Pelfrey wins 10th (was 9th)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pelfrey wins 10th (was 9th)

Mike pitched like an ace against the Cardinals tonight. Mets 7 - STL 2.
    • 7 innings
    • 1 run on 7 hits, all singles
    • 69 of 103 pitches strikes (67%)
    • 93-94 MPH all night. Touched 95 in the 7th.
    • Strike 1. Worked ahead.
    • 5 strikeouts
    • No walks. I only remember one 3-ball count, although there might have been others.
    • Around the plate. Only a handful of pitches more than a couple of inches out of the strike zone
    • Struck out Pujols twice
    • 95% fastballs. Showed his curve but threw it for a strike only once. Threw one change-up.
    • 7-0 in his last 11 starts

Accolades from everybody. Including Tony LaRussa.
    Expert recap and game analysis of the New York Mets vs. St. Louis Cardinals MLB game from July 25, 2008 on ESPN.

Comment

When I first checked Pelfrey's stats this year he was 2-6 with an ERA in the mid-5's.

Since early June, Pelfrey has dropped his ERA from 4.65 to 3.67. In the last 30 days, Pelfrey's ERA has been 2.41 In July, Perlfrey's ERA is 1.75.

Early in the season Pelfrey had some control problems. Was walking too many. Then probably throwing up easy pitches to hit to try not to walk batters. Pelfrey's season K/BB is approaching 2.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

From the above ESPN article:

Pitching more aggressively, Pelfrey has lasted at least seven innings in his last five starts. He's walked only one batter over the past four.
        Mike has definitely figure it out over the last couple of months.

:clap:

Comment

excerpt from New York Times

In past years, Pelfrey’s name has surfaced as a trade chip, but the Mets resisted each time because they believed he would develop into the pitcher they trust he has become. On Friday night he scattered seven hits while striking out five and not walking a batter. He gave up one run, but that came in the sixth, when the Mets were already leading, 6-0, having pummeled Cardinals starter Mitchell Boggs for the second time in less than a month. They scored 10 runs off him in St. Louis on July 3.

“We knew he was going to make the transition, we knew he would make some adjustments, but I don’t think anybody thought it would be this quick,” said Brian Schneider, Pelfrey’s catcher Friday night.

Pelfrey’s has improved the command of his fastball, particularly down in the strike zone, and he has integrated a curveball into his repertory again. That came at the recommendation of Dan Warthen, who succeeded Rick Peterson as the Mets’ pitching coach on June 17, and Pelfrey recalled exactly why he stopped throwing it. During a bullpen session in September 2006, Pelfrey failed to throw a strike in 19 out of 20 pitches. Afterward, he said, Peterson told him never to throw the pitch again.

“That’s reassuring, huh?” Pelfrey said.

He was laughing as he said that, and why not? He has resumed throwing the curveball for strikes. More pointedly, it used to be that Pelfrey would never win. Now, like his team, he never seems to lose.The Mets have not lost in Pelfrey’s last nine starts, since June 5 in San Diego, during which he is 7-0 with a 2.67 earned run average.

“When I go out there, I feel like we’re going to win,” Pelfrey said.

His manager was more to the point.

“When you have good starting pitching,” Manuel said, “you feel you have a chance every time to win the game.”

Comment

That is amazing that he has been able to go on this streak throwing pretty much fastballs. You'd figure he's bound to get hammered one of these days.

Comment

A couple of games ago he gave up 3 HR's but they were all solo shots. That game Mike got some run support and good relief. It was due him because earlier he had a couple of no decisions after pitching very well.

I'm really enjoying watching this play out.

Comment

There are more than one type of fastballs (2 seam, 4 seam, cut, etc.) and if that is combined with location, location, location KC Shox' statement is _______ (you fill in the blank) wrong. If you mix those pitches with off speed pitches and an occasional curve ball, you have a recipe for success. Good pitching is not that difficult to understand. Now if you mix a game where the fast ball is up at waste level and over the middle of the plate, the fast ball doesn't move, pitches aren't mixed up, strikes are hard to come by, and the off speed pitch can't be thrown for a strike, bad things happen.

Comment

shockmonster,

Could you teach those to my 14-year-old son? Seriously. It doesn't hurt to ask. :)
                  "She is only HALF a mother who does not see HER child in EVERY child." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster
                    There are more than one type of fastballs (2 seam, 4 seam, cut, etc.) and if that is combined with location, location, location KC Shox' statement is _______ (you fill in the blank) wrong. If you mix those pitches with off speed pitches and an occasional curve ball, you have a recipe for success. Good pitching is not that difficult to understand. Now if you mix a game where the fast ball is up at waste level and over the middle of the plate, the fast ball doesn't move, pitches aren't mixed up, strikes are hard to come by, and the off speed pitch can't be thrown for a strike, bad things happen.
                    This should win the award for best pun of the year!

waste: adjective: located in a dismal or remote area; desolate

waist: noun: the narrowing of the body between the ribs and hips
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Pelfrey is pitching against the padres right now.
                      tied 1-1. in the 5th.
                      veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Better change the title to 10th

Comment

Mike pitched 7 shutout innings tonight against Pittsburg. 2-0 Mets in the bottom of the 8th.

Comment

Shame about those early "losses" or else he could be in the Cy talk.

Comment

Working...
                            X