Tournament Financial Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament Financial Question

In basketball, there is a financial windfall (which I totally disagree with btw) for making and advancing in the field of 64.

If I understand correctly, that money gets split up with the other MVC member institutions through a formula that, admittedly, I do not know.

My question is if there is some kind of monetary windfall for making and/or advancing in the NCAA tournament and if so, what happens to that money and how is it divided?

This will lead into, hopefully, a deeper discussion regarding our involvement in the MVC and how (and least I believe) that the conference comes to us with hat in hand far too often.

I have tried to find out some of this info online but have so far been unsuccessful.

The Mens basketball tournament is an obvious monetary windfall for the ncaa, the baseball tournament up to now is not anywhere in the same hemisphere.

If you are implying that the Shockers carry the revenue sharing load for the conference, I would say that is absurd. SIU and Creighton maybe, but Wsu not so much.
    THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Originally posted by William
      The Mens basketball tournament is an obvious monetary windfall for the ncaa, the baseball tournament up to now is not anywhere in the same hemisphere.

If you are implying that the Shockers carry the revenue sharing load for the conference, I would say that is absurd. SIU and Creighton maybe, but Wsu not so much.
      I assume you based your conclusion on CU's and SIU's success in post season NCAA Championship basketball play.

Comment

Doc,

I can't specifically answer your question, however I have heard or read that baseball is the the #3 revenue generating sport for the NCAA, behind football and basketball, obviously. Undoubtedly a distant 3rd.

Baseball is not as expensive due to scholarship limits and by and large baseball facilities are rather modest, requiring less staff and administration. Travel tends to be by bus and more regional.

As for the tournament, most regional sites, in my estimation, are run in the range of 70% - 80% of capacity, with the exception being in California, where regionals tend to draw poorly.

The CWS has been carried in its entirety by the ESPN networks for many years and is well supported in actual attendance. Ad and gate revenues should be sufficient to fund the whole thing, including all team expenses, I'd guess.

I really doubt there's much left to count, but I'd like to see the balance sheet some time.

Doug Elgin laid down the law a few years ago with MVC teams about scheduling in basketball and it seems to have worked. I've said for many years that the some guidelines for minimum expectations for other sports need to come from the league office. Some schools, particularly Evansville and Drake, just don't seem to be pulling their weight and that needs to change.

--'85.
        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
          Doug Elgin laid down the law a few years ago with MVC teams about scheduling in basketball and it seems to have worked. I've said for many years that the some guidelines for minimum expectations for other sports need to come from the league office. Some schools, particularly Evansville and Drake, just don't seem to be pulling their weight and that needs to change.

--'85.

This is one of the points that I eventually wanted to address but until we find out the answer to the revenue distribution question, it is a little moot.

Even SIU, which has performed at a high level for years, simply does not commit the money to it's programs and therefore the MVC at a level close to WSU and they have roughly 5-8k more students. Not that I found perfect numbers but I was able to locate a figure of around 17m for their budget compared to WSU 16m, HOWEVER, that figure includes football which certainly eats the lions share of the budget and, of course, is in no way related to the MVC. Before you even begin to count the private money sunk into facilities (superior in almost every way to practically every school) we outspend SIU by probably close to 1/3. Btw, I am in no way picking on SIU, they just happened to be the one school I came across first.

Comment

The NCAA takes almost all of the money from baseball regionals and super-regionals. I believe the NCAA takes 75% of all revenue, including concessions.
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Working...
            X