Another GREAT season!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another GREAT season!!!

Here is a quote from today's Eagle for anyone who questions how hard it is to maintain the level of success WSU Baseball has had over the past 31 years.

"Two-time defending national champion Oregon State did not make the field."

Re: Another GREAT season!!!

Originally posted by shockfan89
    Here is a quote from today's Eagle for anyone who questions how hard it is to maintain the level of success WSU Baseball has had over the past 31 years.

When you play in the No. 2 conference, things are a little more tough.

Lets be honest, as long as WSU plays in the MVC (and I don't see this changing anytime soon), there is no reason why WSU shouldn't dominate and make the NCAA.

The MVC doesn't take baseball seriously and the products these schools are putting out are sub-par (except for that 1 or 2 teams that rise above and have their 1 or 2 good year before they fall off the map.

Comment

On the other hand, I believe it would be much easier to recruit players to WSU if they played in the Big XII, and thus the success would continue.
      Regardless, congratulations to the Shockers.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock

Lets be honest, as long as WSU plays in the MVC (and I don't see this changing anytime soon), there is no reason why WSU shouldn't dominate and make the NCAA.

The MVC doesn't take baseball seriously and the products these schools are putting out are sub-par (except for that 1 or 2 teams that rise above and have their 1 or 2 good year before they fall off the map.
        The point was making the tournament, not winning the conference. Even OU and Arkansas proved you can play in a top conference and finish near the bottom and still get in. Playing in the No. 2 conference you have to really suck not to make the field of 64!

Comment

It is another great season and it is far too easy to confuse expectations and results.

I for one, did not go into this season expecting an improvement on last season. I felt we lost too much to expect a super regional return. After the win streak, of course, talk of a return to Omaha became the focus.

It should resonate with many of us exactly how hard it is to succeed at the highest level.

You can be damned good, for a long time, and not get there.

I am appreciative of the way the program is run and with the continued success and I am looking forward to the opportunity to watch WSU compete for a national title.

I do think, however, that if we are going to look "big picture" that we need to see about leaving the MVC for baseball or at least exploring our options.

While going independent is "outside the box" I do not think that it should be totally dismissed either. A little food for thought.

Comment

The point was making the tournament, not winning the conference. Even OU and Arkansas proved you can play in a top conference and finish near the bottom and still get in. Playing in the No. 2 conference you have to really suck not to make the field of 64!

To be fair, we haven't beaten a team "better" than OU since April 2 and one "better" than Arkansas since March 16. Not sure that OU and Arkansas should establish the line we use to define suck.

Comment

Originally posted by 7hottamales

To be fair, we haven't beaten a team "better" than OU since April 2 and one "better" than Arkansas since March 16. Not sure that OU and Arkansas should establish the line we use to define suck.
              I'd submit that MSU is not notably worse, nor better, than UA or OU, and we seemed to do just fine against that club this past weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby

I'd submit that MSU is not notably worse, nor better, than UA or OU, and we seemed to do just fine against that club this past weekend.

Just going by the objective measurement tool we have available.

Comment

I think they left Oregon State out because the Beavers might keep UNC from the crown again. Oregon State is much better than Oklahoma; use google and look at the news reports and blog comments on Oregon State vs. Oklahoma.

Added: http://xkcd.com/428/ is a joke on blogs (and those who read them). ;-)
                  Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                  Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

If WSU were in a baseball BCS conference, I do think we would still be a top tier team, however, we would fluctuate every year in terms of where we would finish. If we were in the Big 12, I have no doubt we could finish first, but there would be seasons where we would finish 5th or 6th.

You are right, going to a stronger conference would result in recruitng better talent, but it would still not overcome the fact that half the other teams in the conference are just as talented as your are. Heck, even a lower tier team like K-State took 3 of 4 games from Top 10 ranked Ok State this year as well as beating us.

The competition in higher caliber leagues would certainly bring us down a notch. At least we are not like ORU, where their conference sucks so bad they win everything.

Comment

Over the last 30 years, WSU has faired well against the Big 12... I think we're somewhere in the ballpark of 195-90 against current Big 12 members. It wouldn't be crazy to say we'd be at the top most years.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky Bobby

Just going by the objective measurement tool we have available.

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html
                        I'm not sure what you're trying to argue with this information, because if this were really a useful tool, then why was Clemson left out of the field (rpi 26) and OU and Arkansas made it into that field (rpi's 41 and 32 respectively)

Or maybe Clemson was just forgotten by the committee?

Comment

My only point is that to use OU and Arkansas as the point where "suck" begins totally belittles our accomplishments this season. OU and Arkansas don't suck. Clemson and Oregon State don't either.

Comment

The point is that the 2 time defending NATIONAL CHAMPION couldn't even make the field of 64 this year. It doesn't matter what conference you play in or where you finish, it is extremely difficult to maintain success over a 5 year period, much less a 30 year period.

The term really suck was not meant to belittle OU, Arkansas, Clemson or Oregon State and was meant based on conference records and performance. I should have chosen different wording because we all know those teams don't suck, the point was that in the SEC it is very possible to make the NCAA and not even finish in the top 8 in your conference and they are the 4th ranked conference in the country. For Oregon State to play in the 2nd toughest conference in the country and finish low enough to not even make the NCAA shows how easy it is to fall very fast. Hopefully that will help some of the people understand the reason for the thread.

Comment

Last year when the Beavers got the repeat as NC, before the tournament, some questioned if they should be in the tournament. This year the PAC was by far the toughest I can remember it ever being. There just weren't any "easy" games. I can't believe that OU got in and OSU didn't. As long as 75% of the press is in the east, I guess that just the way it is. It the price we pay in the west for wide open spaces and less population. Loving the wide open spaces as much as I do, I guess I'll just have to live with the tradeoff.

Comment

Working...
                              X