Baseball to Use Replay Review on Homers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball to Use Replay Review on Homers

It looks like Major League Baseball will start using the instant replay, but only for home runs.

There may not ever be another Jeffrey Maier moment at a major league game. Now that Major League Baseball has added instant replay on home runs calls, something like Maier’s deflecting a ball over the fence during the 1996 playoffs at Yankee Stadium would be reversed by the umpires.

more...

Once you start down the path on this slippery slope...

Comment

Progress

Originally posted by SB Shock
      ...you start getting calls right that in the past your umpires have missed.

Comment

Re: Progress

Originally posted by WSUwatcher
        ...you start getting calls right that in the past your umpires have missed.
        If they ever use replay for the double play turn at second base the game will totally change...like if they ever call traveling in the NBA!
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

they do call traveling in the NBA

Comment

Finally... a way to make baseball games longer. My wife will be very pleased. :roll:
            Spoiler Alert: Bruce Willis was dead the whole time!

Comment

I don't like it. Baseball has always been a game of good and bad calls. It's almost as if bad calls and personal umpire zones are part of the game. If you start replays for one thing I think you open up a can of worms and it gets used for things it shoulden't and the game gets longer in which nothing good comes from that. :whistle:

Comment

Exactly the same arguments people had against using it in football, it will make the game longer, and bad officiating is part of the game.

IMO replay has made both college and pro football better.

Comment

I don't understand how it will make it longer. Usually on a disputed home run call, the managers run out and talk (yell) to the umpire that made the call. This carries on for a while, then they resume the game.

Now it will be disputed call, throw your hanky, umpire makes decision, then resume the game.

Comment

Originally posted by AG1219
                    I don't understand how it will make it longer. Usually on a disputed home run call, the managers run out and talk (yell) to the umpire that made the call. This carries on for a while, then they resume the game.

Now it will be disputed call, throw your hanky, umpire makes decision, then resume the game.
                    They should start using a automated the strike zone like they have on TV. Just have the computer put up on the scoreboard as STRIKE or BALL.

Comment

Originally posted by AG1219

They should start using a automated the strike zone like they have on TV. Just have the computer put up on the scoreboard as STRIKE or BALL.
                      This is the truth. Talking about "good calls and bad calls" being part of the game makes my head hurt. Get the call right, end of story.

What they need is an ump off the field that gets access to all the video. If the TV cameras don't give the best angles, install more cameras (I think the MLB can afford that). This ump is part of the rotation for the team and gets to talk to the home plate ump. Close calls on the bases could be radioed back VERY quickly.

The right call is made.

The game keeps going.

Everyone is happy.

Comment

Working...
                      X