Fresno State v Arizona State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fresno State v Arizona State

Kudos to ASU Coach Pat Murphy for having the fortitude to bring back PAC 10 pitcher of the year Mike Leak on 1 day's rest to try and win both games in the super regional.

Mike went 7.2 on Saturday (over 115 pitches by my count) for those not lucky enough to see the game.

Unfortunately for Pat, there is a God and the Bulldogs lit up Mike to the tune of 6 runs to take a 11-5 in the 7th inning of the deciding game. Mike threw more than 30 pitches in his inning + of work. Of course he was already warm as he was playing 3 other field positions today.

Pat, you've got big ones my friend. That decision to potentially ruin a kid's arm for the sake of getting to the CWS is a decision not everyone has the guts to make.

YOU THE MAN!

I just don't understand why coaches do that. It really boggles my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock

Win at all costs, baby. It becomes pretty easy to convince yourself that what you are doing is right.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
        Originally posted by rrshock

Win at all costs, baby. It becomes pretty easy to convince yourself that what you are doing is right.
        And then the team that drafted him gives the 'ol boy a call in the morning.

Comment

Oh, and did anyone see the video of the fight between their two first round draft picks before the game? Looked a little bit interesting.

Comment

Oh, missed that one. What exactly happened rr?

Comment

Oh, missed that one. What exactly happened rr?
              They just walked at each other and then one ended up on top of the other, I believe. The video just caught it through a bunch of Fresno St players. It was just a background shot when it was caught on tape. Teammates pulled them apart then everyone went to the clubhouse. They appeared to be talking in the later part of the game tonight though.

Comment

The easy winner of the 2008 Dave Van Horn award.

Fresno darn near blows it but holds on 12-9.
                Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

Congrats to Fresno State, it's the 1st time a #4 seed has advanced to Omaha. Also, that was a nice attempt by ASU to comeback in the 9th. There is no other person I would want up than Newman, who already hit 2 homeruns in the game.

Comment

Fresno State & Stanford are the only unranked teams in the CWS.

Comment

Re: Fresno State v Arizona State

Kudos to ASU Coach Pat Murphy for having the fortitude to bring back PAC 10 pitcher of the year Mike Leak on 1 day's rest to try and win both games in the super regional.

Mike went 7.2 on Saturday (over 115 pitches by my count) for those not lucky enough to see the game.

Unfortunately for Pat, there is a God and the Bulldogs lit up Mike to the tune of 6 runs to take a 11-5 in the 7th inning of the deciding game. Mike threw more than 30 pitches in his inning + of work. Of course he was already warm as he was playing 3 other field positions today.

Pat, you've got big ones my friend. That decision to potentially ruin a kid's arm for the sake of getting to the CWS is a decision not everyone has the guts to make.

YOU THE MAN!
                      Fresno St.'s last pitcher went 3 2/3 innings on Sunday and came back to nearly blow it in the 9th.

I was wondering why Leak was so lackluster today. This was only my second game at ASU this year (Saturday was the other one). It didn't help that I got drunk and walked almost a mile to the ballpark.

Comment

Several news outlets are reporting that the fight between Davis and Wallace before the game was staged. I guess Coach Murphy has done things like this in the past to try and intimidate the other team and to loosen up his players. I can't imagine someone thinking that is a good idea. Anyway, it was an entertaining game and congrats to Fresno!

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771
                          Several news outlets are reporting that the fight between Davis and Wallace before the game was staged. I guess Coach Murphy has done things like this in the past to try and intimidate the other team and to loosen up his players. I can't imagine someone thinking that is a good idea. Anyway, it was an entertaining game and congrats to Fresno!
                          That would explain why it appeared they were joking on the field while a relief pitcher was warming up.

If this is indeed the case, then that coach is a moron. Let's go ahead and stage a fight. What if something would have really happened?

Comment

Murphy's been a whacko, all the way back to Notre Dame, but he wins.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771
                              Sounds like roid rage to me!
                              Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

Working...
                              X