Host?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Host?

A week ago, I would have said that we had played ourselves out of a host site. Fortunately, a large number of other teams in positions similar to ours have done the same thing over the last eight days and I now believe we are back in contention.

Things we have going for us:

1) Last year's regional and super-regional's attendance and revenue figures were tremendous. With that factored in, I am sure we submitted one hell of a big bid.

2) An RPI that will wind up much higher than anticipated due to stumblings by others around us. We should wind up at right around 25, almost identical to last year.

3) A 6 game winning streak, 8-2 in the L10, and a dominant finish to the season. Most others in precarious positions are in them because they finished the year with very poor showings in their conference tournament.

Things working against us:

1) Geography. Oklahoma State will host for sure, Nebraska will host almost certainly, and Missouri may weasel out a hosting spot as well. They will never, ever award all four of us sites because we are just too close together and it makes travel too cumbersome for the teams that would be attending.

***(1a) Geography will be helped considerably if KSU can get the Big 12 Championship game and win. They can't be sent to a Big 12 site, and we would be by far the closest option. Go Kitties.

2) The MVC was certainly a joke this year, so far as RPI and out of conference performance is concerned. Embarrassingly, the committee may be inclined to give a team like Michigan a site ahead of us because the Big 10 was just as good. That, and the NCAA kind of has a mancrush on the Wolverines.

My biased projection (aren't they all?) is that we will host, but as a #2 seed. Coastal Carolina will get top billing, Oral Roberts will be #3, and an unusually tough 4 seed (La Lafayette if they win the Sun Belt or KSU if they win the Big 12) will round out the field.

Discuss, if you please.

I don't care who they send here, as long as they send three other teams here.

Comment

I think if we are in the same bracket as Oral Roberts, they will be seeded higher than us. I just have that feeling. When Oklahoma St. and Nebraska both lost their first games in the Big XII tournament, I thought maybe we would get lucky and get to host, especially if we ran through our conference tournament. We did fine until todays game, which was much more of a struggle than it should have been. At this point, I see it about 50-50.

Comment

Some relevant games for the rest of the evening:

OSU-Nebraska- Cowboys up big, 8-3 in the fifth. Good news for us, as OSU is already assured a host spot and it provides an opening for KSU to get into the championship game with a win tonight over Baylor.

Marshall-Southern Miss- Marshall leads 4-2 in the 4th. USM is a bubble host team from CUSA, Marshall needs to beat them twice to keep USM out of the championship round tomorrow. Go Herd.

Pepperdine-San Diego- USD is highly ranked, but a piss poor RPI (38 ) and an AWFUL showing at a home regional last year makes them an unlikely host. However, the more losses the better. USD won game this afternoon in the best of 3 championship series, but trails 4-3 in the 3rd of game two.

Stanford-Washington- Palo Alto is a top candidate for a bubble western host site, so root on the Balto's from the Evergreen state. Stanford won game one, and leads 5-4 in the 8th of game two.

UC Irvine-UCSB- Irvine's poor conference performance has negated their strong RPI and ranking. A split of the last 2 games this weekend will put them around 4th or 5th in the Big West and doom their shot at hosting.

Fullerton-LBSU- Long Beach is a long shot for a host site, but not that far fetched. Fullerton sweeping this series takes them out of the discussion.

Michigan-Purdue- UM is one win away from the Big 10 tournament title. The Boilermakers need to beat them twice (once tonight, once tomorrow) to keep this from happening. A Wolverine implosion eliminates them from contention of hosting.

Vandy-Ole Miss- Ole Miss has no shot at hosting, the Commodores have a slight one. The winner advance to be the sacrificial lamb against red hot LSU tomorrow, go Rebs.

And regardless of who they face tomorrow in the Big 12 finale, root against Texas (like any of you would root for them anyway). A strong finish by the Horns will put them in discussion for a site in spite of being nowhere near deserving it. I will barf if they get to host.

Just some food for thought for avid scoreboard watchers.

Comment

you guys are freaks. im just chilling till monday.

Comment

Well, chill til at least tomorrow when they announce the super seeds and host sites :)

Stanford and Oklahoma State have won. KSU now controls its own destiny.

Marshall leads USM 6-2 in the 8th, Irvine leads UCSB 3-1 in the 3rd, USD leads the Waves 9-4 in the 7th, Ole Miss leads Vandy 5-2 in the 4th, and most importantly, Purdue and Michigan are tied 2-2 in the 6th.

Comment

Looks like a late start for K State.Never thought Id be cheering for those purple pansies.

Comment

regional sites are annouced tomorrow around 6 on espn2 during a softball broadcast
                Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Michigans win probably put the final nail in our chances.Now its a real long shot.

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't think WSU will get a regional. The good thing about that is last year I didn't think WSU would get one either.

But, the one thing I realized sitting here and watching almost the whole MVC tournament - as WSU fans we tend to eat our own (guess what? other teams fail to execute). Our perspective become a little skewed because we know our teams weaknesses.

So the question become is this - how does the committee view us?

Positives
                    Won Conference
                    Won Tournament
                    Good track record in Regionals (in fan support)

Negatives
                    SOS 92 - intended SOS before the season was mid-60's. Unfortunately teams on WSU schedule have underperformed.

No marguee wins (WSU last year had win over Pepperdine, couple wins over No. 14 LBS, wins over NU, one over CSF). WSU best wins is sweep of TCU, ORU.

MVC Conference ranked 12 (last year MVC was ranked 7 with 4 teams with RPI less than 70). This year MVC 3 teams with 200+ RPI. This will devalue the positives.

2 Regional teams (NU and OSU) who are more deserving of regional. WSU had less competition in this area last year - and this is probably the biggest difference. Now, maybe they decide that they should send OSU to Wichita as No. 1 seed due to them not having great facilities?

It all depends on what this selection committee decides is important to them - thats the wild card.

Comment

A week ago I would have said 0 chance to host... I'm not holding my breath by any means, the Shox pretty much played themselves out of being a hosting site a long time ago. But, with the way they handled Bradley and the MVC tournament, there might be a sliver of hope.

My humble guess would be maybe 15% chance we host as a 1 seed and 15% chance we host as a 2 seed.

Comment

Looks like KSU beat Baylor, 3-2
                        YOUSUCKITPOX

Comment

We ain't hosting. Had we beat Central Arkansas, EU and Indy State like we should have, it'd be 50/50.

Comment

Hey KC you might want to update dirks stats on your post for best lead off hitter over on the rivals message boards.

Comment

We are not hosting period. It ain't 50/50, it isn't even 1/99. You see, outside of our fishbowl you actually have to beat somebody.
                              THE TRUTH SHALL SET YOU FREE

You can call me Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X