? Williams has hit less than .200 for the fall, and by the way his 60 time is less than Workman and Jones who was clocked with the 2nd fastest on the team. Jones made a real nice catch in right center from Dirks the first WS game and made it look pretty routine. Williams may make the outfield, but it I doubt it will be Jones left out, IMO. He has looked too good this fall. I guess we'll see.

Comment

Kenny was sick and did not play Sunday night (game 3) but he did play center field Friday night. It's not Kenny's defense that concerns me, but the way he's swinging the bat. He's not better defensively than several other guys, so if he's in the lineup it will have to be on the basis of his bat.

Comment

Originally posted by ddog44
              What would you like to see? Williams has hit less than .200 for the fall, and by the way his 60 time is less than Workman and Jones who was clocked with the 2nd fastest on the team. Jones made a real nice catch in right center from Dirks the first WS game and made it look pretty routine. Williams may make the outfield, but it I doubt it will be Jones left out, IMO. He has looked too good this fall. I guess we'll see.
              I haven't seen too much from Jones that really impressed me. His defense has been average and he has not shown much at the plate as of yet. Jones might have run the secod fastest 60 times, but playing center is more about your first step and the read on the ball and so far Williams has shown to have better instincts. Also Williams is a switch hitter which and that might give him a little edge.

I hope Jones bevomces the player that he is predicted to be, but he needs to get the bat going.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker22
                I haven't seen too much from Jones that really impressed me. His defense has been average and he has not shown much at the plate as of yet. Jones might have run the secod fastest 60 times, but playing center is more about your first step and the read on the ball and so far Williams has shown to have better instincts. Also Williams is a switch hitter which and that might give him a little edge.

I hope Jones bevomces the player that he is predicted to be, but he needs to get the bat going.
                Originally posted by longlimbs22
                Workman is hitting .568 in 37 fall at-bats. Conor hitting .463 with 2 hr in 41 AB. Dirks, Lassley and Hill all over .400 and all with at least 37 fall at-bats. Kyle Sisney, interestingly, is hitting .373 with 1 HR and 9 RBI.

Coleman .359, Jones .333 (2 HR 12 RBI). McKeever 6 innings pitched.
                This was prior to the start of the series. In two games Ryan is 3-for-9.

A good friend of mine, who's opinion I respect, told me a week ago that he thought Ryan might be the most improved player.

What is Kenny's batting average this fall?

Comment

Working...
                X