Gold Takes Game 1 of FWS 10-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold Takes Game 1 of FWS 10-1

Tyler Weber and Conor Gillaspie making an early statement in the FWS with big offensive games.

WICHITA, Kan. ? Conor Gillaspie went 4-for-4 and Tyler Weber drove in four as the Gold defeated the Black 10-1 in game one of the 2007 Shocker Fall World Series.

Tim Kelley, Logan Hoch and Justin Kemp combine for on a 2-hitter.

I thought Tim Kelley looked like an interesting prospect when I saw him in last years FWS.

I didn't make the game tonight but Tim pitched a very solid 6 innings giving up only 2 hits and 1 earned run.

Did anyone make it out to tonight's game?

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

Here is the link to the box score if interested:

Nice to see Ryan Jones with a couple of hits.

On the negative side, Tyson Fugett gave up 5 runs in his one inning of work in the 8th.

The big blows a 2-run single by Conor and a 3-run homer by T-Web.

Comment

Thanks for the report.

According to the box score Clint walked three times? Good eye or they just didn't want to throw to him?

54 of Tim Kelley's 83 pitches were for strikes and yet he allowed just 2 hits. Pretty nifty.

Comment

Re: Gold Takes Game 1 of FWS 10-1

Originally posted by 1972Shocker
        Tyler Weber and Conor Gillaspie making an early statement in the FWS with big offensive games.

WICHITA, Kan. ? Conor Gillaspie went 4-for-4 and Tyler Weber drove in four as the Gold defeated the Black 10-1 in game one of the 2007 Shocker Fall World Series.

Tim Kelley, Logan Hoch and Justin Kemp combine for on a 2-hitter.

I thought Tim Kelley looked like an interesting prospect when I saw him in last years FWS.

I didn't make the game tonight but Tim pitched a very solid 6 innings giving up only 2 hits and 1 earned run.

Did anyone make it out to tonight's game?

:posterwu: :goshocks: :posterwsu:

I made it out. A nice evening for baseball.

A crowd of several hundred showed up.

Tim Kelley looked good on the mound. Conor looked great. I think he ended up 4 for 4 with a walk. Kyle Sisney made a fantastic diving catch. Of the freshman, #18 Kevin Hall looks very fast. He was playing right field and almost caught a ball that looked like a base hit in the gap from the get-go. He also beat out a throw to first on a ball he hit up the middle that Harrison Dreiling made a great play on (most other players would have been out on Harrison's throw).

Capra kept things entertaining. At one point he threw an empty gas can on to the field when Tyson Fugett was pitching.

Max Hutson and company did a great job in the PA booth. They selected a wide variety of songs for the players, some of them very amusing.

It is too late and I am too tired to report anything else. (The Golden Girls did run a nice concession stand with reasonable prices). :wsu_posters:

Comment

Re: Gold Takes Game 1 of FWS 10-1

Originally posted by shocker3
          Conor looked great.
          I thought it was funny when the catcher was calling for the intentional walk of Conor, the pitcher refused and pitched to him. Conor then singled hard to RF.

Comment

Yep, both Conor and Weber looked great in this game.

Conor 4-4 2 2B 1 BB 3 RBI 1 SB
            Weber 3-5 2 2B 1 HR 4 RBI

McKeever had a good game as well. As mentioned, he had three walks. In the 9th inning, he hit a blast to left-center, which I thought was out of the park, but it ended up hitting off the wall on the fly, for a double (hopefully a sign of things to come for him). He scored two runs as well.

As mentioned, Sisney made a great catch at second base. He had to range to his left, into shallow right field, it was an all out dive, and he made a great catch. He also scored a couple of runs.

The pitchers, for the gold squad, looked impressive. Tim Kelley had an impressive outing, showing good comand. I thought Logan Hoch looked good, striking out four batters in two innings of work.

Not a whole lot of positives for the black squad. I thought Fleming pitched ok, giving up 4 earned in 5.1 IP, especially considering he was going up against the tougher lineup (but he'll have to face that type of lineup when the reg season comes around). They only got two hits, but one of which, was a triple (scored on the throwing error) by Lassley. Fugett obviously struggled, giving up 5 runs in his only inning of work. Matt Smith pitched the 9th inning and gave up a couple hits and a run.

One thing that I took away from this game was that there were a lot of antzy hitters. There were a lot of first pitch swings that were put into play. I just chalk that up to a lot of guys wanting to impress the coaches, not showing the patience necessary. But I'm sure that'll get better. And yes, Cappy kept the crowd entertained throughout.

Saw some good things from our team, but obviously we still have room for improvement. Looking forward to the next game on Friday. Hope to see you out there.

Comment

Is Tyson retaining his scollie? ...

