Serrano to Fullerton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serrano to Fullerton

CBS Sports features live scoring, news, stats, and player info for NFL football, MLB baseball, NBA basketball, NHL hockey, college basketball and football.

Vanderhook of Fullerton and Rod Delmonico, the former Tenn coach, are being mentioned as candidates for the UCI job.

Comment

Hi Charlie. I have a question. Someday Gene is going to retire; I hope this day is far off. When that time arrives, what is your opinion of the quality of candidates who will be interested in the WSU job? Coaches who, like Gene, already have a national championship? Up and coming young coaches? As an outsider, your opinion would be interesting to hear.
      Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
      Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Could you say Bret Kemnitz and forgot anyone else

Comment

I love BK. I just wanted an outsider's opinion. (If BK wanted to be HC, I'm all for it. He seems to be happy producing first round draft choices every year or two.)
          Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
          Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

How old is Gene? I don't think he'll retire for quite a while. Hard to predict what college baseball will be like then.

If you were hiring tomorrow...I can't imagine you getting somebody with a ring, because there are only a handful out there. Could you get a head coach from a major school? I doubt it, since now everybody is putting money into this sport.

Comment

When Stephenson went to Oklahoma
              What was up with Kemitz going with him, that always made me think. Was JS not even planning on considering him for a job, or was he not wanting it?

Comment

Originally posted by RHshoxfan
                What was up with Kemitz going with him, that always made me think. Was JS not even planning on considering him for a job, or was he not wanting it?
                As somebody with absolutely no clue what actually happened, my guess and opinion based on no facts whatsoever, is that the OU thing went down so quickly that it is unlikely that BK and JS had time to have any discussions and that BK said "yes" to Gene because that was essentially status quo to him...he was just married and did not want to be out of a job.
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Originally posted by im4wsu
                  Originally posted by RHshoxfan
                  As somebody with absolutely no clue what actually happened, my guess and opinion based on no facts whatsoever, is that the OU thing went down so quickly that it is unlikely that BK and JS had time to have any discussions and that BK said "yes" to Gene because that was essentially status quo to him...he was just married and did not want to be out of a job.
                  There also may be a simple element of loyalty at stake. So long as Gene is coaching, I think Brett will likely stay his assistant (wherever he is). If Gene was retired rather than taking another job, that could change the situation.
                  "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Gene won't retire for another decade. The ol' Soggy Burrito is 68 and doesn't look to be slowing down. It is my opinion that at 61, Gene's at least got another good 10 years in him and he'll hang on to not only reach 2,000 career wins, but will want to obliterate ol' Soggy's total wins record.

Comment

There have been reports/rumors that BK has applied for jobs around in the area. IIRC he even professed that he was interested in the OU job, but OU didn't really have an interest in him as HC.

BK has a big problem of trying to get HC job outside of WSU - his name is Ben Christenson.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock

BK has a big problem of trying to get HC job outside of WSU - his name is Ben Christenson.

Do you think that's even that much of a big deal anymore? Or schools are just worried if they hired BK, the media would dig it up and throw it in their face? Outside of this board and the occasional smack on Valleytalk, I never see anybody talking about that. Not at games I go to, not on college baseball boards...

Comment

I hear about it all the time. I have friend's from the same town has Molina, plus some that just follow Valley ball and when I bring WSU baseball they make fun of us being poor sports and all.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieHog
                            Originally posted by SB Shock

Do you think that's even that much of a big deal anymore? Or schools are just worried if they hired BK, the media would dig it up and throw it in their face? Outside of this board and the occasional smack on Valleytalk, I never see anybody talking about that. Not at games I go to, not on college baseball boards...
                            My bet is that schools are worried about the negative publicity that would come about it his hiring. He has to many media quotes (even though they were taken out of context) that would bring alot of angst.

My guess is the WSU job would be his for the taking in 10-15 years when Gene retires (unless Augie never retires).

Comment

Working...
                            X