Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kawwsu77
    Maybe someone can answer me on this.
    According to some posters on the Rockies message board if the catcher does not have the ball he can not block the plate. Thus the reason the safe call was made because the catcher dropped the ball.
    Is this correct?
    kawwsu77
    Wrong. The catcher had every right to be in the basepath on that play because the ball was coming his direction.

The player was called safe because the umpire believed he touched the plate.

On another note: I agree with Charlie. Even with instant replay, that play would not have been overturned. I've seen the replay several times now, and still would not have conclusive evidence to over-rule the play.

Comment

Go Rockies!!!!
      Well, not to make you jealous, but I just happen to be heading to Denver this weekend to catch the Broncos/Chargers game so I have also picked up tickets to the Rockies/Phillies games. GO PHILLIES!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771
        Go Rockies!!!!
        Well, not to make you jealous, but I just happen to be heading to Denver this weekend to catch the Broncos/Chargers game so I have also picked up tickets to the Rockies/Phillies games. GO PHILLIES!!!!!!

771...think I'll (& Proshox) be at the game Saturday. We will have to get together. Are you staying downtown?

Comment

Lucky Sobs,
          If I had any money I would go this weekend but I don't. Have fun at probally the most beautiful ballpark in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
            According to some posters on the Rockies message board if the catcher does not have the ball he can not block the plate. Thus the reason the safe call was made because the catcher dropped the ball.
            Is this correct?
            kawwsu77
            Wrong. The catcher had every right to be in the basepath on that play because the ball was coming his direction.

On another note: I agree with Charlie. Even with instant replay, that play would not have been overturned. I've seen the replay several times now, and still would not have conclusive evidence to over-rule the play.
            There may not have been enough evidence to overrule the call, but judging from Matt Holliday in a post-game interview, he knows he didn't touch it.

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock
              There may not have been enough evidence to overrule the call, but judging from Matt Holliday in a post-game interview, he knows he didn't touch it.
              I didn't see that interview, only the one right after the game where they asked if he touched the plate and he said he didn't know. He knows he got his hand stepped on and got a mouthful of dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by vbird53
                Is this correct?
                kawwsu77

Official Baseball Rule 7.06(b) The catcher, without the ball in his possession, has no right to block the pathway of the runner attempting to score. The base line belongs to the runner and the catcher should be there only when he is fielding a ball or when he already has the ball in his hand.
                I don't think he does, and since the ball was dropped, he was no longer fielding and the call is correct.

By the way 1 down 10 to go for the Rocks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by haysdb
                  Originally posted by AndShock
                  I didn't see that interview, only the one right after the game where they asked if he touched the plate and he said he didn't know. He knows he got his hand stepped on and got a mouthful of dirt.
                  "I was called safe, so I'll assume I did."

It didn't look he like he had his hand stepped on, it looked like he slid into it, which is was what made him miss the plate. I figured if he knew he touched the plate he would've said yes, and if he didn't he wouldn't say he didn't.

Comment

I think the catcher would technically be ok for blocking the plated since it was in the process of attempting to field the ball.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                      I think the catcher would technically be ok for blocking the plated since it was in the process of attempting to field the ball.
                      That's what I was getting at in the previous post.

0-1 for the cubbies, but I have no doubt we'll come back.

Comment

Well we now know WSU will be represented in the Fall Classic once again by one of the A.L. teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Sitter
                          Well we now know WSU will be represented in the Fall Classic once again by one of the A.L. teams.
                          Absolutely. Congrats to the Injuns!

:posterwsu: :D :posterwsu:

Comment

Yep, and to the Sox. One way or another a former WSU catcher will be in the wolrd series and thats pretty cool.

Comment

Working...
                            X