• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU vs FSU (Strengths and Weaknesses)

HITTING - Advantage FSU

0.355 BA
    0.459 OBP
    0.572 SLG

What can you say, WSU in the hitting category doesn't match up with the impressive stats that FSU has put up.

It does look like FSU does hit in about twice as many DP's - but that could be because they have so many people on base all the time.

Team Speed - Advantage WSU

WSU has stolen 103 bases and is difficult to double up (except for Weber). Meanwhile FSU, as stated above does seem to hit into more DP's and has only been successful 64% in stealing (WSU is 84%).

Fielding - No Advantage

This is really hard to judge just looking at stats. One of WSU strengths is WSU OF, but since I have no idea about FSU outfield it's hard to give any advantage.

Both teams are fielding pct are less than stellar. FSU 0.960 and WSU 0.966.

FSU 3B has a 0.876 fielding pct, but Conor G. isn't much better at 0.881. FSU SS has committed 24 errors for 0.914. Dusty Coleman is slightly better with 17 error and 0.937 pct. Of course we have watched Dusty make some unbelievable plays, but then turn around and blow the routine.

So overall I would keep it neutral - but this is really an area that WSU needs to put as an advantage to help offset FSU hitting advantage.

CATCHER - FSU

Buster only thrown out 23 of 32 guys - that will help neutralize one of WSU strengths.

Starting Pitching - Slight WSU

Regardless whether you believe WSU pitching stats are inflated due to playing in the MVC, I think it's safe to say that MUSGRAVE-SHAFER-CAPRA trio are why WSU is where it is today.

FSU gives up more walk per game (4.1 compared to 2.6)
    WSU has a better K-BB ratio 3.4 vs 1.9
    Opponent Batting Average is about the same
    Both teams give up about the same amount of HR's

If WSU can get this to game 3, they get the advantage with Capra. If Capra is throwing 3 pitches for a strike, that might be all WSU needs to get back to Omaha. But if Capra only has command of his fastball - FSU may hit it to Omaha.

Relief Pitching - No Advantage

Neither team looks to have that shutdown closer. Ryan Strauss is probably their closest guy - based on conference play (9-1, 4 saves, 4.58 ERA), but he got lit up in conference play, but I could be reading their stat wrong

Question might be would WSU consider using Capra as a closer in this series? Scenario would be Musgrave wins game 1. Shafer pitches a great game but has run out of gas after 8, game is tied up 3-3 going to the 9th - do you bring in Capra or go with Hoch/Nanney/Fleming?

I would think that you could bring in Capra with a lead to get 1-3 outs and if something bad happens, still have him the next day for a few.

Situations like that are why I'm glad i'm not BK.

Comment

Re: WSU vs FSU (Strengths and Weaknesses)

Neither team looks to have that shutdown closer. Ryan Strauss is probably their closest guy - based on conference play (9-1, 4 saves, 4.58 ERA), but he got lit up in conference play, but I could be reading their stat wrong

Good breakdown. Just a FYI.. Buster Posey is also the closer. He has 6 saves in 8 appearances with a 0.00 ERA. He has worked 7.1 innings allowing 3 hits and striking out 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Nolefan23

Good breakdown. Just a FYI.. Buster Posey is also the closer. He has 6 saves in 8 appearances with a 0.00 ERA. He has worked 7.1 innings allowing 3 hits and striking out 10.
        Thats just not fair....I call shenanigans!!!!!!!

Kennedy hinted on the radio that McKeever might be a DH closer next year....that would be Driefort esque...
        1/16/2010 on the "Screw at the Q" HCGM... " Ive never seen a foul parade like that...If you would of let me know it was going to be a foul parade I would of brought a different team" .... "dont talk to me about fouls....Ive got to go back and look at some tape... I have some thoughts but I need to look at the tape and then I will have something very strong to say"

Comment

We just needa come out like Irvine did with us last year on the road and knock em in their teeth.

I don't think anyone gave Irvine a good chance last year. I don't think FSU fans are giving us a chance this year. Hopefully, we can surprise them like Irvine did to us.

Apparently, because we don't have the luxury of playing in the ACC, automatically means we have no chance with our pitchers only pitching against weak competition this year (yep... kinda like this past weekend.. weak competition.. )

Playing in the MVC has provided a 4-2 record against the 'best team in all of college baseball'. I guess we've just gotten lucky 4 out of those 6 meetings. The MVC also has hurt us that we have one more national championship than the mighty team from the ACC.

