Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shafer to the Cubs-question???

Hey Shocker Fans!!!

I must confess I do not follow Valley baseball at all. I know you guys are the top program though and I am a huge Chicago Cubs fan which brings me to my question.

What can you guys tell me about this Shafer kid they drafted at #65 yesterday? He must be a talented kid since that's a pretty high selection.

I was wondering if you guys could give me a scouting report on him. I think he's a lefty correct? What are his strengths, weaknesses etc? Do you think he'll sign quickly, starter, reliever etc.

Thanks and I hope all is well with my Shocker friends

:wsu_posters:

Watch the Shox vs. FSU on ESPN2 on Saturday, Shafer is pitching that game.

He's a righty. He came in as a hard-thrower, but his velocity is down a bit this season and he's pretty average velocity now. He's pretty crafty and uses a power curve and change-up very effectively.

Right now, I'd project him as a reliever at the MLB level, but if he can get his velocity back up to 92-94 and stay durable, he could start.

He's not a Hochever, Dreifort, Pelfrey talent, but he's a great kid from an incredibly strong family.

--'85.
    Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

He's a battler, tough, never gives in to hitters. Excellent at pitching backwards when he needs to with quality secondary pitches and good control within the zone with all 3. Understands how to control the inside part of the plate. Projects out to a 4th starter in my mind. Can't stress how tough he is. Plus, Plus make up. Fastball has more life this year than last, but he got abused in Mo his last season and probably never gotten his 18 year old life back.

Comment

Sounds solid and thanks for the tip on the game tomorrow. I will try to watch it. I hope he and the Shox get the W. I love guys with the make-up and the command. Gotta have it at the ML level.

Is this College World Series already or is it still the preliminary rounds to earn the right to the Series?

Do you guys see any issues with signability or will he sign pretty soon after the Shox season ends?

Comment

No problem with signability. He strikes me as the kind of kid that will take what he deserves. Solid kid from a rock solid family.

GORL, sweet 16 or super regional round. The winners of the best of 3 super regionals this weekend advance to Omaha next week. Feel free to do a little Normal dance for us, we can use all the love we can get.

Comment

From what I have heard with the new signing date and what I have heard of Aaron. He will sign but he might wait to try and get the best deal that he can. You can't fault him for that though.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
              No problem with signability. He strikes me as the kind of kid that will take what he deserves. Solid kid from a rock solid family.

GORL, sweet 16 or super regional round. The winners of the best of 3 super regionals this weekend advance to Omaha next week. Feel free to do a little Normal dance for us, we can use all the love we can get.
              Will always pull for the Valley teams and especially my adopted 2nd fav program, WSU. How do you guys match up with Florida St.?

I still want me a Shocker hat or T-shirt. I love the black and yellow colors.

Sounds like a good kid to have. I certainly don't blame him for getting the best deal he can get. He's earned that right in my opinion and I know i'd do the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Rick Lamb

Will always pull for the Valley teams and especially my adopted 2nd fav program, WSU. How do you guys match up with Florida St.?

Sounds like a good kid to have. I certainly don't blame him for getting the best deal he can get. He's earned that right in my opinion and I know i'd do the same thing.
                Basically it comes down to our strength (pitching) versus thier strength (hitting). It'll be an interesting matchup and I'm sure it'll be fun to watch. Wish I could use the sick excuse but we're still understaffed and I'd feel bad putting them in that situation.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                  Originally posted by Ghost of Rick Lamb

Basically it comes down to our strength (pitching) versus thier strength (hitting). It'll be an interesting matchup and I'm sure it'll be fun to watch. Wish I could use the sick excuse but we're still understaffed and I'd feel bad putting them in that situation.
                  I'm telling ya this thing isnt gonna be determined by pitching or hitting. I think whoever plays the best defense and makes the routine plays is gonna come out on top. Both defenses are shaky and I think thats being overlooked. The key is who can man up at crunch time and make the plays in the field.

Comment

I learned all I needed to about Shafer after being handed a tough loss by SIU in mid-season. SIU won that game 3-0, and if memory serves me right, none of the SIU runs were earned.

1. The Shocks didn't hit the ball well that day against the SIU pitcher, who threw a CG.
                    2. The Shocks didn't play well defensively behind Aaron.

During the post-game radio interview, Shafer could have very easily shifted the blame to the lack of run support, or poor defense.......but did he? Absolutely not. He was very humble and took the loss with the most class I've heard from a player in a long time around here - pitcher or position player.

I hope he takes the mound with the opportunity to get us to Omaha tomorrow afternoon. I can't think of anyone I'd rather hand the ball to.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                      Work was kind enough to p!ss me off this morning...so i took off the rest of the day to watch the shocks

Comment

Working...
                      X