Chance Sossamon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chance Sossamon

Interestingly, the article above that shockandawe cited elsewhere says that, "(Sossamon's coach) Mayes singled out Sossamon, relentless at the plate and on the bases in the closing games, for improved leadership."

He may have been relentless at the plate and on the bases, but the Shocks signed him as a pitcher. With all the newcomers trying to fill positions next year, I wonder if some of the pitchers who are all-around players (Sossamon, Muncrief, and Jordan Cooper come to mind) might end up getting a look as position players, too, especially if they stand out offensively or defensively. WSU seems to be doing more of that these days than in the past, when Darren Dreifort (for example) had to wait until his junior season to get regular at bats -- and become national player of the year once he did.

WSUwatcher,

That is interesting. Something else that caught my eye while browsing the Joplin Globe was a series of articles in the sports archives on another Shocker pitcher, Justin Kemp. He not only performed well at the plate, but also behind it in high school. I haven't REGULARLY seen those two positions (pitcher/catcher) interchanged in college or MLB, I assume because of the high risk of injury to catchers? Still, it's fun having players who are not one-dimensional. I find it kind of comforting and you never know when it's going to come in handy. I remember a Cubs game once where they had a boatload of extra innings and went through all of their pitchers until they were forced to bring in the shortstop (Dunston) to pitch. He hadn't pitched since high school, or before. Fun stuff. :lol:
    "She is only HALF a mother who does not see HER child in EVERY child." - Anonymous

Comment

Article said Sossamon had surgery on his left shoulder after High school baseball season and already playing summer ball? Right handed pitcher I looked it up that helps I guess.
      First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

Originally posted by shockandawe08
        WSUwatcher,

Justin Kemp. He not only performed well at the plate, but also behind it in high school. I haven't REGULARLY seen those two positions (pitcher/catcher) interchanged in college or MLB, I assume because of the high risk of injury to catchers?
        personally (because i am biased) i wouldnt say its due to injury, its just harder to find decent catchers. so the good ones never really get a chance to get out from behind the plate because they are needed more there.

Comment

lostshocker,

Good point. But, what if we have three really good catchers on the team (and we just might next year) who could also play other positions (like pitcher) and wield a mean bat? Wow. Wouldn't that be something?
          "She is only HALF a mother who does not see HER child in EVERY child." - Anonymous

Comment

i was speaking from a high school standpoint. where most schools dont have that luxury.

i cant remember the school the kid played for or the exact year, just know it was shortly after dreifort (sp?) moved on to the majors, but the kid was the starting catcher and closer. one of the few i have ever seen. it was neat watching him warm up between innings in his shin guards.

Comment

Working...
            X