No announcement yet.

All Conference Team and Dirks not MVC Player of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only plausible reason Gene hasn't won since 98 is that the voters are chosing the coach that got the most out of what he had, or in other words did the best job. Voting this way is my preference as well because this award should be about coaching not necessarily who built the most dominate program in the league and wins the most games in a particular year.

On the players side of the voting I think the shockers tend to lose out in the case of a statistical dead heat, but are not denied awards when they are clearly the best
    William, what have you been smokin. Are you kidding me. Ryan Jones got hosed... period. 3 Indiana State outfielders were given accolades and they were in second to last place and were not even close to "statistically dead heat" so get off that horse. Not only that, Aaron Shafer could not have possibly been the 9th best pitcher in this league. The fact is, unless WSU players and coaches have such outstanding "statistical" numbers compared to other teams, they will not be recongnized. I really don't think the coaches and players care today, but 15 years from now, they have every right to be pissed.

How you come on this sight and spew garbage like that is quite frankly disappointing to say the least. Our players get jobbed every year and it is a shame. Striving and expecting excellence year end and year out from not only the fans, but from the players should be rewarded, not snubbed by the other Valley teams that are trying to develop what we already have.

Tell me how Conor or Andy were not "clearly the best" in this league? You my friend are CRAZY. Douglas was very good, but he was not in a "dead heat" and was on, oh by the way ... the fourth place team. Deserving of first team, but POY was a SHOCKER no matter how you look at it!!!!

Comment

My mind = blown.

How did the conversation not go something like this:

Guy 1: Well, we have Dirks, Gillaspie, and Douglas.
      Guy 2: Well, Gillaspie and Douglas have very similar numbers.
      Guy 3: Dirks is a bit behind them in a lot of categories.
      Guy 4: But he was the leadoff guy all season.
      *mumbles*
      Guy 1: Was anyone on base at least once EVERY GAME OF THE SEASON?
      Guy 2: That would be Dirks.
      Guy 3: All in favor of voting Dirks say aye.
      *aye*
      Guy 4: Okay, Dirks gets player of the year.

As for what everyone else said, I agree. He will get an All American nod. He will be playing next week. He is going to go pro and have a chance to do what so many of us only dream about. I have no doubt that Dirks will have the final laugh as it were.

But that still doesn't mean he got hosed, screwed, and bent over.

F it. royalshock, how about a Shockernet Player of the Year award. I nominate Andy Dirks with Gillaspie as a runner up. Anyone else disagree with this vote?

(Been awhile since I've actually seen so many people agree on shockernet.)

PS - When the shox are playing their final game and Dirks is up to the plate in the 7th, probably for the last AB at home, if the fans don't start an MVP chant, I will be very disappointed. Someone make this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by William
        The only plausible reason Gene hasn't won since 98 is that the voters are chosing the coach that got the most out of what he had, or in other words did the best job. Voting this way is my preference as well because this award should be about coaching not necessarily who built the most dominate program in the league and wins the most games in a particular year.

On the players side of the voting I think the shockers tend to lose out in the case of a statistical dead heat, but are not denied awards when they are clearly the best.
        Christenson beaned Molina in 1999. Last time Gene won the award was in 1998. Coincidence?

Valley coaches are just pissy and like holding grudges like llittle 3rd grade girls. I think to most of the coaches/players they don't care. However, players take great pride in taking personal awards and when they deserve to win it, but don't it is bothersome. Wtf is the point of the awards then?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

All I can say is that during basketball season you here the phrase "to the victors go the spoils" given as a reason. Hell Emmenecker won player of the year, why? Because he was the LEADER on the conference champion.

Dirks not only is the leader on the conference champion he also happened to win the conference batting title, most hits in conference, led conference in stolen bases, I beleive doubles, third in runs scored and top 5 in several other offensive categories.

Gillespie said it best in the Eagle "the valley is a joke".

Comment

Did anybody not named Dirks have a hit in every Valley game?

Comment

Just sweep the tourney, win every award...then don't accept them.

Comment

For whatever reason , the 'manager of the year' or 'coach of the year' awards in most sports have become synonymous with 'surprise team of the year'.

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Sitter
                  For whatever reason , the 'manager of the year' or 'coach of the year' awards in most sports have become synonymous with 'surprise team of the year'.
                  I know, it is like Terry Elliot said last night, they always seem to give it to the coach who was picked to finish 7 or 8th and gets 2nd or 3rd, trying winning the conference one time. The coach of the year I don't have as much of a problem with, the fact it has been so long is a joke, but we are expected to win the conference every year, so doing it isn't really a surprise, but you would think the other coaches would realize that it isn't as easy as it looks and Gene would get some recognition one of these years. Hell once he retires they ought to just name the damn award the Missouri Valley Gene Stephenson Coach of the Year Award (just rolls right of the tongue).
                  THERE ARE FLOCKS OF BIRDS AND MANY A CAT ------ BUT ONLY ONE WUSHOCK!

Comment

Originally posted by Hill Sitter

Yeah, it's sort of ridiculous in college sports where the main job of the coach is assembling the team that is capable of performing up to high expectations. In pro sports I get that logic since the head coach / manager largely is tasked with taking what's given to him and maximizing the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by shocks771
                      I think the boys are going to come out a little fired up this week.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/updates/story/409070.html
                      I remember in 2004 when a freshman pitcher did not get a sniff and did real well in the post season and a Freshman AA. The boys will use this to motiviate and show what all the rest missed.

Comment

BTW: Douglas vs. WSU in the 3-game series:
                        4-12
                        0 RBI
                        0 Runs scored
                        wow. that's impressive.
                        :roll:
                        Omaha Dreamin'
                        ShoxJ32

Comment

Jensen?

Well, although the Valley doesn't release vote totals according to Paul Suellentrop, there's little doubt in my mind that having two guys from the same team as good and close in performance as Dirks and Gillaspie were worked to the disadvantage of each.

Meanwhile, I thought this was interesting:

"Bradley reliever Kori Jensen, from Goddard, also received honorable mention." Jensen was 5-0, 5.01, with seven saves, an opposing BA of .289, and 79 baserunners allowed in 46 2/3 innings (enough IP to keep the 5.01 from being blown up by one fluke disaster). I'll give him credit for being 5-0, but is the Valley really that hard up for pitchers?

For what it's worth, the only other Kori I've ever heard of is a grade school girl who lives across the street in my neighborhood. Some parents just don't know when to quit being "distinctive" in their naming.

Comment

Paul S's blog on the matter. Objective overview, I'd say:

Comment

Most of the bottom line folks is this......

When the world is expected of you, anything less is looked upon as a failure.

Winning is the best revenge.

Count the rings.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                                Most of the bottom line folks is this......

When the world is expected of you, anything less is looked upon as a failure.

Winning is the best revenge.

Count the rings.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:
                                In so many ways I agree. I just can't picture any scenario in my head where an OBP of over 500 being anything but the world. Every. Single. Game.

Comment

Working...
                                X