We suck. We're from the Valley. We might as well hand FSU the series now.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock
            HITTING - Advantage FSU

CATCHER - FSU

Buster only thrown out 23 of 32 guys - that will help neutralize one of WSU strengths.

[

One point of clarification, I'm pretty sure Posey has thrown out 23 of 55 guys. Still solid, but not quite a freakish 72%

Comment

Anyone know if Nanney is okay?

I figured him to be the guy that would get the call in the 7th Sunday. Tying run at first, no outs, throws a lot of ground balls with Mercer up. Is something wrong?

Comment

First of all SB!
                excellent research sir! thanks for that.

I think this could be a tough draw and i believe that while our pitching is great, Seminoles bats are also great, so i don't think we can just win this on mere pitching, we are gonna have to execute and score.
                Leaving runners on is something to watch out for.
                In the last two games fsu played, they scored a lot of runs really fast.
                So, Pitching is key as always but i think, we are gonna need stellar performances throughout the line up.

especially ryan jones. he needs to get that bat going!

I haven't done much research on FSU yet but those are just a few thoughts i've had.

Another thought is that, we have Tim Kelly and Clint Maune who have both pitched pretty well as Starters available in a 3 game series, I think that they could be an option out of the pen if we get in trouble.

I guess the one looming though ive had as i said up there, is that we gotta execute we cant just pitch our way, those bats are gonna make every mistake pay mostly, were gonna have to hit well throughout the line up.

Which we have been doing.... But yea i dunno just thought id chime in with a few thoughts i've had so far.

Hope everyone is having a good tuesday, and is staying whimsical about the fact were playing for the big time.

I'll say that wsu may just have the nations best most loyal college baseball fans, and that we sure do deserve a lil omaha!

Go Shox,

everones fav poster,
                just kiddin,

Drew
                "Coach Marshall,We will be at Creighton at least 15 hours in advance!"
                CGM--->"Hell yea, and we'll beat their ass."

Comment

But what kind of runners has FSU faced? Their catcher may be good, but WSU has excellent speed. That makes a big difference as well.

Comment

Just this weekend...with Tulane...I want to say that Tulane had stolen 96 bases this season. In the second inning of the first game we played against them...they sent Scelfo, their CF and leader in SB to second. Buster dropped him by a good 5 feet. Tulane never attempted another stolen base in the following game an a half.

uf had stolen 109 bases out of 131 attempts, and only attempted 1 steal. And I THINK only 3 in the 4 games we played this year.

Buster only started playing catcher last year as he was an All-American SS his frosh year. He has gotten better with each game. Towards the latter part of this season he has gotten downright deadly with his pickoffs and throws down to second. Hardly any of the teams we have faced have even attemped to steal on him anymore. Even with short lead offs, Buster has also picked off 7 baserunners this season between 1st and 3rd. He isnt afraid to throw it down the line.

Comment

Originally posted by SaturdaysAtDoak
                      Just this weekend...with Tulane...I want to say that Tulane had stolen 96 bases this season. In the second inning of the first game we played against them...they sent Scelfo, their CF and leader in SB to second. Buster dropped him by a good 5 feet. Tulane never attempted another stolen base in the following game an a half.

uf had stolen 109 bases out of 131 attempts, and only attempted 1 steal. And I THINK only 3 in the 4 games we played this year.

Buster only started playing catcher last year as he was an All-American SS his frosh year. He has gotten better with each game. Towards the latter part of this season he has gotten downright deadly with his pickoffs and throws down to second. Hardly any of the teams we have faced have even attemped to steal on him anymore. Even with short lead offs, Buster has also picked off 7 baserunners this season between 1st and 3rd. He isnt afraid to throw it down the line.

It really has been crazy to read the progression of scouting reports over the last two months. His improvement behind the dish as well as the opinion of his power potential has increased exponentially it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales
                        Originally posted by SB Shock
                        HITTING - Advantage FSU

CATCHER - FSU

[

One point of clarification, I'm pretty sure Posey has thrown out 23 of 55 guys. Still solid, but not quite a freakish 72%
                        Yes, your right. I miss-read it as total attempts. Thanks for catching it.

In conference play opponents are at 61% - so WSU threat on the base paths may not be as nullified as I initially feared.

Comment

I promise you we are going to test his arm and frankly, you are going to steal more off the pitcher than the catcher anyway, so I suspect they do an excellent job of holding runners.

If he's that good, then so be it but if anyone other than Weber gets thrown out by "5 feet" then we've done a piss poor job of reading the situation.

Comment

Working...
                          X