Comment

Is Tyson retaining his scollie? ...
                It seems as if Fugit has really lost some velocity. His mechanics looked poor as he was shortarming his throws. Because he has lost that velocity, he was working alot of off speed and the gold team just sat back every pitch and waiting for one they could tattoo which they did. He will really need to get back some of his swagger from last year if he wants to make a difference for this team.

I thought that Tim Kelly and Logan Hoch looked great last night. Tyler Fleming overall pitched pretty well.

Dirks has something wrong with his throwing arm, so he was deligated to dh for the black squad, hope it is nothing serious. He hit a couple of nice balls that the gold squad made some nice plays on.

I don't know if the ball was just carrying well last night, or if it was just the young pitching staff, but this team seems to have some real pop in it. The outfield plays very deep and some balls were hit last night that I believe would have been extra bases if the outfield were playing at normal depths. Jones led off the game with a ball to deep center against a pretty strong wind I thought was gone that Kenny Williams made a very nice play on against the fence. McKeever hit one I thought was gone for sure that hit off the wall, Coleman had a nice ball to left center that was caught, Dirks to right center that was long. I just have a good feeling this team may have some real nice pop in the lineup.

Gillespie was tremendous. He has been locked in the whole fall, he has to be considered a preseason all american in my book.

Tyler Weber hit ever ball hard!!

I initially thought these teams were pretty even, but after the first game, the gold squad seems to have just a little more offense. Without the starting pitching studs playing, it may be hard on the black crew.

Was a beautiful night last night and an impressive crowd out to watch at the Eck.

Comment

Dont get to excited guys. yeah everyone looks impressive but there is a reason for it. I'm pretty sure the pitchers are restricted to pretty much just fast balls so as not to hurt themselves or tear up their arms. This also allows brent to have them work on spotting their pitches. brent is a big believer that a spotted fastball is hands down the best pitch that can be thrown. Not to take anything away from these guys at the plate but its a lot easier when you know what your getting and its a fastball to boot. guys like conor are naturally gonna rape the pitching when thats the case. Just saying is all not trying to steal anyones thunder... but it something to consider anyways.

Comment

With all due respect t7017s, the teams scored 10 and 1 runs respectivly. One team was hitting and the other team was struggling. One team was pitching well and the other team was struggling. This series is very competitive and they are trying to beat each other.

These pitchers weren't throwing BP to their teammates. They are trying to impress also and make the weekend rotation. Some haven't even made the team and would be trying to throw the game of their lives.

It sounded like Conner and TWebb were crushing. I'm sure that the rest of the team will follow suit.

I AM EXCITED

GO SHOCKS :clap:

Comment

Originally posted by moshock
                      With all due respect t7017s, the teams scored 10 and 1 runs respectivly. One team was hitting and the other team was struggling. One team was pitching well and the other team was struggling. This series is very competitive and they are trying to beat each other.

These pitchers weren't throwing BP to their teammates. They are trying to impress also and make the weekend rotation. Some haven't even made the team and would be trying to throw the game of their lives.

It sounded like Conner and TWebb were crushing. I'm sure that the rest of the team will follow suit.

I AM EXCITED

GO SHOCKS :clap:
                      No disrespect taken. I totally agree with you. I was just pointing out that a lot of the pitching is limited by the coaches. Guys like conor are going to have a hayday with nothing but fastballs. I wasnt trying to knock anyone in any degree. I'm aware some are trying to make the cut and everyone witha few exceptions are trying to impress and earn some time on the field. My point was not to get super excited about conor going 4/4 and the like...not to take away from the pitchers or anyone competing for time or position. As usual I think what i meant to say may have come across wrong as I'm not the best at saying what I mean. In no way was i trying to communicate that this wasnt competitive. It sure as hell is and its veru much so especially for the guys trying to make an impression or make the cut. So anyways no disrespect taken or meant.

Comment

In years past the pitchers have been restricted some during the intrasquads - there is typically a week where they can throw only fastballs and change-ups - but under no restrictions in the series. I think what you see is what you get. As far as the players are concerned, this is for real. Guys that don't distinguish themselves in the fall will be buried to start the spring.

That's what I have observed in years past anyway.

Comment

its true what Hays is saying. the coaches use the fall to see who can and cant play because there is not much time in the spring where the guys can practice and show off what they can do especially when winters are as harsh as they sometimes are in Wichita! :) I will be darned if Clint Mckeever isn't an everyday guy hitting somewhere in the middle of the lineup playing first base! I hope Conor hits .500 this year and goes in the first round and I hope T Web makes scouts pay for not taking him in the draft last year! This could be an exciting team to watch, I just hope its not another version of young and dumb. :roll:

Comment

Working...
                          X